10CR 2015 Preparations

Raider

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My diff sprang a leak from one of the putput shafts earlier this week. Topped up, next morning a few drops on the floor.
Don't think it is worth the risk, so a pair of shafts have been resealed. All I have to do is fit them. Luckily I am hoping the CV shafts will make it easy, but first I have to do some "paid work" elsewhere. How hard can it be?
Guess I should swap the weeping heater valve at the same time. 😲

Quoted from mpbarrett
Is the 10CR message board working?
Have tried to post a SMS message but nothing happened and have tried re-registering still cant seem to post a message?
Could someone try posting so I know whether the problem is at my end.
cheers
mike

Working now... helps to use the correct number..... DUH!

mike

Quoted from thescrapman

Roger

Jonathan Fallowell who is up at Coventry area has a couple of boxes he is trying to shift, there is an advert somewhere on the forum. Someone did ask, but i am sure a deal could be done for the bellhousing off one of them as it is kinda urgent.

I have a type65 out back that has sat for too long so is probably no good as a gearbox anymore, but bellhousing is all there. Was on a Dolomite though, not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the heads up. turns out its a 35 bell housing. Rimmers had one, so a 6am start this morning saw me at rimmers just after 8:30. Then back to work to fit it. Had to modify it too, the same as the old one.

All back and fitted now. The original issue if vibration with the convertor in lock up now gone, but the new one is just out of balance. Anything above 3000 rpm, even in neutral causes vibration. More pressing still, is after giving it a good work out the power steering pulley (on the crank) is loose. But the bolt is still fully tight.........................

How does that happen? So back to work tommorow to strip all that lot out.

Quoted from Raider

Steve we have 3 in the 2000 so there is space for one more plus Matt George ' codriver has let him down so there are places in other cars yet

I have successfully sourced a replacement co-driver, so we are back on track Done a fair bit to the car over the past few months…

New Rilsan-coated driveshafts have removed the play from the drivetrain, Mintexs 1144s have been bedded in and are proving impressively effective and I've finally(!) sorted the niggly, sticky clutch after many years and many box in/out jobs. It now works perfectly and smoothly, so i'm very happy Revotec sucker is also wired up and operating as it should. Had the wheels balanced last week – one was 85g out, the other 120! So that will help as well. Oil and coolant changed.

Need to wash the car and spruce up the interior this week, but basically we're good to go!

Good luck to everyone taking part...my top tips

- Don't leave the fire extinguisher in the boot have it to hand! 🙂

-Convince your co-driver that "screenies" are in fact wet wipes and OK to wipe your bum with ....provides hours of entertainment

-Keep the oncoming traffic on your left (when not in UK) and the sky in the top half of the windscreen (UK and Europe)

Have fun guys !

Plus 1  for fire extinguisher location .After   the alternator  fire in march I had the replacement extinguisher located in front of the passenger  seat for a bit of peace  of mind ,at least.
The semi sport  CW back box now fitted for a slightly quieter exhaust note,should keep my navigator happier 😉.
The webers have been checked and after a change of emulsion tubes appear to be delivering a smoother power band.Boot loaded with the essential items - coil, points,hoses,plugs, selection of tools, fuses,wire,gaffer tape,tow rope, bulbs etc.
Heading for Dover tomorrow with an overnight  stop off in Rye with,hopefully, a stress free 35 mile drive to port for the 10 am sailing..
Cheers
Laurence

Gearbox sorted 😀

Just changed the exhaust manifold gasket ( lovely job 😉 )

Need to put the passenger side interior back in place and clean the car up, even my my standards it is scruffy.
Still need to change engine oil and brake pads too.

Almost ready, next time the car will be ready weeks  before the run. Not messing around like this again.

Please remain gentlemanly (or indeed ladylike!) in your posts. Ta.

Anyway, bit miffed as I have not had any time the last few days, except to sort my leaky diff. And I did stop the bonnet catch banging incessantly, but that was a temp fix with a gaffer taped patch that will now be semi-permanent, or at least until after the run when I get an hour to make a small spacer.
Have found the new tubes of hylomar/instant gasket and the gaffa tape to put in the toolbag. About to get a couple of spares (wheel bearing, maybe an alternator) out of the loft now everybody is up. Then off to work, unlikely to be home before 10 tonight. May be an early start in the morning to pack 😲