CT Essex Rally 18th Oct - Entries Open

sparky_spit

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going that way you'll pass me too. I hadn't thought about that route, though. From Cambridge the "most obvious" is M11/A120 but A14/A12 makes sense too, although perhaps the A134 from Bury has something going for it? Anyway, what time are you expecting to pass Milton (A14 J33, with A10)?

Quoted from RobPearce
If you're going that way you'll pass me too. I hadn't thought about that route, though. From Cambridge the "most obvious" is M11/A120 but A14/A12 makes sense too, although perhaps the A134 from Bury has something going for it? Anyway, what time are you expecting to pass Milton (A14 J33, with A10)?

Colchester to places such as Bedford and Peterborough was one of my regular journies. Over the top via the A14 is about 20 miles further, but you can sit in the lorry ruts and cruise and the chance of delays is pretty slim. Going via teh A120 is the same time, but the A120 gets a bit rubbish east of Braintree and round Stansted Airport. But at 8am on a Sunday, shouldn't be a problem.

When I used to work at Ginetta in Suffolk I used the A14 every other weekend for coming back to Coventry so I know that route well, and fairly early on a Sunday morning it should be fairly clear. Would prefer to stick to dual carriageways as much as possible.

Richard, I think the easiest place to meet will be the Rothwell services just after junction 4 on the A14, so could get fuel there and possibly breakfast too, but as it's a MacDonalds I don't really want to eat there haha. Could be a good place to meet though as it's actually on route, and anywhere else is off route for either of us. Is that okay?

Colin - Not sure if that's possible as the store opens at 10 and I anticipate we'll be passing there just before 9...

Rob, I anticipate being at Milton between 7.30 and 8.

Richard, I have to say I am anticipating averaging the speed limit wherever possible on the trip down there. My Lemon doesn't like the lower end of the rev range.... Officer.

Jon, Rothwell services sounds ok.  My ex in-laws live in March, Cambs. so I know the M6/A14 pretty well as far as Huntingdon.  It'll only be the second decent trip that I've done in mine since getting it, so I'm not sure how good it'll be on the quicker roads - we'll see 😲

Richard

P.S. Bit strange typing that - one of my mates at college was called Jon Rothwell!

OK, if you're happy to pick up a GT6 in your little convoy we'll meet you at Milton. The most obvious place to meet would probably be Tesco - it's a couple of hundred yards off the junction on the Milton village road (which is on the correct side so no going all round the roundabout needed).

Right, okay, so I need to remember to stop at Rothwell and then at Milton. Going to the Tescos shouldn't be an issue as it's not 'off route' as such.

Rob, how long does it take you to get to the Tesco? Just thinking AJ (my nav) could text you when we are a certain distance away so you're not waiting too long or we don't wait too long.

Richard, we'll see how it goes. 65 or so should be an okay cruising speed? Even a 2000 auto shouldn't be too stressed at that!

I'll PM you guys so we can swap mobile numbers.

Quoted from sparky_spit
An updated Entry List, with updated starting order and times, has been emailed to all competitors and marshals.

The weather for Sunday looks reasonable at present, and I look forward to seeing you all then.

Mike

Hi Mike

Did you send me an email? if so nothing has been received

Cheers

Darren

Thanks Mike and the marshals for great rally. You got the level just about right and we enjoyed the tiebreaker questions. A good route to drive according to Pete and some pleasant country side for me to look at in-between looking at my navigation.
Thanks Mark and Pete

Yup, and again. AJ and I really enjoyed it, hope to be back for future events too! Stuck some ear plugs in for the drive back - if you can't hear the noises it's not broken right??

Glad we didn't do any extreme off-roading, although we did find a grass bank at one point thanks to me not spotting a turning in time haha.

Best of all, the car behaved well all day and did the best part of 400 miles, about 40 times more than it's done in any one day since the 2012 RBRR!

Mike, once again, many thanks for the event, and glad you got a strong turn out to! It's always nice to get a near full contingent of vehicles along!

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Yup, and again. AJ and I really enjoyed it, hope to be back for future events too! Stuck some ear plugs in for the drive back - if you can't hear the noises it's not broken right??

Glad we didn't do any extreme off-roading, although we did find a grass bank at one point thanks to me not spotting a turning in time haha.

Best of all, the car behaved well all day and did the best part of 400 miles, about 40 times more than it's done in any one day since the 2012 RBRR!

Mike, once again, many thanks for the event, and glad you got a strong turn out to! It's always nice to get a near full contingent of vehicles along!

It was over 500 for me door to door - the most I've done in it since I bought it. Again the car performed brilliantly, if slowly, a door seal for the passenger door is on the shopping list though. Byron couldn't hear himself think by the time I dropped him off!

On another note and a bit of thread drift (sorry!) any ideas what could cause a rhythmic "thrumming" noise. It started each time we got over 60 mph and sounded as if it might be coming from the propshaft.  I know that sounds can travel oddly through a car and not originate where you think, but could it be that the propshaft is out of balance, or have a worn bearing or UJ?

Anyway thanks again Mike

Richard

Quoted from richard w
On another note and a bit of thread drift (sorry!) any ideas what could cause a rhythmic "thrumming" noise. It started each time we got over 60 mph and sounded as if it might be coming from the propshaft.  I know that sounds can travel oddly through a car and not originate where you think, but could it be that the propshaft is out of balance, or have a worn bearing or UJ?

I believe it's not uncommon on the big saloons, and has something to do with alignment of diff nose to gearbox coupled with play in UJs/quill shaft. I can't remember the details as my PI didn't suffer it and it's a long time since I had the S.