Engine hoist Had

Royboy66

Engine crane, I bought a two ton one a while back off a tame market stall tool dealer with the intent to remove the engine on a Gt6 as I cannot get into the shed which the chain block and tackle hangs.
Anyroads still not got round to it reason being a mix of avoiding Australian relatives ( a story all on its own ) and bally cold weather.

royboy66 wrote:
Had a play with a friends engine hoist today.

They quite handy!  migjt get one  ;)

Engine crane = damn fine piece of kit. I have one on long term loan from a family member (think he's forgotten that I've got it) that's a home made jobbie, and waaaay stronger than anything I've seen for home use. It really came into it's own when I had the front end of my spit stripped to the chassis rails and needed to move the car sideways - just hoisted the whole front of the car up and pushed it away from the wall.

Check out this bad-boy:

BTW, and I really have to ask, what's the cricket bat used for?

I lifted my old engine out, then lifted the new one in. Then out and in again three more times, as it didn't fit...

That was hard work, so for the next attempt I borrowed an engine crane, whipped out the gearbox and did it "properly". Much easier! :)

My car came with air conditioning from the BL dealership, & so did not have the front engine lifting eye (the bracket for the A/C compressor replaces it).

The first time I stripped it down, including head off, and took the bottom end/block out by hand.

The second time I took the engine out, I used an engine hoist.  Since there was no lifitng eye, I used the technique of wrapping webbed straps around the engine a few times, & picking it up by the straps.  When it went back in, I put a lifting eye on the engine, but I think the webbing approach worked better.

After you get it out, be sure to have an engine stand to put it on.  Makes a world of improvement over flopping it over on the workbench like a big fish while you're working on it.

npanne wrote:

Engine crane = damn fine piece of kit. I have one on long term loan from a family member (think he's forgotten that I've got it) that's a home made jobbie, and waaaay stronger than anything I've seen for home use. It really came into it's own when I had the front end of my spit stripped to the chassis rails and needed to move the car sideways - just hoisted the whole front of the car up and pushed it away from the wall.

I just have a heavy duty block and tackle attached to the garage roof girders; I usually jack up the car, hook up the block, undo the engine mounts then lower it away and sideways until the engine clears. It takes a bit of manoeuvring with the triumph on a trolley jack but it works. Easy with the Herald, more difficult with the Gt6.

• 6 months later...

I prefer the 2 ton version with 6 wheels, easier to move around as it is still on 4 wheels when dismantled. This is the one I bought;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-TON-HYDRAULIC-ENGINE-CRANE-HOIST-LIFT-BRAND-NEW-/120643752243?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item1c16ed9133

The 2 ton limit means it still has a 1/2 ton rating at full reach, easier for fitting Triumph 6 pots.

2402 wrote:
You want one that comes with a leveller.

I have heard good reports of how useful a leveller is, its on my shopping list.

Richard_B wrote:
I prefer the 2 ton version with 6 wheels, easier to move around as it is still on 4 wheels when dismantled. This is the one I bought;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-TON-HYDRAULIC-ENGINE-CRANE-HOIST-LIFT-BRAND-NEW-/120643752243?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item1c16ed9133

The 2 ton limit means it still has a 1/2 ton rating at full reach, easier for fitting Triumph 6 pots.

I have heard good reports of how useful a leveller is, its on my shopping list.

Used that exact model last weekend to swap engines on my PI.  Picked it right out of the top no bother.  £ 142 is a good price!

Nick

Got my engine stand today, still waiting for my engine hoist to arrive

The engine stand is a six wheel foldable one and has four large wheels and two smaller wheels
Can anyone tell me if the smaller wheels go at the font end, or rear end of the stand?

Saw a neat home made engine crane/stand made by a chap who raced midgets at Sydney Speedway in the 1960s.
Main frame was the fairly conventional design of engine stand but it had a socket to take the crane on the base behind the upright of the engine stand.
To get the engine back to bolt it to the stand, you simply raised the crane and lowered the engine as the actions had separate winches.
When the engine was mounted, the crane was lifted out.
The stand was bolted together so could be dismantled for storage.
Any such devices available commercially?

Back in those days, speedway drew very large crowds in Sydney, so the drivers could make good money as they received a percentage of the gate takings.
This chap said he made more money from racing than from his full time job with the railways.