What have you done recently or are planning to do soon to your Triumph?

Tim Bancroft

2000 Mk1 Estate:

Getting ready for engine/box installation, noticed that the engine block (late GT6) had dowel fitted at approx 008 degrees off centre, the bell housing didn't have a corresponding hole, bit of dremel action removed the protruding dowel after mole grips failed to shift it. Transmission tunnel received a coat of paint, this is on top of rust converter, hopefully stay solid for a while. Distributor drive gear fitted with extension piece, coil bracket painted, coil fitted. Engine cross-member & ARB fitted to engine. Engine & Gearbox placed onto their trollies, ready for mating and positioning under the car, ready for fitting on Wednesday.

• Like 2

err... Mk1 2.5 PI  Estate (ish)

Engine, gearbox, OD & PAS rack now installed, a fun day was had by Dave Harvey & I with the installation. The supplied clutch release bearing carrier operating lever had been welded previously, this put the arms out of true, rendering it useless, luckily the lever from the 'box I'd removed from the car was fine and was pressed into service. 

PAS.jpg

short motor in.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, frenchiemk2 said:

Step1 KONI at rear (really need front too)

☺️

20231116_104617.jpg

The complete Koni & Eibach springs kit from James Shackford transforms the car, almost completely dialling out roll in corners, I was very impressed when I fitted it on my Mk2

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Triumph Mk1 Estate (2.5PI homage)

Yesterday I fitted the cylinder head & trial fitted the manifolds, I was expecting to have to do some fettling due to the 6-3-1 exhaust manifold & the PAS pipework but was pleasantly surprised to find it all went on ok, I couldn't button it all up as I didn't have the TB studs to hand, I will sort this out during the coming week.

Today I fitted the rocker shaft & adjusted the tappets, then I moved to the rear of the car and removed the fuel tank. With my car being a PFL model, it had a smaller tank than the later estates, I wanted to fit the later tank. In order to get the larger tank in, I had to remove the O/S floor support bar, this will be replaced by a removable bar, I also had to remove the inboard support bracket, this will be replaced by another bracket further along the axle tunnel. Unfortunately my limited testing of this tank didn't spot a slight weep, I will have to remove it and get the tank repaired, at least I have proved that it is a viable solution, the spare tyre fits fine and won't interfere with the Lucas Pump, PRV or filter (latter isn't fitted in pic, will be mounted higher up)

Head.JPG

tank.jpg

tank2.jpg

• Like 1

Hi guys, 

I want to operate the transmission fluids maintenance on the Pi Mk2, but 1 info is missing about oil quality

I know the oil type is the same for raer axle and gearbox : SAE 90 but if you have other advice...

Rear axle oil capacity is 1.15l

gearbox oil capacity 1.42l.

Thanks

Edited by frenchiemk2

Gearbox 75W90 GL4 (I usually use Redline MT90 but not essential)

Rear axle EP 75W90 GL4 or something a little heavier (I tend to use Redline shockproof heavy)

Probably modern GL5 rated oil is ok too and gives better lubrication of crown wheel and pinion but some will point to concerns about GL5 additives attacking yellow metals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Triumph Mk1 Estate (2.5PI homage)

Friday: I was concerned at how tight the engine was to turn, the rocker adjustment screws were backed right out to fit too, clearly the head has been skimmed & the rods were too long. I am using standard 8.11" rods, Revington appear to have discontinued the 7.95" they used to offer, that left pedestal shims, I collected a set from Mark Field and stripped the rockers off again, fitted the shims, refitted the rockers and adjusted, the engine rotates much happier and the rocker adjustment is normal. I then fitted the metering unit, I had never done one before and was concerned about screwing it up, my MU is a KMI recon, they tell you NOT to remove No6 port, simply to line up marks on the input shaft, I did this and, having set the engine to TDC with No1 on its firing stroke the slots looked to line up, the MU went on without any issue, I will have to wait to see if it's ok.

Saturday: I thought the trial fitting of the manifolds had gone rather too smoothly, when I came to bolt them up I discovered that the exhaust manifold fouls two of the lower row of mounting studs. This is the row that has the acorn clamps across the exhaust & inlet manifold flanges. I realised that I had to fit two of the acorn clamps before pushing the exhaust manifold home, this meant that two of the throttle bodies were now fouling on the clamps when I tried to fit them. Long story short, some grinding wheel action on the acorn clamps resolved the issue, all fastenings now done up. 

GT6 Mk1

Oil & filter change, a horribly messy job, the  poor clearance of the spin on filter doesn't help here, done for another few months.

manifolds fitted.JPG

• Like 2

14 hours ago, frenchiemk2 said:

Hi

Does a swaybar improve the driving of rhe Pi and does the Stag one fit to the mk2 ? 

Thanks

Lots of people think it does, others don’t.

I found I much preferred stiffer springs, Chris Witor 200lb on front and 575lb  ( I think they were) on the rear.

All estates had an anti-roll bar, as did the 2.5S, with its soft suspension.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

Lots of people think it does, others don’t.

I found I much preferred stiffer springs, Chris Witor 200lb on front and 575lb  ( I think they were) on the rear.

All estates had an anti-roll bar, as did the 2.5S, with its soft suspension.

Thanks, i didn't know the estate ans the 2.5S had it

According to ordering in GB, i admit that i'm bored of double VAT + fees... but i'll have a look at the springs. Unfortunately i have no relatives in GB.

7 hours ago, frenchiemk2 said:

According to ordering in GB, i admit that i'm bored of double VAT + fees... but i'll have a look at the springs. Unfortunately i have no relatives in GB.

You shouldnt be paying VAT twice! Company here should deduct it and its then paid in country of delivery. Unfortunately cant avoid import duty now though....