What have you done recently or are planning to do soon to your Triumph?

Tim Bancroft

My wife and son used our recently purchased Saloon to travel to Gloucester to spend New Years with my mother in-law.

Being outside in almost 48 hours of continuous rain has highlighted a significant leak with the front passenger footwell turning into a paddling pool!

I've removed the carpets from that area to let them dry out. At this stage I am unsure where the water is gaining entry. 

Over the Christmas period I replaced  the drivers door and aperture seals and that footwell was dry.

So I am thinking I will start by replacing the same seals on the passenger door.

I am removing the dashboard and facia this weekend so that I can gain access to the defective heater unit. Once that lots out it will give me a clear view of the inside edge of the windscreen seal and surrounding metalwork. The outer side of the windscreen seal has sealant on it, so perhaps a new screen seal is the solution.

Rubber ducks now on order from Amazon!

Bruce

SPITFIRE 1500,

Strip out interior , and rebuild /recover/repair both seats. Strip dash, remove horrid black paint on dials to expose perfect chrome, polish bezels and wood etc. sound proof, re colour vinyl, inc recovering the internal wheel arches, clean original carpet, de fur and re assemble. Issues; removing centre brace above transmission is a pain in the A, my seatbelt warning light is now permanently on, who can put the black spacers on the window winder back on !!   

3 hours ago, Geoff Tipping said:

SPITFIRE 1500,

Strip out interior , and rebuild /recover/repair both seats. Strip dash, remove horrid black paint on dials to expose perfect chrome, polish bezels and wood etc. sound proof, re colour vinyl, inc recovering the internal wheel arches, clean original carpet, de fur and re assemble. Issues; removing centre brace above transmission is a pain in the A, my seatbelt warning light is now permanently on, who can put the black spacers on the window winder back on !!   

Replacing the winder is a lot easier if you have some clamping scissors for the pin https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/scissors/1369853?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_PMAX_RS+PRO-_--_-1369853&matchtype=&&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAqNSsBhAvEiwAn_tmxSANJTFhkfyyWtuf_-_n_7cLHyaY79-WF8S22LCAHwcsOicp8-8itRoCI1UQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

All I've achieved since the start of December is to migrate the Spitfire to the new house, Dolomite still sitting in mum's drive waiting to be brought over. 😞
House move, DIY and all the other seasonal distractions very much taking time away from Triumphing at the moment!

• 4 months later...

Well, I worked on the saloon yesterday in order to spot the problem(s) and or find solutions. I have a problem unsolved since Jan 7th Starting with this problem

I reset the PRV at the exact request 106-110 before cranking (new, for Bosch pump). OK

I checked ignition and it's good on all sparks (cleaned and gaped BP6ES) OK

Surprisingly, the advance setting was wrong whereas i did it a few weeks ago! (The disributor was grinded by the metal ring retainer!) OK

Vacuum at the master cylinder and depression tank strong and hold OK

In the french roadbook, the timing is supposedly set at 7 BTDC (non dynamic?), but when i checked with vacuum gauge, i had less than 5 Hg. In order to get a better vacuum, i had to increase the timing up to close 18° and got 12-13Hg but not stable.

Also what i have checked before valves gaps OK and also  the admission throttles are unbalanced :

- Throttle left (c6-c5) even,

- throttle center (c4-c3) left is weaker than right

- throttle right (c2-c1) left is weaker than right

- c6, c5, c3, c1 are even so the admission is a bit unbalanced.

Could it be a leak at the inlet outlet gasket causing those vacuum troubles?

Had my Spit Mk4 almost 2 years now. And although I've done more to it than wanted to originally (who hasn't!) I've now just ordered original spec suspension rear dampers and fronts with springs. Front was lowered by PO and has Spax adjustables. I may regret swapping back to stock but I need to know :)

After only managing to get a non-manual replacement gearlever - due to more PO Tom Foolery: wrong metal shroud shredding the round plastic  cover, I've made my own wooden gear knob to house the existing overdrive switch. Not the best pic but you can see the correct 'round' meal cover below it as it should've been. 

I'm also quite pleased with the edits I've made to the dash. Installed with relayed switches for electronic fuel pump (this has just started 'banging' when hot, so might get replaced), all the lights and a newly acquired oil pressure gauge. There had been a hole in the centre for far too long waiting for it, so risked one made from Chinesium. Seems ok so far and can't moan about the quality.

Hope to see some local club members again soon if the sun comes out - might see me flying around Beachy Head when it does. 

gearknob.png

new dash.png

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 06/05/2024 at 17:16, rog1300 said:

I've now just ordered original spec suspension rear dampers

Be interested to know how you get on with these; I bought a pair of 'standard' rear dampers a couple of years ago for my new swing-spring converted Mk3 Spit. They were too soft, which only really became apparent cruising on the motorway - the rear end would oscillate up and down at certain speeds. Was a bit of a head-scratcher but eventually I swapped back to the old stiffer dampers and the oscillation disappeared. 

Pete

Edit: gearknob looks very nice! And I like the dashboard labelling

Edited by PeteStupps

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/05/2024 at 19:45, PeteStupps said:

Be interested to know how you get on with these; I bought a pair of 'standard' rear dampers a couple of years ago for my new swing-spring converted Mk3 Spit. They were too soft, which only really became apparent cruising on the motorway - the rear end would oscillate up and down at certain speeds. Was a bit of a head-scratcher but eventually I swapped back to the old stiffer dampers and the oscillation disappeared. 

Pete

Edit: gearknob looks very nice! And I like the dashboard labelling

Cheers Pete.  TBH it feels good at the back - managed indicated 60mph on trip to Hove so no issues 'yet' lol. Just changed all the front suspension from Spax Adjustables to standard as well - I need to see how it feels!

Now the front suspension is all back to original along with replaced anti-roll bar bushes (std), new track rod ends and the little uplinks from anti-roll bar - bushes had all perished. Tightened the 27mm steering wheel bolt - sorry I would state imperial but haven't added full spec of new tools to my Spurs (Don't support the Gunners so... :) ) and re-did the steering shaft first clamp. All nice and tight again with no play. Goodridge brake hoses all round and vented grooved front discs & green pads. 

MOT next - just for peace of mind - even though we don't need them, always a good idea me thinks. 

Anyone recommend a place in or near Eastbourne for the MOT - somewhere that will treat her well??

Cheers all. 

osf suspension.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rog1300 said:

MOT next - just for peace of mind - even though we don't need them, always a good idea me thinks. 

Anyone recommend a place in or near Eastbourne for the MOT - somewhere that will treat her well??

Cheers all. 

I have enquired with some locals. One has recommended Visick cars, waiting to hear from some others, see what they say (I am in Hove, my local Motest is excellent)

• Like 1

On 04/05/2024 at 09:49, frenchiemk2 said:

- c6, c5, c3, c1 are even so the admission is a bit unbalanced.

Could it be a leak at the inlet outlet gasket causing those vacuum troubles?

Have you checked the valve clearances and cylinder compressions?

or it could be air leaks from the throttle spindles.

Mabel’s engine out  stripped, boxed and labelled and off to be reconditioned, new spitfire mk2 camshaft, followers, valves, guides and Springs, maybe a pitted head 😊 timing chain kit, will have rebore, new pistons and crank grind and new bearings, twin HS2’s 

should  be done ready to go back in the car in a month or so