Took the Spitfire out to the shops this morning just for an excuse to get back in and drive it.  Starting a list of changes before RBRR 2012.

Top of the list will be a quieter exhaust.  I like the look of the wheelbarrow handles on there at the moment, but the Bell stainless steel full sports system is a little too noisy for 48 hours continuous use.  Any suggestions?  I don't want to sacrifice any performance though.

Also on the list will be a new diff - this one is just starting to make a little noise.

Bodders,

Get rid of the wheelbarrow handles.

I put a standard looking stainless steel exhaust on to replace the wheelbarrow and the car was a far nicer place to spend 48+ hours.  I felt much less tired and the driving was so much more pleasant.

I also stuffed loads of carpet in the boot to reduce the noise in the cabin.

It really makes a noticeable difference on long distance events.

Jim.

Done 5300miles in Spitty this Summer - 2800 in the Alps, 2000 on the RBRR and 500 in Wiltshire.
I'm missing ROOOAAADDDTTTRRRIIIPPPIIINNNGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Starting to plan a Scottish roadtrip for next spring and a Eurotrip for 2 weeks next summer.
I'll probably have to miss the 10CR as we plan to emigrate to New Zealand next September :o.

Darren reacons my lovely Spitty isn't as great at the rear end as she should thing (though using the final inch of diff hanger bolt thread improved things!) so I'm looking at Spax shocks, polybushing and an expert opinion from Dale. I should also fix the rattling gear shift spring (shove half a ton of grease over it lol!).
I'm also replacing all the gearbox and engine mounts.

The hardest decision - do I take her with me? And before anyone shouts at me, I've heard all the horror stories, read the rules, talked to the people and know it will cost MONEY!!!!! On the other hand, bloody tidy Spit at the end.

A completely shi*t week

Mother (85) is in hospital and really not very well (and not being helped by the quality of NHS nursing).
The worse bit is that my 31 year old neice has died. She had CF and was waiting for a lung transplant, but one did not come along in time... She was such a great character and its such a loss.
BTW has the RBRR ever had CF as the charity?

Car is still on axle stands (but at the moment this does not seem very important..) propshaft has gone back to suppliers, who are now not going to change it but want to send it back to there suppliers "we dont want  to be left with a secondhand propshaft.." felt like telling them where to stick the propshaft....
Still feel really disapointed not to have finished the RBRR not helped by all the great enthusiatic threads on the forum! Guess there is always 2012 and next years 10CR....
Not a great week....

mike

bodders1 wrote:
Took the Spitfire out to the shops this morning just for an excuse to get back in and drive it.  Starting a list of changes before RBRR 2012.

Top of the list will be a quieter exhaust.  I like the look of the wheelbarrow handles on there at the moment, but the Bell stainless steel full sports system is a little too noisy for 48 hours continuous use.  Any suggestions?  I don't want to sacrifice any performance though.

Also on the list will be a new diff - this one is just starting to make a little noise.

Semi Sports one, ala GT6, they make one for a spit, louder than standard but quieter than a wheel barrow.

I'm not saying get it from Rimmers necessarily  as I'm sure there are other sources but their catalogue has a piccie as below.

At home, every time.  

Lots of Triumph action round these parts this weekend, was treated to a look around a local Triumphist's 4 berth non Triumph vehicle the other day then today, I popped over to see Resto, and ended up back in Telford at Fitchetts getting bits for his suspension and being given a tour of the warehouse.  It's an amazing place.  Suspension bits duly fitted to Resto's car, lots of test driving ensued followed by a trip to the pub.

I spent a lot of the day being pestered to buy a mint Herald 1200.  It'd be a great car for commuting.  Shame I have such a long commute.  Maybe the Herald could be a shopping car.  The shops are nearby.

mpbarrett wrote:
A completely shi*t week

Mother (85) is in hospital and really not very well (and not being helped by the quality of NHS nursing).
The worse bit is that my 31 year old neice has died. She had CF and was waiting for a lung transplant, but one did not come along in time... She was such a great character and its such a loss.
BTW has the RBRR ever had CF as the charity?

Car is still on axle stands (but at the moment this does not seem very important..) propshaft has gone back to suppliers, who are now not going to change it but want to send it back to there suppliers "we dont want  to be left with a secondhand propshaft.." felt like telling them where to stick the propshaft....
Still feel really disapointed not to have finished the RBRR not helped by all the great enthusiatic threads on the forum! Guess there is always 2012 and next years 10CR....
Not a great week....

mike

That's tragic news Mike, try suggesting CF to the RBRR organisers for the 2012 RBRR charity.......... Tim Bancroft ought to be your first port. I did this in 2006, and the 2008 RBRR ended up being the charity I suggested, RNLI.

I think it means something when the charity we support has a personal link to one of us.

mpbarrett wrote:
A completely shi*t week

mike

My cousin had CF, she ended up having a heart and lung transplant at Papworth hospital. She died after about 18-24 months after the operation. Not a nice experience, she was 23.
However CF is a very well supported charity , if you look at the cause of most Cf related deaths its down to lack of an organ donor. How about asking people to join the organ donor register online at NHS? I am sure most here would accept a donated organ if needed so how many are on the register?

On a lighter note I haven just some back from completing the Wales part of the RBRR (a part I missed due to gearbox failure) Although I did it on the motorcycle! It was a great route and quite quick in places :)

Once again a big thanks to all involved in the RBRR, a great event.

Rob

MikeyB and I have a friend who had CF, he was lucky and received a transplant when he needed it, he had made to it be one of the oldest surviving "untransplanted" patients, and is now going well at 43 after his transplant with the excellent care that Papworth provides.

And of course we drove past Papworth last friday. Well some of us did!  :-)

Colin

cook1e wrote:

Semi Sports one, ala GT6, they make one for a spit, louder than standard but quieter than a wheel barrow.

I'm not saying get it from Rimmers necessarily  as I'm sure there are other sources but their catalogue has a piccie as below.

I have one for my Spit from Moss which is quite throaty but quieter than the wheelbarrow one - must admit I took it off for the RBRR and fitted a standard rear box to make for a quieter journey though ;D

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=18338

Yes, the club has an excellent offering of driving events. Surely one of best available of all main stream clubs?  

GT6Boy - I was at Pimperne but somehow managed to miss you.  I'm just checking out a few more pubs for New Year's Eve, but details will be announced soon.  This time I'll be trying to get it properly advertised in the November magazine, which only gives me a few days to get my act together.

I washed Spitty today. She's done 5500miles this Summer without a wash so she deserved one even if it did take ages. I then took ages polishing all the chrome.

She may be four shades of red but was still stunning once she was all shiny!!!

Then drove her back to the garage, "accidentally" went on a 20miles detour and drove staight past a burst water main! Oh well

Funny how we miss driving the Triumphs after 48 hours living in them. Am thinking of selling the C-Max so that I can use the Spitfire more. I got in my 3.2 Vectra for work on the Tuesday after, and thought I had gone deaf. Barely a sound. But although its a great car, it doesnt bring a smile every time like the Spitfire does. Roll on HCR 2011 and RBRR 2012!

Archived