Well car 75 never got past Newcastle, burn't out starter that shorted out all the electrics.
Looking back on the event is it a good idea?

The car has now cost me money to fix it, it has cost me £69 in breakdown cover, it has cost me in petrol, it has cost me in annual leave, it has cost me in entry fee... it has cost me extra insurance, for co-driver and for what, no sponsor money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoke to my girlfriend and my co-driver about this event and is driving that kind of distance in 48 hrs really worth it.

The 10cr was tough last year, but at least there were stops and there were nice places to see, ok we didn't see scotland and Wales, but you don't see that much at night.

The event pushes the cars and the drivers to the limit, but surely this is dangerous for the drivers. We drive a 2 seater car, like most of the cars in the RBRR so we can only swap with each other, and have you ever tried sleeping in an old 2 seater sports car in the daytime whilst moving, very hard.

I saw a program last night on the car channel DAVE and they were talking about tiredness and being drunk. And it was concluded that tiredness was the worse killer of the two.

So i have made the decision not to do another RBRR again. I think it is too demanding on the drivers making it too dangerous for drivers and other road users, to the point that it does not become fun anymore. I like looking at and enjoying the scenary who wouldn't but i see very little point in one killing one's self in the process.

I hope everybody had fun who completed the event.

But i hear that there was a crash............there was also a crash at the last 10CR as well!!!!!!!!  maybe a trend here.

Maybe an extra day could be thrown in to the event or instead of making the run in the autum when we lose 4 hrs of daylight between dusk and dawn, maybe it could be run mid summer when it doesn't get dark til 10:30 at night and dawn comes up at 5:00am!

My future father-in-law summed it up. Maybe you should have just donated the £300 petrol to the RNLI in the first place that way the RNLI would have been given £36,000 anyway.

Just my views

Sexysi

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

History shows the RBRR isn't a huge danger? It's not safe, but driving never is.

I know of three accidents on this years RBRR. Two were at the same place and caused by diesel on the road. The police have no issues with either. I know nothing about the third accident.

On the way to Didcot we got held up in traffic due to a car accident. Nothing to do with the RBRR at all. There are accidents everywhere everyday.

I understand what you're saying but feel these are important points to make.

If you're not comfortable with the event in its entirety then you're right in not taking part. I know I'm already getting excited about the next and do plan to do it in the Herald again. :)

Si - I don't think you are in a position to question "is it too dangerous" "is it worth it" as you never got past Newcastle... not more than 1/8 of the way round.

I've never heard such sour grapes from an RBRR non-finisher...

As for the costs - cost of fixing? you would have to have done this anyway within 260 miles... cost of breakdown? nearly every classic policy I know comes with it... cost in petrol? it cost everyone else a whole lot more as they went all the way around... the entry fee and insurance - and anything else that is set... that's the risk you take when entering...

I knew before I entered the RBRR that at the end I would either be looking forward to the next one, or regretting having bothered at all. I'm glad to say I thoroughly enjoyed it and I will be back in 2010.

Ours was a team of three, and I have to say I would not be confident about doing the run with just two crew members. As far as I am aware, two crashes were caused by diesel on the road in one location, while the third was caused by a holidaymaker driving into one of th RBRR participants. Unfortunate incidents, but I don't think we should read too much into them statistically.

The argument for doing the run earleir in the year when there is longer daylight is fine, but the accidents on diesel both occurred during daylight, I don't know details of the third incident.

Ultimately, the RBRR isn't right for everyone. If you're uncomfortable with it, then you've made the right decision not to do it again. But for many of us though, it's a thoroughly enjoyable event which also raises money for a good cause.

Cheers,
Bill.

jcarruthers wrote:
Si - I don't think you are in a position to question "is it too dangerous" "is it worth it" as you never got past Newcastle... not more than 1/8 of the way round.

I've never heard such sour grapes from an RBRR non-finisher...

As for the costs - cost of fixing? you would have to have done this anyway within 260 miles... cost of breakdown? nearly every classic policy I know comes with it... cost in petrol? it cost everyone else a whole lot more as they went all the way around... the entry fee and insurance - and anything else that is set... that's the risk you take when entering...

Not sour grapes at all, didn't find it that much fun. I suppose if i had completed the run, might feel a little bit different.
I enjoyed the HCR this year even though we didn't finish, but this was only one night, which is do-able straight off distance. Had fun on the 10CR even though we lost brakes going down Stelvio, so we can drive through the night.
But remember the HCR we had more daylight hours so it was easier at night. The 10CR we had two hotel stops to do 2.5K miles.

As for dangerous, so we don't reckon doing 2000miles in 48hours without any sleep is not dangerous, i would love to see what the motoring organisations would say to that!

Suppose I'm not allowed an opinion!!!!
sexysi

I didn't finish the event but managed 2/3 of the distance. It was fantastic despite the weather. There were some great highlights and Kaye adored driving my car even if I was touching wires together for her to engage overdrive!!!  ;D Glencoe and the single track roads in Scotland were highlights for me. Abandoning and not persisting with adjusting the dizzy were lowlights as the car is running fine after a 15 minutes fettle!  :-/ :o

I don't understand the no sponsorship thing though. I have collected nearly half the sponsorship money from work colleagues. Noone has said anything about no pay no finish............

Each to their own. Kaye and I are off to do the rest of the run that we missed out on in 2 weeks time  ;) :P

Was there also a comment that was spoken at the drivers meeting that there maybe not to many more of these events? If so why? Is the carbon emmisson thing a problem or just the fact of 120 mad Triumph owners driving round the country, half asleep.
I am not anti the RBRR, but it is not my cup of tea.
I much prefer the drive round europe idea and seeing places i've never seen before and may well never see again. ie: Seeing lake Geneva at Dawn, Stelvio and seeing a Ford Cortina as we came into Cortina etc etc. This event was way coooool.
Not as extreme as the RBRR. I did have fun on it, even though we had problems like losing brakes coming down Stelvio.
sexysi

I have previously done a similar run (round denmark - 1250 miles, 36 hours) in a spitfire, and I do understand your reservations. People are different, and I for one did not really fully enjoy round denmark, due to noise (4.11 diff, no OD, shagged engine making a racket) and the lack of sleep.

I did the RBRR08 with Bruce and Steve ind Steves mk1 2000 - and that was bloody great. Probably the single best drivingexperience of my life. High on adrenaluin (addicting!!!) I was ready to have another go sunday evening at the plough!

Right now I feel that two yerars to the next RBRR are far to long time.

All in all - it's a shame that you didn't have a REALLY good time doing the RBRR - but it will probably come down to the fact that people (and cars) are different. It really is a hardcore experience, and I guess that what makes it appealing to many is  infact the hardcore slightly mad approach. For one, I do not find the puttering round for 2-3 hours kindaruns very interesting, but apparently a lot of people do.

sorry for rambling - still slightly high after RBRR - it is a hard coming down

Cheers
Nick

06358 wrote:
...have you ever tried sleeping in an old 2 seater sports car in the daytime whilst moving, very hard....

...or instead of making the run in the autum when we lose 4 hrs of daylight between dusk and dawn, maybe it could be run mid summer when it doesn't get dark til 10:30 at night and dawn comes up at 5:00am!...

Si,

Don't these two comments contradict slightly? If you have trouble sleeping in the daylight, surely you want an event in winter when you have more hours darkness to help you sleep?

Other comments are fair enough - and although I've never taken part in such an event, I do think that there is no reason why the event could not be either shortened (in terms of milage) or extended (in terms of days) to allow for sufficent sleep breaks.

That said - if the majority of people are happy with what they are getting, why change the event for the few that aren't - there is no obligation to take part, and other events may offer a better solution for people who are more interested in the touring aspect.

Either way, I'd be interested to give it a go one year - just so that i can say that I've tried it really

James, I think your "sour grapes" comment was a little unfair, however I agree with you that the breakdown would have happened regardless of the RBRR.

Si, I'm sorry you didn't have a good time.  A breakdown (especially a terminal one) is always a bit of a downe.  As you will remember my 7V8 had some near terminal issues on the 10CR, we were lucky to finish and it did take the edge off the event.  

I'll be honest and tell that after that, I said I found it hard work (due to the car probs) and that I wouldn't do the RBRR.  By the time the entries were due in I had recovered and changed my mind, in the last fortnight I have been buzzing!  I'm sure if I had conked out in the earlier stages I would have been gutted too.  3 persons in a car does make a difference, but plenty do it with 2!

Do you think you would have actually felt the same if you had got to drive all "the nice bits" and actually finished the RBRR?  

I'll look forwards to seeing you on 10CR again!  Incidently, out of the 10CR, RBRR and HCR, I personally found the HCR to be the hardest event by a long way!

Personally If i'd have pulled out of the event early on I may have felt the same way, did'nt really start enjoying it till the Saturday morning, mainly due to the weather. That said the weather did'nt get any better so I guess my views changed as I really enjoyed it. To me its one of those events that you look back on and its the small details that become funny.

For example my ultra reliable EFi set up breaking down less than a mile from the Plough, Dave Walker in the mothership driving off into the night as we coasted to a standstill having run out of fuel up in Scotland somewhere, all this despite me lighting up the night sky with main beam trying to signal him.

On reliving the various stories on Monday night to a friend of our that should have been in the event, you would'nt have thought it possible to get upto so much in 48 Hrs. I can now start to undersand why people continue to take part in this event.

If you think sleeping in a TR is difficult, you should try it in a Spitfire with the roof down  8)

The reason Tim said that there may not be many more RBR's (need to loose the reliability bit as it implies competition) is the ever increasing red-tape associated with the event.

If you have received Tim's email today you will see that 2 constabularies required specific risk assessments for the event. In 2 years they will all probably need one. Driving old cars is now being perceived as being a dangerous menace by ever more people, usually indoctrinated by people with their own agenda. How many mothers do you know who wrap their little darlings up in cotton wool shaped like an MPV?? Just because they have been told that old cars are dangerous.

There is also the perception that old cars are dirty and thirsty. I averaged almost 30mpg, in a car that was driven hard for teh 48 hours. If I had been driving my Astra in the same manner, I wouldn't have got close to that figure!!

The RBR is more than just the actual event, it also provides a good reason for people to get cars fixed and back on the road, to get out there and meet people and have a good time. It certainly allowed me to prove my car that had been off the road for most of the last 20 years, and highlight any weaknesses that need fixing.

Si, you didn't have such a good experience this time, which is a shame, sadly you didn't even get to any of the decent driving roads having just had a slog up the A1. That in itself (apart from the stop at Blyth where the "buzz" was excellent) would put off anyone.

I do know exactly what you mean about the 10CR being that little bit different, and I hope you are lucky with an entry next month, I hope to be there again! It is just that bit more relaxed.

Also, please think again in 18 months time about doing the RBR, and offer your services as a 3rd driver to a 4-seater team. I did it with 2 people this year, 3 in the car was better 2 years ago. Or please volunteer as a marshall, that would be more than welcomed.

Cheers

Colin

sexysi
I know you must be disappointed! Taking time and effort to start the run to stop so early must be really disappointing!
I did the HCR this year and after the run I was not impressed! But after a sleep and reflection I really enjoyed it!
I was exhausted after the RBRR, but a few days later it is sinking in what a bloody good time I had! Scotland was Superb (as always) and other parts of the run were excellent.
We had relatively no real problems but I agree with you in some points! Doing the run in 48 hrs is difficult, Ideally a stop and sleep is required.(IMHO) But is that in the sprit of the event?  I think we all know what is involved before signing up! Sorry you feel deflated!

Rob

06358 wrote:

As for dangerous, so we don't reckon doing 2000miles in 48hours without any sleep is not dangerous, i would love to see what the motoring organisations would say to that!

Suppose I'm not allowed an opinion!!!!
sexysi

Of course it's dangerous. Driving is dangerous anyway. But if people are driving when they're too tired it's their fault, not the events. The car is meant to run non-stop for 48 hours, not the people. Sure some of us got little or no sleep and that's to be expected. But the club doesn't encourage that. What it does encourage is making sure the drivers are safe to take part at all times and it's the drivers responsibility to make sure they are.

Like Simon we didn't finish, but the one thing we are certain about is that we will be back for the next one. Yes its a serious challenge and making sure that you are not over tired is part of the challenge - undoubtedly that was part of the reason I tried running my 7 on diesel! The roads made it totally worthwhile - some real fun driving and not just sitting on the motorway for hours on end which I can do for work any weekday.

06358 wrote:

You are suppposed to sleep, whilst the other driver is driving.

Sorry you had a bad experience; I think you are disappointed because you missed some of the best bits. Personally I prefer to do it three up which is why I'm reluctant to take the Spitfire. I've always done it in a 4/5 seater however four times have been with only two drivers. Although two of those times we had a navigator.

Yes people could donate their petrol money direct to the charity. But this is a Triumph Car event, organised by a Triumph Car Club, for members who own Triumph cars. You are welcome to have your own opinion, but please expect a number of peolpe here to disagree with you. The money to charity is a bonus, taking part in the event is the objective!

Be under no illusion, the event is hardcore. Some will find it to much. Same as i would consider hiking up everest (or even a small hill) too much.

I had no issues with tiredness. It is because i know what to expect and i managed it accordingly. Plenty of early nights the preceeding week, late start friday morning and sleep on the move whenever i could. Providing you do similar its no more dangerous than any other day on the roads. In fact overall probably less so as half those roads are empty.

If it wasn't for you, fine, but dont try to suggest the event shouldn't take place because of that. Ive no idea why someone wants to climb a mountain or jump off a cliff on an elastic band, but thats there choice.

I think the only problem with the event is not the event itself, but getting across how tough it can be to those who have not done it before.

I have had a cold for the last week, so was pretty low, still off work now. I suppose the drive up the A1 was not exactly fun and when the car gave up the ghost at Newcastle that was the last straw for me, coughing as i was. Then the recovery lorry back to the depot and then the use of a hire car, rover 25 sport... erm with 105,000 miles on it.
We then drove back through the night at a very high speed stopping only at Blyth services again! we reached home at 6:00am Saturday morning and the car came back in the evening.
It would have been nice to see scotland and wales but that wasn't mean't to be.

I will try and get into the 10cr next year as I love the countries we visited and the guys and girls we met at the hotels on the way.

Stelvio has a better ring to it than the Scottish highlights, plus it's a lot of bloody petrol to use not to leave the country. The buffet in the monestry was cool as well, nice venue to really meet people at.

Tim your a top man for organizing the event it's just a shame we didn't get the best out of it.

But i think it will be an event that i will skip, liked the HCR and the 10CR, the RBRR is a bit to hard for use southerners.

sexysi

timbancroft61 wrote:

Biggest lesson: Keep entry down to 100 cars.

I found the whole event absolutely brilliant. I was a RBRR virgin, so I have nothing to compare it by. Why keep the entry under 100 cars? I found everything to be close to perfect - did even get a nice smile along with my full english breakfast at lands end ;)  

This was such a good event - thanks

Cheers
Nick

You can not be a real Southerner! Perhaps you are too far West! ;D I did the RBRR in 1998 in a car that had covered 1000 miles in the previous 10 years! I still have very fond memories of it, however I am not rushing to do it again ;) Must be getting old! Horses for courses :)

131 wrote:
You can not be a real Southerner! Perhaps you are too far West! ;D I did the RBRR in 1998 in a car that had covered 1000 miles in the previous 10 years! I still have very fond memories of it, however I am not rushing to do it again ;) Must be getting old! Horses for courses :)

You found one that had done THAT many miles in the last 10 years?!?!?!

Mine had done 750 in the last 20, most of those in the week before the event!

There were quite a few cars returned to the roads after long lay-ups out there being given loads of stick last weekend. Hopefully they will now be kept on the roads for the forseeable future.

Cheers

Colin

While I understand the negitive I fail to understand why some undertake this run witout proper preperation.  Their is enough written in advance and surley enough on the forem as what to expect.  This was not my first but was the first for the crew I had this time.   Carl who kept my car before the run was also a veteran.  He made sure the car was up to it's best and I was over in August to pre check it.  Gave it a good run then.  Bill and Karen had the car for a week to use and any last adjustments.  Just because a car is used for some for short trips does mean it will make a RBRR.  You need a pre run shake down before the big one.  How many in a car?  I go for 3.  I know my limits.  I know I'm the worst navagator!  I harped the whole time to my crew to get rest as I knew when when I would be of no use.   (Just after Land's end like last time I DIED for about 3 1/2 hrs in the back seat)  This event is NOT for everyone!  It is not for cars that are not well maintained!   Accidents can happen anytime to anyone!  Brakedown's can happen even in NEW cars!  Some things can not be helped!  Just after this run I turned 60 (ugh)  Am I too old for this?  Thinks not!  Will I do the next one?   Don't know yet.  Need a Marshel?  I would not like to see entry number lower as I would like as many who want to run be able to.   Those who don't want to run can support those who do.  Make no mistake this run IS for some of us!  Why would Pat Barbor and I come so far to take part in this madness.  Yes it is madness!  This is also a endurance run not a sightseeing run.   Me thinks you all know that before hand!    Long Live The RBRR!

Archived