Lightening the flywheel

Raider

I am thinking of lightening the flywheel on my 2000 and there's certainly plenty to go at!

I am also aware that I would lose some torque so what kind of amount should I take off and what effect would it make? I realise the lighter it is the more uneven slow running I'll get but the faster the pick up but has anyone any figures or thoughts?

Cheers.

Well a vitesse / GT6 Flywheel is about half the weight of a saloon one - so if you can get it that light you are doing well - easiest to get an exchange one probably - http://www.chriswitor.com/proddetail.php?prod=151214L  and you will need to get the bottom end balanced afterwards - out of balance flywheels are horrible.

There are pretty much no disadvantages to lightening up that boat anchor of a flywheel - Mk1's have a nice light flywheel and are torquier than Mk2's

I am fitting a standard Vitesse flywheel to my next 2000 (2100 EFI screamer (evil)(evil)(evil)(evil) ) engine in a saloon - I will need to modify a Dolomite sprint bearing carrier to compensate for the thinner flywheel but other than that I see no issues. And it cost me 25 quid off ebay.... bearing carrier was free and 20 minutes on the lathe should see it all good. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-VITESE-FLYWHEEL-/310352028295?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item48426c2287

Heres one for the taking - peanuts - it may be a Mk1 flywheel which would need he holes redrilling on a pillar drill and a slight counter sink applied

jcarruthers wrote:
I have a GT6 flywheel on my saloon engine — works well :)

So did you have to modify the carrier or do any other mods? The PI engine I bought for Gertie last week came out of a GT6 and still has the GT6 flywheel on it. I was thinking of using this as well?  :-/

If it gets too hard I may be able to source a few - most Sprints are dead (dead)(dead) in WA but their gearboxes live on in TR's and saloons

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-UKC551-U

Rimmers have them for 20 quid - Now I need to remember how much thinner a Vitesse Flywheel actually is - I think :-/ its 5/8" or 16mm (conicidentally or not the difference between a long back and short back crank) - which is how much longer the carrier needs to be - anyone?

I measured this earlier in the year:

The difference between the Vitesse flywheel and Mk2 PI flywheel (both mounted on my PI shortback crank) was 12mm with the Vitesse one further forward.  Call it 1/2" if you prefer - it isn't that critical.  

I'm sure that in the past someone told me that there is an actual Triumph part that is the right size - unfortunately I can't remember what from....  You could machine a Sprint one down for sure - it's alot longer.  I have one now, but didn't when I really needed it!

I also noted that the resting position of the clutch diaphragm fingers moves back 7mm during the life of the clutch as the friction plate wears down.  According to Buckeye Triumphs approx 4.5 - 5mm stroke is needed to release the clutch so that means a total travel of 13mm from new clutch, dis-engaged to worn out clutch, engaged.  (Useless trivia probably but I was plotting a concentric clutch at the time!)

Nick

I did mine by drilling 18 mm holes all the way around the outer edge,
done this way, you still got alot of meat in the center bit.
got rid of quite alott of weight.

GT6 flywheel as well

when you got it off, look at the holes, some times they are elongated.  
and I think the bolts as standard are too short, as the shank does no go into the back o the crank

longer bolts,and a drill of the crank to get the bolts to act as ..dowels..
not just clamping as originals

Marcus

I've got a Witor lightened flywheel on my 2000, so 17lb instead of 25lb I believe. It doesn't make a massive difference, but a difference is noticeable nonetheless. Marginally quicker at picking up revs as you move off.

If you have the 'box out already, and can get the machining done FOC, I'd say it's well worth doing  :)

Unless you can go for a steel flywheel, that will allow holes in it to max lightening, I think that 17lbs might be a bit too much, but I have a 9kg cast iron one (19lbs).   Don't forget that metal from the outside counts for most.

Mine mainly lightened by 'scalloping' the outer edgeof the friction platform, between the cluitch cover bolts, where it doesn't play any frictionpart, a bit like this

Amonst all the spares and XJB303H and 304H,we (BJEnglefield and myself) obtained from Comps.after the WCR there was a dural flywheel off a rallycross works 2000,if I remember(40 years ago so it was in the dim and distant past) it weighed in at about 8 or 9 lbs with the ring gear.The comps idea was that the crankshaft mass was more than capable of compensating for the loss of weight on a standard flywheel, we never used it as we were only interested in rallying in those days,wish we still had it would have been interesting to see how it performed.

Archived