Alloy steering mount

Desperate Damson

Hi Guys and Gals

Has anyone fitted the above Alloy mounts to there GT6 or Spitty. I have been advised that the old rubber bushes are on the way out. Do i simply cut the old rubber ones out then fit the alloy ones straight on?? Do they really make a difference? I would like some thoughts as there are some on ebay that have my attention.

Thanks
Paul 8)

They are very good. Buy some, unbolt the old brackets, the ally ones replace the whole thing. Usually need to use a cable tie or jubilee clip to hold the little plastic bush in the steering rack next to the NS rackmount, obvious when you see it.
Often sold on ebay by a few retailers, should bet some for under £20.
Apparently the polybush mounts (replace just the rubber in your existing brackets) are a bit tricky, just what I was told by a trader at one of the shows....not sure really what the problem was with them.
Repro rubber mounts will probably disitergrate in seconds :-/

Clive

Go them on my Spit. and happy with the switch.

One tip - my/possibly all alloy mounts hold the track slightly higher so the built in lip doesn't touch the chassis and it tends to rotate when you tighten it up putting the column UJ bolts close/hitting the d/s susspension tower.  Wedge a block of wood under the steering column shaft and mark where this touches chassis/column before unbolting the old clamps and use the same to line everything up when refitting.

Moss had the very good idea of making the bottom half of their alloy mount full width so it holds the plastic bush in place & locates the rack laterally which the others don't. Unfortunately they make them out of crap cheap alloy & the top bit breaks!

Pity someone couldn't make quality mounts to the Moss design. What do the OE herald mounts look like?

CharlieB wrote:
Moss had the very good idea of making the bottom half of their alloy mount full width so it holds the plastic bush in place & locates the rack laterally which the others don't. Unfortunately they make them out of crap cheap alloy & the top bit breaks!

Pity someone couldn't make quality mounts to the Moss design. What do the OE herald mounts look like?

Thats always the problem these days, its one or the other.....I cant believe that nobody has made decent ones either, but there you go. Same for so many parts :(
Clive

cliftyhanger wrote:
Apparently the polybush mounts (replace just the rubber in your existing brackets) are a bit tricky, just what I was told by a trader at one of the shows....not sure really what the problem was with them.

I've got Polybush ones in mine, they are a pig to get in. You need fingers like Molegrips.

Some people say that the alloy mounts transmit the bumps through to the steering wheel more that the rubber ones which absorb some of the jolts. However , I've had alloy ones on my GT6 for years and I've never found this to be a problem. I got mine from John Kippings (before Canleys took over) and they were good quality as thyv've been on my car about 15 years with no issues. Unlike the steering racks I've got through, some recon Triumph racks are of very dubious quality!

agree with clive .look outfor the little plastic antirattle plug n/s. as said most sold dont centre the rack and rely on grip around the tubes to hold in place not the abutments on the rack.
if it comes loose you can  loose 1/2 turn on the hand wheel .
most reconditioners will tell you there's only one ratio and not segregate the 6pot from the 4 pot racks, so you get a light 4pot or a heavy 6pot depends if they are wrong spec.  
but they will be a nice shade of black thats about all you get, and it wont have the ns bush lubricated   peter

Archived