• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was waiting for that! I used to live in Twickenham and work for Thames water often getting shoved over to do  project work on the East London works ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH I was mainly based out of Maple Cross/Slough/gerrards cross etc, then Mogden works next to the  rugby stadium.... ah bliss i could walk to work! then moved to Devon! ::)

jcarruthers wrote:

I'd like to point out to everyone that I've never said any such thing.

Of course you've probably guessed that already...

Nothing much that sorbs or Resto write is worth remembering or could be taken as useful or truthful. I think of them in the same vein as lift musak.

Quote:
Well car 75 never got past Newcastle, burn't out starter that shorted out all the electrics.
Looking back on the event is it a good idea?

That reminds me of what happened to us on the first 10CR in 2003 - the heat shield broke off and shorted out the starter, completely draining the car of all electricity.

Not even jump leads from Andy Pearce's Big Red Bus could raise a glimmer of power from the TR.

What was typical of CT folk though was that Andy was trying to help and Andy& Sarah Johnson didn't want to leave us stranded in Austria at 4AM in the morning, even though we were already late.

We more or less had to tell Andy and the Johhnson's to "bog off" before they'd leave us - that's what this club and it's events are about.

By the way, the Austrian equivalent of the AA fixed it for us and we drove it all the way back to calais at over 5000 revs for most of the way and we made the ferry.

Are these events a good idea?

No, they are a blooming brilliant idea 8).

Jason, thanks for the life advice.  Very useful.  ;D

Richard, you clearly don't understand my reasons for withdrawing from the RBRR, you keep going on about money or some such nonsense.  I'll PM you with the details when I get time.  Or speak to Tim, or Clive.

Not sure what I've said in this thread which is so contentious but hey, some people seem to get upset by everything.  

Well I flippin' LOVE the RBRR.

I curse on anyone who says it is silly, pointless, dangerous or anything similar.

I take even greater exception when this is said by people who have never done it.

I've done it 6 times now, never EVER had an issue with it.

Yes, it CAN be dagngerous but one assumes that the calibre of people who are doing this event understand the risks and minimse them by taking regular breaks and being sensible about it.

I've always done it with a 2 man crew. More than that, for me, is boring. But I appreciate that people who choose to use 3 or 4 man crews do it for a reason, because they know their own limits and want to stay safe.

I am used to driving star-ship mileages and I know I can do it, I also know when I need to stop.

So there............... :P :P

Anyone who tries to stop this, undermine it, belittle it or just generally say its crap will have me and my polishing cloth to deal with!!

Jason wrote:

Nothing much that sorbs or Resto write is worth remembering or could be taken as useful or truthful. I think of them in the same vein as lift musak.

I don't know why, but the term "Troll" comes to mind whenever I see a posting by either of them, and "Troll baiting" is such a fantastic sport (whistle)

well i know katie can't wait for the next one, aged 19 and already comlpeted two RBRR and a 10cr plus many other events which require driving long distances ,knowing your limits and sticking to them is the key ..also you don't have to do the set route ,as long as you make the check points you can cut .either to make up time or drive a better road to allow your co-driver to kip ..we did this from conon bridge to stirling ..the route through glen coe is fab but some of the windy roads make it dificult to sleep so we chose an easier route and Katie got a good kip before stirling ,i was loooking forward to a good kip on the boring motorway section but events changed that plan,, we ended up doing about  2 hour stints all the way to lands end  , when one got tired we simply swapped over and carried on

The issue of tiredness should be obvious to anyone who has read about the RBRR, but by recognising your own limitations, and managing them accordingly, there is no reason why the RBRR can not be enjoyed in safety.

Our first RBRR was back in the days before kids, and yes, we were able to follow the advice of having plenty of sleep before the event. We were able to complete the route exactly per the book, and arrived back at the finish about half way through the field. Second year, Jo was expecting our first child, which made it tougher. This year, our fifth time, both children were awake the night before the RBRR several times, and we were both tired before we had even started. The Health and Safety approach would have been to withdraw, but what a superb event we would have missed.

The buzz keeps you going on the first night; the second night is always tricky. But there are always options available when tiredness gets hold. Firstly, a 15 minute kip in a lay by works wonders (we did this 4 times this year). Secondly, the route can be altered if necessary, and we had to do this twice to avoid turning up at the Plough at closing time, having had a couple of car problems en route.

At the end of the day, as satisfying as completing a RBRR is, there is no way we would risk our lives by driving while tired. I guess all other entrants of sound mind feel the same, particularly those with children.

Golden rules for the RBRR:

1. Accept that it is going to challenging for the car and the drivers.
2. Accept that good preparation and familiarity with the car will give a better chance of reliability.
3. Accept that there is always a chance that however well prepared you are, something obscure may fail.
4. Accept your limitations, and manage them as you go.

Go with these, and you will have a blast. It doesnt need to be a race to enjoy the RBRR. Spirited driving is a good thing, as long as it doesnt cross the line.

Finally, always 2 up for the McLean clan. We couldnt possibly fit in any more people with all of Jo's 'luggage'! :P

Well I think the whole RBRR!!! (does that count as typing in capitals with lots of exclamation marks?) has lost its edge. There's no challenge in it anymore. I mean an Atlas van could make it 'round. No, for the next one we need to try blindfolding drivers and giving them spoken instructions, or maybe a guide dog.

Now we're getting SOMEWHERE!!!! ... which is more than the drivers would be.

Perhaps you could theme the run to the chosen charity? And a better effort than just visiting a lifeboat. Obviously that could be for Guide Dogs for the blind. Maybe Help The Aged could be another one and each car would have to carry at least one old person and a box of incontinence pants.

This thread is now open for lots of bad jokes about people less advantaged than many of the rest of us  :P

To give the next RBRR a bit more edge, I suggest that you drive the entire route in reverse. :P

and no the atlas couldn't make it around. At least, it has not been proven. Personally I just think the handbrake story was a bad excuse for quitting.

Cheers
Nick

Archived