• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry you feel upset Mike but I think you must have had a different email from Andy to the one I received this pm. I didn't' read it as at all threatening or aggressive but merely reflecting Andy's frustration that despite requests from the organisers, emphasised at the drivers' meetings that the route NOT be published outside the Club some have apparently done this.

No allegations were made against any particular individuals, if the cap fits then it should be worn.

Regards,

Tim

Quoted from Tim Hunt
I'm sorry you feel upset Mike but I think you must have had a different email from Andy to the one I received this pm. I didn't' read it as at all threatening or aggressive but merely reflecting Andy's frustration that despite requests from the organisers, emphasised at the drivers' meetings that the route NOT be published outside the Club some have apparently done this.

No allegations were made against any particular individuals, if the cap fits then it should be worn.

Regards,

Tim

Tim
yes I was upset by the email. I have had a long very busy day at work so maybe I over reacted but I still think it was more aggressive than needed.
And I apologise for not quoting it exactly

"....Can I ask you ALL to speak with your teams and ask them to refrain from publishing the exact route of the event on the internet otherwise I fear I will have to recommend to the CT committee that the event is cancelled."

I don't think I had shared the route with anyone. I did mention it to my wife as she asked where we were going and I was going to share it with Libby, as navigator, but probably wont do that now in case she tells someone else about it.....

time to go offline and have a very large glass of wine.....

mike

From a personal standpoint, the publishing of the electronic copy of the route made life for our team much easier. It was possible to download the route book and load the itinerary into the satnav sat while in the middle east.

However having accidentally broken the same rule about circulating copies a few runs ago, I know that it can be done with the best of intentions (in my case it only went to other teams, who like me were overseas). A suggestion for the future is to put a header in each page "For use by 10CR team members only. Do not circulate"

Looking forward I hope this blows over quickly and we have another enjoyable run. Many thanks to the organizers for all their hard work in arranging the routes.

Howard

Sorry everyone - definitely my fault , I inadvertently published the route here and got an immediate response from Andy F.
Having been a bit indisposed during the drivers meeting on the other side of the planet and with a thread called 10CR Route I was finding it a little confusing that I couldn't find a route map anywhere - obviously I now understand.
Mike B , sorry about your email angst - blame it on me - as we all know emails can not convey the same emotions as intended by the writer to one and all.

Quoted from Raider

But can't you make Cortina from say 8pm Friday night? With all if us staying in hotels in/near Cortina you are bound to bump into us!

As I wrote before, I live three hours by car far from Cortina. It's far enough to discourage me to drive there only to hope to meet some of you lurking around while the others are chilling, eating or sleeping in their hotels after a tiring driving day. Not to mention that I would probably need to get some hours off from my job to be there in time.

I posted here to understand if and how this thing could be done but it's just too complicated. 🙂

PS: I'm really sorry to have been the cause of the quarrel above. As for me, I didn't see the route shared by andy because he removed it before I visited the forum.

I've started another thread in the members' section to enable participants to discuss specifics of the route without sharing them outside the Club.

Sorry , link no longer available

I can understand the organisers getting upset as they take on a lot of responsibility in organising an event like this.
I'd suggest any overseas well wishers who want to support or view the event would be best off contacting the organisers directly.

Keith

This is the message I get:-

" One of the following errors was encountered while accessing this board ...
•Problem Verifying your Access to this Board
If this board uses verification, you must use a valid username.

•Board Data could not be Found or is Corrupt
If you encounter this, contact the system administrator immediately.
"

I am logged in under my account and as you'll see my account shows me as Club member below the avatar.

Quoted from cliftyhanger
Thanks, I just found the email..seems I missed that...now to remember how to put it into the Garmin!

Now that is the really hard part. I gave up and phoned Garmin after two days trying. Make sure you download all their updates before you try & then connect your SatNav to the computer and make sure it is recognised before you run Garmin Express / Base Camp

H

Garmin 13XX don't do routes...... just saying.  Mine is a 1340.  Tempted to just load a few critical points - start, hotels etc and use maps for the rest.  All our nav cock-ups on previous events have been sat-nav induced - failure to properly supervise it.  It still has no idea where Luxembourg is.  Should probably bin it and get a better one.....

Nick

Quoted from Nick Jones
Tempted to just load a few critical points - start, hotels etc and use maps for the rest.
Nick

That's exactly what I have done. Plumb in the next overnight then ignore it and use the maps. Refer to the Satnav for ETA and if running late you can always then use the Satnav route.

We used the 'route' two or three 10CRs ago and found whenever we left the route the satnav would send us back to the bit we missed - not good. Last time we just put a town in 50 or so miles up the road on the route. Served us well apart from Italy where a whole lot of new roads drove us to...distraction!

I've got a rather elderly Michelin map book "Germany, Benelux, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic 2009", which does seem to have all the roads on it, but is difficult to get a sense of the overall route and your are always flipping pages.  Also some Michelin folding maps of Germany (71, Northern Italy (562) and Switzerland (729), which have most of the route on between them.

I did look in a couple of local bookshops for a more up to date map book, but the ones on offer were far inferior to the Michelin one.

Nick

Quoted from Raider
That's what I am using but a 2015 version plus a 2009 Michelin Italy  road atlas I already had 😉

That's we are using. Route drawn on it (does hurt drawing on a map...) and coloured tabs added to the pages. Sometimes the continuation page number on the map aren't correct and take you to the wrong page, hence the added tabs.
I have also printed out a Google page showing the whole days route so you get an overview of where you are going or have been!

Mike