Windscreen surround trim

RedRooster

i done mine on my spit on the car. i just used lots of washing up liquid and persuasion from the handle end of a softwood mallet. and my thumbs. i pushed a lot of it in with my thumbs, and they ached. they ached a lot. the only bit i didnt get quite right was round the corners of the seal, was hard trying to get them not to 'crease'. unless i was doing it all wrong !

I put a C shaped one on my Mk3 GT6 after installing the windscreen.  I tried the 'before' method but couldn't get it to work at all.  I used a special tool which I'll try to find a picture of later and a toothbrush handle that I'd sanded down into a blunt blade type thing.  Was actually very easy once I got the knack.  Much easier than putting a windscreen in which took me hours.

• 9 months later...

Well managed to get the front & rear screens in today 16 years after i took them out, so prgress on the GT6 at last, had another futile go at fitting the front chrome strip, i was starting to get annoyed with it, so called it a day & having a beer instead  :-)
Any suggestions on how to get the trim surround fitted?

would a lacing tool assist the fitment? we use them at work for glazing, should open the rubber up for you to fit the trim, found one on ebay quickly but this is expensive, we use one tool with changeable ends  :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FRANKLIN-Diamond-Lacing-Tool-Windscreen-Rubber-Fit-Set-/160455723245?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item255be808ed

Archived