Spitfire Jigsaw engine

Saltddirk

hullo,

The engine of our Mk2 Spit did not survive the 10CR

:(

We have it now dismantled to show all the horrors: Cam lobes worn, followers (new before the 10CR) ready for junk, Piston with a chunk missing and one cracked.....

Amazing that we still managed to get to Home 

The block is relatively un-damaged as seems the crank.

The block is now with the engine workshop for measurements and eventually a re-bore ( +40 already)

It would seem that the engine is a toledo engine with a DG prefix, HE suffix.

Would anybody know if the principal dimensions to give to the workshop are the same as a Spitfire 1300 engine or better even have a scan of the pages from the workshop manual

BR

Dirk

ImageImageImageImageImage

Quoted from Saltddirk-

The block is now with the engine workshop for measurements and eventually a re-bore ( +40 already)

Can I be cheeky and ask what they're charging? I'm getting very high prices for a Herald block that requires little work, so I'd be interested to know what other companies ask for boring cylinders.

@rob,

Thanks, i'll look for a mk 4 WSM then

@colin and Clive

40 gbp a pot is indeed what i expect to pay.

The situation is slightly different here in Belgium, we do not have that many workshops willing to do classic car engine work except if you pay the dreaded TR tax on top, but the shop i'm using is a one man shop nearing retirement and he is very reasonable in his prices. 

Dirk

I looked through Steve's manuals for you Dirk when I saw your reply #4 but couldn't see one for the Toledo or the Mk IV Spitfire with the same 1296cc engine, maybe I missed it. As Rob mentions, you are looking for details of the later Mk IV engine with the enlarged big end bearings, I do not know at what commission/engine number the change was made.

Tim

There is no particular reason why you shouldn't run at +0.040" but I would advise checking the oversizes of piston available before going any bigger. There may be +0.050" available and will probably be +0.060" but that's as big as you ever want to go and if you're building a little screamer of an engine you might not want to go any bigger than you already have at +0.040".

That will, of course, require a replacement block unless you're planning on trying to replace the liners which I don't recommend. A good used std or up to +0.020" block would be best.

thanks Dale,

I'll check Canleys

It would seem that this engine is already at 040, and i was not planning to go any further, as you say it is not really recommendable to put liners in, IMO the strenght is gone from the block, and a replacement block would be the cheaper option....

First waiting from the verdict from the workshop, lets hope it's only needing a hone....

D

Before my 1500 engine was rebuilt it had a cam follower looking like that, but worse, matched to a cam lobe that was almost non-existent. It's difficult to know whether the cause is due to the follower? Or the cam?  Or poor oil distribution?

What are your thoughts on the cause of all that damage to pistons/cam/followers/etc Dirk?

What is the crank like?

Crank and bearings are good, only just  now starting to show copper, the cylinder bores thankfully also looking fine

The followers were used due to the camshaft damage, at least that's what i think.

Not sure what caused the piston damage, or how long it  was like this, She started using oil on the 10CR only, before that she was fine, perhaps bad quality pistons? If the budget stretches that far i'll go for forged ones this time, and a wee milder cam,

To me it would seem that low oil / bad lubrication caused a lot of the damage, and the followers being blackened would support that. The old ones we took out just before the 10CR were only worn because of the cam damage but not black like these!

Cheerz

Dirk

• 1 month later...

Are the cam followers that are not wrecked flat or slightly crowned?  They should be flat but some suppliers (including some who really should know better!) have been sending out crowned ones.  They don't last very long.....

Also, some followers are just too soft to live.  Pistons look like there has been overheating at some point and also some detonation (that burning around the top ring).

Not geographically convenient, but I have a Herald 13/60 block, crank and rods here, free to a worthy cause.  This is a small crank engine, so different to what you have (head will fit though).  IIRC the bores and crank are standard size but well worn.  I don't have the end plates, chain case or flywheel.

Cheers

Nick