What have you done recently or are planning to do soon to your Triumph?

Tim Bancroft

On 06/09/2023 at 18:10, Wendy Dawes said:

Collected Mabel’s newly refurbished HS2 carbs from Andrew Turner of Turner Carbs in Colsterworth Lincolnshire.  A lovely job he made of them.   Now to get a mk2 spitfire exhaust manifold then to get them fitted during winter lay up along with the J type overdrive gearbox and replace the front trunnions 

IMG_1071.jpeg

IMG_1072.jpeg

They look lovely but what's a winter lay up ?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

2000 Estate: 2l engine & A type OD 'box removed, heater & blower removed, radiator removed. Engine bay cleaned & degreased, paintwork titivated (rattle cans), wheel arches derusted, rust treatment applied then undersealed. Transmission tunnel degreased, rust treatment applied. Strut gaiters replaced, tie rods & steering linkages powder coated, reconditioned PAS rack fitted to cleaned & painted x-member. Engine x-member & gearbox x-members powder coated. Heater box painted, NOS matrix fitted along with reconditioned heater valve, refitted to engine bay, twin speed wiper motor fitted with additional wiring added, additional wiring bulkhead grommets fitted to facilitate PI Fuel Pump wiring, inertia switch fitted to N/S wing for fuel pump supply, will have twin relay alongside (providing redundancy in situ). I am now ready to fit the engine & gearbox, planned for the 15th Nov.

GT6: Has finally returned from France, the recovery took one month, car looks very sad & damp, should be back on road w/c 6th Nov, no room to store at home though until the Estate work is complete (est late Dec)

PI Saloon: tucked up in neighbour's garage, hoping to check on condition today.

FRONT.jpg

left.jpg

rack.JPG

Edited by iani
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Howard said:

Just replaced the brake light switch on my 7 which failed yesterday. Its a job best suited to an Octopus as you have to work upside down under the dash and need at least three pairs of very small hand....

Been there with my Herald, even less room, upside down, legs over the back of driver seat head under the dash connecting the speedo drive into the back of the clock.  🙄

• Like 1

Last few weeks I've been tidying up small jobs on the Spitfire from the RBRR

• Running hot - I think replacing the thermostat has sorted this, no signs of blockage when flushing the rad. Needs a good run to test it though
  • Rear view mirror - plastic mounting was cracked so it wobbled around all over the place and some of the mirror was gone - replaced it with a good used one
  • Steering wheel - was mis-aligned from centre for the whole run... not important but annoying. Re-aligned!
  • Indicator stalk - was getting a bit vague and using the indicators sometimes resulted in also getting high-beam! So I changed it for a new one... what a difference! Much more positive action.

Edited by yorkshire_spam
  • Like 2

Installed a tripmaster for the saloon Pi. A touch of sports for the car, and as my mate Philippe an I are participating to regional historical vehicles races, maybe ready for doing so or 2nd car ready. Easy to uninstall with no visible mount damage.

Great opportunity 2nd hand sales for cheap. All functional with GPS signal.

20231108_102653_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Brilliant, I could really do with something like that for some of the events we do as the trip meters in both our Triumphs are rubbish.

Before we had it, we used this on smartphone, GPSTRIP which is very usefull ! We still use it at safety : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gpstrip&pcampaignid=web_share

• Like 1

21 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Brilliant, I could really do with something like that for some of the events we do as the trip meters in both our Triumphs are rubbish.

The Terratrip 303 does average speed so won’t be suitable for many MSUK permitted events.

You would need the 202 Classic.

worth getting the wheel sensor as well, if likely to go anywhere without GPS signal (tunnels etc)

• Like 1

I use a Monit tripmeter as I do quite a few scenic tours which use Tulip diagrams for the route. It was also used as a backup on the RBRR as it is very accurate with the mileage and so could be used with the roadbook supplied. You can also get a "recce car" pack with the Monit which includes a windscreen mount, remote reset button, and GPS receiver, (saves having to calibrate the trip meter which you have to do with a wheel sensor, and you don't very often go through a tunnel long enough to worry about the GPS signal). It also can act as a speedo and has various other useful functions, and works in all light situations - you sometimes can't read the Terratrip in bright sunlight.

9 hours ago, frenchiemk2 said:

What do they need on those events?

Most, if not all historic rallies run in the UK come under the jurisdiction of Motorsports UK (MSUK) rules. They have banned any trip meter which displays average speed as it gives an advantage on regularity rallies where the average speed varies over the route of the regularity.

The photo shows the set up in my rally TR4, which has a Brantz 2Pro which is allowed as it displays actual speed, alongside the two clocks,

Dave

20231023_162811.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1