10CR 2015 Preparations

Raider

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well my car is now with my local garage for them to finish the brake rebuild for me.

I am running out of time with only 8 weeks to go so I am substituting time with money 😲

Might get them to fit rebuilt front struts too.

I hope PMW is truly grateful 🤔

Now ordered rebuilt front struts with uprated springs and inserts from Chris Witor.

I let him know they were needed in time for the 10CR and he said someone else ordered a pair the day before and they were on the 10CR too.

Looks like we are good for suppliers 😉

I think my spitfire may need a wash and filling with petrol.
I may give it an oil change too. Still, booked into a "taster session" at Brands on Wednesday 2nd Sept, so that should give it a shakedown

On the other hand, the backup car still needs a bit more welding. a dash sorting plus checking the untried engine, gearbox and axle all actually work. That could be a challenge

• 2 weeks later...

Prep on the Spitfire is now more or less done....  Suspension has been overhauled with Canley front uprights, new rear dampers, new rear trunnion bushes (one was partially seized), new halfshaft UJs, and 10mm more ride height on the front, wheel bearings greased and a 4 wheel alignment done.  The car now feels really good on the road.

Brake fluid change, gearbox and engine oil changed, diff checked, everything else adjusted, greased and oiled.

I've made some better arrangements to stow the build-it-yourself hood in the boot properly, so that it does not have to come out to get at everything else.  I also fitted the spare wheel using the OE bracket on the boot floor.  This gives less rattling in the boot but more importantly a measure of peace of mind, as the wheel is part of the rear end safety design.  We were involved in that Ariel Atom crash 2 years ago on the motorway in the rain, and spent a scary 30 seconds stationary in the middle lane waiting to be rear-ended while other cars skidded all around us, so I'm glad I finally got round to doing that job. Feeble as a Spitfire shell is, it might help.

The fuel issue I had has not returned (famous last words) and the engine is going as well as it ever has.  It now has a new Lucas distributor with locked advance weights, and a 3D mappable ignition system fitted under the dash.  I'm using 2 maps and can switch between them without the need of a laptop, so I have a standard 1296FD map running with the ability to switch to a less aggressive map should we have to use some crappy fuel.  I'm also taking the original Delco with us ready to swap if need be.  What can possibly go wrong?....

So, just some cleaning and last minute jobs to do, load the tools and spares, stock up on Werthers and bananas, and we're ready to go.

Quoted from Raider
Now ordered rebuilt front struts with uprated springs and inserts from Chris Witor.

I let him know they were needed in time for the 10CR and he said someone else ordered a pair the day before and they were on the 10CR too.

Looks like we are good for suppliers 😉

Just come off the phone from Chris and it looks like I'll get the struts the week before the 10CR - GULP!

Right, progress as follows:

1. Gearbox now in the car, including 3/8 unf dowel/studs at 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock-thank you, Richard.

2. Witor big brakes now on the car, just need to bleed them.

3. New secondhand speedo and new speedo cable fitted.

4. New ring gear fitted to flywheel this in conjunction with the new starter will mean I no longer wake the neighbourhood up when I start her!

5. New Minilite wheels fitted.

So what is left?
1. Windows

2. Valve clearances to be checked.

3. Tune carbs and Dizzy.

4. Oil change.

5. Possible UJ changes to driveshafts.

6. Paint underside of floorpan as some surface rust showing.

Blimey, may get everything done in time!

1. Today I got rid of all the old fuel (red/brown colour!).
2. Will start her up on Weds after more than four years laying idle .
3. Refit gearbox tunnel etc and a fair bit of the dash.
4. Rebuild passenger door innards.
5. Get the indicators to work.
6. Check brakes.
7. Run in the rebuilt engine then change the oil/filter, tighten head bolts and set valve clearances.
8. Get insurance.
9. Get an MOT.
10. Get Tax
11. Get on the overnight ferry on the 8 Sep and get pissed.

Driving (in a surprisingly fast 1.6D Fiesta) to the South of France on the 23 Aug and back 1 Sept so precious little running in time, especially if MOT throws up problems.