Electric fuel pumps

Greeks

Just to muddy the waters, my Dad had problems with his mk1 2000 which were similar to yours Greeks, fuel starvation/vapourisation in hot weather, traffic jams on the M25 etc. Fuel visible in the glass bowl of the pump and nothing obvious. It eventually started happening when I was with him and we found that the diaphragm in the pump although not split was delaminating as such and there was fuel between the layers. This made the pump struggle to pump. One repair kit later from Fitchetts and it has been fault free since.

Colin

Quoted from CRAJ
Just to muddy the waters, my Dad had problems with his mk1 2000 which were similar to yours Greeks, fuel starvation/vapourisation in hot weather, traffic jams on the M25 etc. Fuel visible in the glass bowl of the pump and nothing obvious. It eventually started happening when I was with him and we found that the diaphragm in the pump although not split was delaminating as such and there was fuel between the layers. This made the pump struggle to pump. One repair kit later from Fitchetts and it has been fault free since.

Colin

That's a good point, Colin... now I think about it the diaphragm was separating, I was a bit fixated on the wobbly valve though so didn't pay too much attention at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

With our Stag and its standard electric fuel pump, when starting the car I let the pump prime the carbs before turning engine over. It usually catches first time. With the GT6, the engine has to crank over several times before the mechanical pump gets the fuel to the carbs.

If I fitted an electric fuel pump to the GT6 would I get better starting as per the Stag?

With regards to Huggo pumps, is the 133010 model the one to go for?

Regards

Bruce

Hello Bruce,

yes it should, if all else is good.

Reliant Scimitars have the same problem, needing a lot of cranking to start if left for a while, many owners just fit an electric pump with a switch just to prime the carburettor, leaving the mechanical pump as a main.

Alec

Is there a difference between the HUCO front and rear mount pumps? I bought one for my Vitesse that I was going to mount on the engine block, but have since changed plans to mount in the boot along with a Malpassi Filter King and pressure regulator (This is a bit of future proofing as long term the car will go back to having Webers on), but will the HUCO pump be okay mounted at the back in the boot?

Quoted from piman
Hello Bruce,

yes it should, if all else is good.

Reliant Scimitars have the same problem, needing a lot of cranking to start if left for a while, many owners just fit an electric pump with a switch just to prime the carburettor, leaving the mechanical pump as a main.

Alec

So, perhaps I'm way off here, but I thought a bit of cranking was a good thing in that it allowed the oil pressure to build up before giving any revs. 🤔

Thanks for the link Gaz, I had not seen that before.

As I said, having the pressure regulator is future proofing for when I get the new engine in on the triple Webers, without having to change the pump set up (hopefully). I already have the HUCO pump, but I have got the Malpassi Filter King with built in pressure regulator and a removable dial as well for accurately(ish) setting the pressure. I have a fuel tap too so I can cut the fuel off at the tank so I can help stop the fuel syphoning back etc.

I'll stick some photos up when I get round to it!

Quoted from uksnatcher
Cant see a problem Jon, it will probably work a little harder mounted at the rear but its a quality pump and its still pushing 2.2psi and more importantly good flowrate mounted at the tank according to this, no need to regulate tho, leave it fully open:

http://www.gowerlee.dircon.co.uk/HUCO.html

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Hmm, I'll have to see which one I bought, I'm 99% certain I bought a front mount one... which is damn annoying.

It wil be perfectly fine mounted at the back Jon, bung it on.

Quoted from Greeks

So, perhaps I'm way off here, but I thought a bit of cranking was a good thing in that it allowed the oil pressure to build up before giving any revs. 🤔

Yes it is, thats why peeps fit oil retention filters IE Mann with double anti-drain valves or an oil purge tank that pre-loads the oil system when stone cold and when you have electronic ignition and elec fuel pump that fires on the first crank.

The first few secs of cranking from cold is refilling the oil filter and filling the galleries hence a bit of cranking is always good, unless your starter is knackered...

Hello Gaz,

I think it is a bit overstated and I certainly do not worry about a quick starting engine as mine is. It's not as though the bearings are dry.
I remember being astonished by a test conducted by a magazine, when Molyslip first came out. The idea was to take two identical cars, add Molyslip to one and run it for some miles to circulate the additive and let it do what it was advertised to do. Both cars then had their engine oil drained and they were run on a track to see which lasted the longest. The Molyslip car went further but what was interesting the other car went about thirty miles before it stopped.
So a few seconds or so doesn't worry me.

Alec

That's difficult to believe, piman!
Loads of videos on t'Net of engines being run without oil, usuallyy having their nuts revved off as well.
This one is from one of our own UK RedNecks, and he runs it at 2-3K, with no sump, so really no oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WLOccckJ5o

How long before it seizes?  Seven minutes.

Still a lot longer than the cold start delay, but you only seize the engine once.
You accelerate wear every time you do a cold start.
JOhn

I always leave the choke in for a few secs cold cranking so it dosnt start to quickly when left for a length of time, anything to save the big end bearings, made the mistake once of starting the car after a 2 week idle, waited to prime the carbs with the elec pump, full choke and it fired first crank...knock-knock-knock-knock...brummmm