10CR 2015 Preparations

Raider

Spitfire is off the road at the moment, no MOT and the diff is still on the bench.
There's a few jobs for the MOT, like the horn not working and some brake pipes to replace.
Once it's MOT'd I'll be fitting the oil cooler and maybe a centre resonator on the exhaust to tone it down a bit (it was a bit too much on the RBRR)
Then I'll tidy up the bodywork/paint.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is everyone else fully sorted and ready?

I am still slogging away replacing the rear suspension on the 2000. Then I may move on to the front as firmer fully sorted rear suspension could be an interesting combination with original 46 year old soft fronts.

Time may be against me tho(think)

Quoted from Raider
So is everyone else fully sorted and ready?

l 46 year old soft fronts.

Ooooh I love soft fronts
Any body got experience LSD`s ,Quaife or the likes?
Triumphs.....like paintinthe Forth road bridge..as soon as you have finished at one end ..you have to back and start at the other end.............all over again   

I keep an eye out for emergency car replacements on ebay.

Maestros and Rovers of various types keep coming up - sub £400 with MOT. Such a car will be purchased if I am within 1 week from the start and the 2000 is proving a bit of a sod

Quoted from Raider
I keep an eye out for emergency car replacements on ebay.

Maestros and Rovers of various types keep coming up - sub £400 with MOT. Such a car will be purchased if I am within 1 week from the start and the 2000 is proving a bit of a sod

You`ve got 80 days yet......stop whinging

Hasn't a Saab completed the event in the past Don? 😀

My reasoning is that if I get to within a week of the start and my 2000 refused to play I need another saloon for our 3 man crew and a cheap one at that. I don't think the days of cheap Triumph saloons are still there with them having a chance of getting round Europe with little/no prep.

A 1990 Rover 214SI with 43000 miles has just gone for £230 on ebay - I think that would have more chance of making it round Europe as a last minute purchase.

And having paid for ferries and hotels I am damned sure I would be  going whether accepted as part of the event or not

DollyRoo is now out of the shop all fixed and improved.  My hat's off the Dale Barker for the work he did.  Thanks to Darren Sharp and Peter Wenzel for shuttling her back and forth.  Dolly is now back in Bishops Stortford safe and sound.  I believe she is ready for the run and the miles I will put on her driving around England for the two weeks after the run.  Below is the note I got from Peter.

Hi Bill.
Collected Dolly today from Dales (did not see him, as its Sunday).
Well, there is a big improvement in her. She was always quick, but now
she flies
!!.
Improvements to G/Box, engine running smoother, cooling (with electric fan),
brakes, no rattles from exhaust, Also new tires help handling,  etc etc.
New seats also big up-grade. Darker brown matches rest of interior real nice.
They are very good condition too.

Also a big thanks to Mike Bishop for finding the seats and to Jason Chinn who stored them for a while.

Just shows how good and helpfull everyone here is.

This weekend saw a successful trip to Belgium (and France) to practice driving the Spitfire on the "wrong" side of the road.
Mechanical conclusions:
OSF alloy catching top wishbone on full lock. Grrrr.
Bottom end rumble on the engine now far too loud and frequent to ignore.
Same goes for nasty clonky diff noise on take-up and whine on over-run.

I think I have sorted out my sound system.

I didn't want to carve PMW about to fit speakers so I have bought a Bluetooth Speaker as in the picture hooked up to an old smartphone with 5000 tracks on it

And it seems plenty loud enough plus I can take it anywhere

Quoted from Raider
I think I have sorted out my sound system.

I didn't want to carve PMW about to fit speakers so I have bought a Bluetooth Speaker as in the picture hooked up to an old smartphone with 5000 tracks on it

And it seems plenty loud enough plus I can take it anywhere

You know,..all the events 10CRs etc I dont think I have ever played one track of music
With the top down all the way around theres no point