• 3 months later...
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i drove stelvio for the first time this sept and to be honest i was a tad dissapointed.i've heard the hype about it being the best pas and all that ..whilst the views on the way up and down were stunning ,i've had more fun driving some other passes
the hotel we stayed in at the top was not too dear and very nice though  

Quoted from DGF
i drove stelvio for the first time this sept and to be honest i was a tad dissapointed.i've heard the hype about it being the best pas and all that ..whilst the views on the way up and down were stunning ,i've had more fun driving some other passes
the hotel we stayed in at the top was not too dear and very nice though  

You were in a VW UP tho

Top down in a TR7 overtaking a TR6 was good enough for me.

Don't mind looking for more passes tho

I am sure Martin will agree the best time to drive the Stelivo is just before dusk or just after dawn.

I suppose it depends what you want from a pass. Do you want a challenge then drive the Gavia or try the Limonette, if you want a fast driving pass with sweeping roads and tight hairpins then the Stelvio (off hours), Umbrail or the Heeley pass in Ireland, are some of the best I have ever driven

AndyF

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Jim,
Not that I have any intention to drive any sort of car anywhere near the alps, and wouldn’t want this forum to be implied in any similar activity- where do you get all your useful info? (Apart from the web cam) on when alpine roads are open and closed and data from previous years? -that may or may not be useful in planning or not planning a theoretical trip in a randomly chosen month say  such as... September?
Thanks in advance for any response

Andy,

Been a bit busy elsewhere and had not noticed your posting.

Have a look at this for the state of passes.  It is in German but if you can't understand the traffic light stuff, Google Translate has always helped me read the additional notes.

http://www.alpen-journal.de/alpenservice/alpenpaesse.html

You may also like this (pretty picture):

http://www.suedtirol3d.it/#/stilfser-joch-passo-dello-stelvio-stilfs-stelvio/

And this is of some limited use:

http://www.fuel-prices-europe.info/

But the best Alpine site is undoubtedly this:

http://www.alpineroads.com/alpmap.php

Okay, it's for motorbikes but the information is pure gold.

But you didn't read it here.

Jim.

One other point.

Part of the reason for posting when the Stelvio is opened and closed was to provide some sort of record for future organisers when they could get over the pass.

In one 10CR year, the pass was closed the following weekend in September after the 10CR had gone over it.

Strangely, I've noticed when the Stelvio is closed early, we have a colder, snowier winter and when it closes late, like last year, we have a milder winter.

Jim.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the Stelvio will open today.

"CLOSED in WINTER: anticipated opening on the Tuesday, 27.05.2014 17:00, from the junction three fountains to the Stelvio pass." from the Alpenportal website.

Weather doesn't look like anyone will have their top down today though.

The snow gate looks open but the road seems to still be partially blocked by snow.  

However, on the bright side, the burger stalls are already open for business.

Jim.