CT Essex Rally 18th Oct - Entries Open

sparky_spit

The weather turned out pretty well, as was hoped, and most crews seemed to do okay on the actual event, nearly all coming in well on time and with not that many failures.  I hope that this means that the balance between too easy or too hard was about right, and people enjoyed themselves.

On collecting all the code boards this morning the suspicions were confirmed and I found that the last board in section 4 (P) was indeed missing. Well, not exactly missing but rather 20ft into the field with its stick snapped.  To allow for this I have redone the results and everyone now has one fewer fail than before.  This also means that the winners went round completely clean on zero fails, so very well done to Charlie Deards and Ellis Stokes for a fine performance.

Abbreviated results are below, also with a few low-res pictures. Full results and some other stuff to allow you to do your own post-mortem will be emailed to all entrants and marshals after I've finished typing this.  I will also add some more full size pictures to the events album later.

Many thanks to the 4 marshals - you did a great job and I really appreciate your time and effort. And thanks also to all the competitors, your good humour and witty sarcasm 😉 made it an enjoyable day for me too.

Results are:
1st Overall and 1st Expert - Charlie Deards/Ellis Stokes  0 Fails
2nd Overall and 2nd Expert -  Michael Helm/Colin Wake 1 Fail
3rd Overall and 3rd Expert - Mike Bishop/Darren Armitage 2 Fails and 16 TB points
4th Overall and 4th Expert - Peter Jackson/Mark Rutter  2 Fails and 12 TB points
5th Overall and 1st Novice -  Jonathan Fallowell/Alex Joslin  3 Fails
6th Overall and 2nd Novice - Clive Senior/Gill Senior  4 Fails
7th Overall and 5th Expert - Dale Barker/Nigel Abdullah  5 Fails
8th Overall and 3rd Novice - Richard Warr/Byron Checketts  10 Fails
9th Overall and 4th Novice -  David Aspinall/Louise Crow  16 Fails

1st Beginner - Rob Pearce/Iris Chiu with 9 Points
2nd Beginner - Keith Bennet/Chas Commander with 3 Points

As said, full results will be emailed; if there are any questions then please just ask.

Some pictures:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from RobPearce

I believe it's not uncommon on the big saloons, and has something to do with alignment of diff nose to gearbox coupled with play in UJs/quill shaft. I can't remember the details as my PI didn't suffer it and it's a long time since I had the S.

Thanks Rob. Sounds like some investigation is needed, but at least I was thinking of the right area.

Thanks Mike and team for all your effort and time in making it such a great event, Ellis and I really enjoyed the driving and navigation. It was a real shock for us NL folk to come and steal the trophy away from under the noses of Essex lads on their home turf!
Mike will you be doing a report for the next issue of the mag?

Thanks again

Charlie & Ellis

Quoted from richard w

On another note and a bit of thread drift (sorry!) any ideas what could cause a rhythmic "thrumming" noise. It started each time we got over 60 mph and sounded as if it might be coming from the propshaft........

Richard

Sounds more like a rear wheel bearing to me. Have you got a spare hub and drive shaft you can try before you start crawling underneath?

If you need to borrow a drive-shaft Rich, I have a few knocking around. I bought them as spares for my car, and I don't know what condition they're in, but as it's a relatively simple job to change the driveshaft on these cars (ie, no messing around with brakes) it could be worth a go just to check?

Thanks for the offer Jon, might be worth a try.  The other thing I thought was to try swapping the wheels and tyres, which are very old and mis-matched, with the Stag ones that I still have and see if the noise is still there.

The dilemma I have is that I don't want to spend too much on it until it's had its first MOT at the end of November (just in case the chassis has been made of wrapping paper!) once that's out of the way I'll do whatever is necessary.

Quoted from thescrapman

2 hours in 40 degree heat on a French garage forecourt...

Actually that was TR6, but not too dissimilar.

... and here's a link to a picture from that particular instruction manual, probably 1 hour in 🙂

[Sorry, link no longer available]