Spitfire 1500 new wheels - Ideas?

Contente

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have recently changed my wheels from the standard steel.  After quite some thought including Compomotive TH3 6x15, MGF, revolutions and in black I finally went down the conventional route and fitted sliver minilite replicas, 5.5x13.  I must admit I like the effect with Pageant blue, liked the price better especially as I could used my existing 170x70 tyres

Not driven with them yet, should have the MOT in the next fortnight.

smithy wrote:
And to suggest that if you drive "properly" Bradley, you can flex wire wheels noticeably enough to tell from the drivers seat, is insulting not just to me but to the intelligence of anyone who reads it - a fairy tale worthy of the Princess and the Pea level of fiction.
Still, you're not listening and I'm not here to persuade you, so you can have the 'Hugh' role on this one - there's a vacancy!

Getting a bit touchy about these wheels. ;)

And I thought you said you weren't 'wedded to them'. Seems like you're pretty attached to me.

I'm only joking, each to their own. I like the look of wires (although think they suit the earlier MK1-3 cars better).

Seems to have turned into a pro-con discussion on wire wheels... :'(

Lets give Smithy some support.

My Mk2 has wires and if trued correctly they are no worse than steel wheels for daily use.  I absolutelly love them, I actually replaced the original wires with a new set when I could not fine spokes to repair the old ones. Oh and I dont race my cars...

If  I would ever to be replacing them I would fancy a pair of replica Le Mans wheels, believe jigsaw did a batch. Lovely!!!!
If I would ever to modify  :B :B my spit it would be to mimic the Macau car

But, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc, as long as they are round they serve the purpose of making the car mobile and thus OK by me.

Cheerz
Dirk

1790 wrote:
If you want real bling, you could put these on !!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140815727251&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

=) That would be too much for my taste.
I have been trying to see some more pictures from spit's MkIV / 1500 with wired wheels and somehow I am afraid they will look weird.

I also like these wheels http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID005754 .
Are they different from the GT6 version of these wheels? or are they the same?

I also found these version with polished outer rim: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Spitfire-5-5J-x13-New-Silver-Alloy-Wheels-Special-Offer-Price-/290753955185?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43b2494571

However, these option compared to the refurb of my actual ones make it not good to use the white tyre walls that I actually have. Anyway, the weight difference might be nice to feel when driving it =)
Any thoughts?

cheers,
Frederico

Contente,

These wheels http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Spitfire-5-5J-x13-New-Silver-Alloy-Wheels-Special-Offer-Price-/290753955185?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43b2494571#ht_481wt_1417

Which you linked to earlier are fantastic.

The bloke who sells them lives just around the corner from me and they look great in the flesh. In fact I buy a lot of my spares from him top bloke.

Pete,

These are his new range of wheels. He's still got the 13X5 but started selling the 13X5.5.

I prefer the 5.5j because of the slightly deeper rim.

Bradley.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I bought the Minilite like I have posted. Here is the result.

I like the look, I think it got very good and in Portugal because the Spitfire is a rare car, there is no problem to be a common used wheel =)

However, more than the look, the ride is totally different. I went to new wheels and new tires -  the best recommendation from my friend from the tires shop - BF Goodrich and it transforms the car. Comfortable, much more precise and no vibrations at all even on high speeds =)

Spitfire2500 wrote:

Chrome Wellers? I've got a set of those on the Saloon  :X

I couldnt find any Weller markings on them and was reliably told by Smithy they were Mangels wheels without the wires center sections, heres a pic nicked of another thread of the Mangels he had on his car:

http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1307885199/s-30/

Interesting -- I'll check the wheels I have for the Saloon. Thought they were Wellers but they could very well be Mangels. They look pretty much identical to those on your Spit.

Probably academic since I want to put S alloys on it if/when it ever makes it out of the garage...  :X

Pic of Saloon (with Weller/Mangel wheels on) before I cut the N/S front wing and sills off -- and stopped  :B

I sold mine on advertised as 'Weller style' wheels sold for 175.00 so payed for the new steelies (or was it the Revolutions??? ) ...too many wheels to play with... :P

Heres another option....13" Metro GTi alloys...eek..! (they are at the back of my shed...gathering dust ;) )

uksnatcher wrote:
I sold mine on advertised as 'Weller style' wheels sold for 175.00 so payed for the new steelies (or was it the Revolutions??? ) ...too many wheels to play with... :P

Heres another option....13" Metro GTi alloys...eek..! (they are at the back of my shed...gathering dust ;) )

15 inch version of those a la Maestro Montego.

Here! Me "reliable"? Now steady on!
Yes they look like Mangels to me - but possibly only since I've never seen chrome Wellers to compare them to.  :B
And I'm well known for trying to sound authorative when on dodgy ground. But then you probably knew that.
There's a young bloke driving a Morris Marina around (the shame!) with my Mangels on - we could ask him for some more detailed photos of the centres, to make sure, I suppose.  :)
Here, why haven't you got wires? Everyone should have wires.  (dance)

Spitfire2500 wrote:
Interesting -- I'll check the wheels I have for the Saloon. Thought they were Wellers but they could very well be Mangels. They look pretty much identical to those on your Spit.

Probably academic since I want to put S alloys on it if/when it ever makes it out of the garage...  :X

Pic of Saloon (with Weller/Mangel wheels on) before I cut the N/S front wing and sills off -- and stopped  :B

Yes the are Mangel's...I have a set on my spit with the wire baskets.