What have you done recently or are planning to do soon to your Triumph?

Tim Bancroft

Put some little white dots on my new (keep as emergency spare) dizzy top so that should I need to change it I know which plug lead goes where, basic I know but i have the brain the size of a pin head 🙄 The plug leads are also marked, obviously.

• Like 1

Spitfire out of the garage.... first time since (I think) May 2020! Started, ran ok, a quick run up the road and back to see how she's set for the MOT.

Engine not so smooth at very light throttle, but pulls nicely all the way up to 5500 RPM.

Slight pull to the off side under very heavy braking (maybe some rust on the discs?)

Very happy. A few more checks and I'll be confident to book the MOT.

Not done anything on the Vitesse (needs a front valance and headlights) or the GT6 (seats need rebuilding) but took the Spitfire out to our local pub meet last night. It's running nicely but would benefit from the right advance curve in the distributor.

16 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Spitfire out of the garage.... first time since (I think) May 2020! Started, ran ok, a quick run up the road and back to see how she's set for the MOT.

Engine not so smooth at very light throttle, but pulls nicely all the way up to 5500 RPM.

Slight pull to the off side under very heavy braking (maybe some rust on the discs?)

Very happy. A few more checks and I'll be confident to book the MOT.

Get some fresh fuel in there, chances are in a year its started to go off

My 13/60 didn't like the fact that I wanted it to take me into town to get 'sticky buns' from the baker for breakfast, it refused to start I suppose it was too early in the day ...

Put it on charge, don't think it really needed it though, then just before lunch - turn key vroommmm! I suppose it could have been caused by petrol evaporation in the system, I didn't crank it for all that long nor prime it. I wanted my breakfast! 

Maybe battery is getting past it, it is quite old but not sure just how old. I'm going to try it out every day for a while to see, not too early though as the poor thing needs its beuty sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

MOT tomorrow for the Spitfire, if it passes then I'll book the Dolomite in for next Saturday morning, if it fails I'll book the retest.

Interestingly for both cars if I do an online MOT check it now shows as "no information" even though both have had plenty of tests in the last few years. Probably something to do with them both being MOT exempt. 

Edited by yorkshire_spam

57 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

MOT tomorrow for the Spitfire, if it passes then I'll book the Dolomite in for next Saturday morning, if it fails I'll book the retest.

Interestingly for both cars if I do an online MOT check it now shows as "no information" even though both have had plenty of tests in the last few years. Probably something to do with them both being MOT exempt. 

That's odd Sam. I just checked on the GOV website and found the MOT history for my 4A back to 2005 no problem.

Tim

2 hours ago, Tim Hunt said:

That's odd Sam. I just checked on the GOV website and found the MOT history for my 4A back to 2005 no problem.

Tim

It could be that I'm a numpty. The MOT specific checker is working as expected, the more generic "dvla vehicle check" https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ shows no MOT data!

I spent last Sunday cutting out a new centre dash panel for our GT6. This is to permit the fitment of a voltmeter and relocation of the oil pressure gauge from the left hand air vent. I also took the opportunity to dismantle and clean the gauges. 

image.thumb.png.6b78f0def08b1971698b90e272da7fa8.png

20210614_225606.jpg

Edited by Rubce
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

My OCD couldn't cope with 3 uppy gauges and 1 downy gauge.... I spent hours and hours and hours on eBay etc until I found a pressure gauge to "match" (Still not 100% happy as it has slightly different type-face)

image.png.853c2be5b2741c2481b7f9a0e13baa12.png

I keep telling him that Sam.

Tony.

2 hours ago, Ben Hutchings said:

It looks good. And if you can't cope with it, all you need to do is find 3 other Jaeger ones 😬

I actually looked at getting white letter decals made in the Smiths type face and then I could use a scrap gauge face, bare metal and repaint and then apply the decals. But I thought spending ££££ just to make the type-face match was getting silly!

In preparation for the C2C ... I have treated the TR7 to a new water pump... How much!  There was slight seepage at this and inlet manifold so all was cleaned and replaced.

Whilst fixing this I decided to fit a new DAB aerial as the last suffered too much drop out. I took the console out and then noticed a metal 'cup' on the top of the gear change lever broken off, a dab of weld will fix that, so I took off the inspection hatch then found the gear box remote was wobbling a lot, a slight investigation found the four rear bushes has disintegrated and the front ones were well on there way.  Sadly I knew know different. The remote was cleaned and new bushes fitted.