Brake pipe flaring tool

WIMPUS

Hi all.

I'm wanting to by a brake pipe flaring tool.
I've got a little leak at the back of my spitfire.

had the same at the front, and that was the union that was cracked.
Needed to take the pipe off and go to a shop to get a new edge on it etc.

I've seen this tool, is this something good ?
Would be easy as i could use it on the car.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brak.....7:g:ij4AAOSw2s1Utrln

Hi Wim,
            the tools you show should work. The blocks need to be very very tight. Held in a vice would be good.
Contact the seller and see if he will sell you the bubble flare swage with the single/double tool.

Do not go anywhere near these things h8AAOSwPcVVvGux">http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-I.....d:gh8AAOSwPcVVvGux
These do  not work and damage the pipe.

The more expensive lever type are better - but bench mounted.

Roger

Quoted from Hogie
Hi Wim,
            the tools you show should work. The blocks need to be very very tight. Held in a vice would be good.
Contact the seller and see if he will sell you the bubble flare swage with the single/double tool.

Do not go anywhere near these things h8AAOSwPcVVvGux">http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-I.....d:gh8AAOSwPcVVvGux

Roger

Yes we have that one and used it for years
Its better, as you can work at any point without having to take things off the car

Quoted from Hogie
Hi Wim,

Roger

I used one of these cheap jobbies to replace all the original lines on my vit with no problems or leaks. I wouldnt recommend it for a garage as there might be easier to use items but as I wont be using it again for another 40 odd years, as always, I wanted to spend the minimum 🙂

Quoted from glang

I used one of these cheap jobbies to replace all the original lines on my vit with no problems or leaks. I wouldnt recommend it for a garage as there might be easier to use items but as I wont be using it again for another 40 odd years, as always, I wanted to spend the minimum 🙂

Mine broke on the "horseshoe" as I was doing it up by hand. The shop refused to replace it as they said I must have been using  a bar on it. 🤔

ive used the horseshoe type for many year,never failed,used with extra bar,but this was bought in the mid 90`s so good quality from sealey.just go`s to show the quality of certain tools and parts have gone down-hill since chineses and other copy`s have flooded the market

Hi Folks,
          interesting replies on the cheapo tool (horse shoe type)  
I found that the ribbed holder seriously damaged the pipe.
Single flare would work.
Double flare was cocked over  and poorly shaped

This was with 1/4 copper.  It wouldn't touch Kunifer.

Roger

Perhaps I'm a bit odd (old retired engineer - silly git). If a £20 cheapo tool does the same job with equal quality as a £150 tool then who would buy the expensive tool.

I wasted £20 on a Machine Mart tool https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht172-automotive-pipe-flaring-kit/
Interestingly their advert does not say Copper Nickle (Kunifer) but it does on the box.

Roger

Quoted from Hogie
Perhaps I'm a bit odd (old retired engineer - silly git). If a £20 cheapo tool does the same job with equal quality as a £150 tool then who would buy the expensive tool.

I wasted £20 on a Machine Mart tool https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht172-automotive-pipe-flaring-kit/
Interestingly their advert does not say Copper Nickle (Kunifer) but it does on the box.

Roger

Well I suppose you do take more of a gamble with cheap stuff and of course youd want better quality if working with tougher materials or repeating the job many times such as in a repair workshop where time is money.....

I tend to agree wid Rodger,
I had one of them horsey shoe types,{still got it }
got it fora present, ,thowt, i,ll giv it a go, so off int shed I goes ready to play wid me new tool,

result, the shank brok off the former, after aboot 3 turns t,git pressure  up                                         and  it the one thats needed normal lines.
totall sheite,

this type is much much better,  Hand held ont car, or fix annel in a vice, even better
had this for 30 odd years, had some stik, still as good as day I got it,

https://www.google.co.uk/searc.....rc=hduzEG2CWEQCDM%3A

M

Quoted from Velocita Rosso
Its funny how different people have had different results/opinions on various models
We have had the Clarke model for years now and repiped Spit/GT/2000/V8 without any problems and is still going strong

I've found the Clarke stuff to be variable in quality. Some of it is good, some is let down by one cheap component that can be modified to make a good tool, some of it is just pants from the start. I suspect that quality control isn't all it could be, always important when manufacturing abroad.

Quoted from Velocita Rosso
Its funny how different people have had different results/opinions on various models
We have had the Clarke model for years now and repiped Spit/GT/2000/V8 without any problems and is still going strong

Yes and we're only talking about a lump of metal plus some bits! After reading some of the comments I beginning to think I better start lifting some weights (huh)

Quoted from marktheherald
Yep, I've got the Moprod one as well. Also about 30 yrs old and still going strong!
(thank heavens for Google, I was missing the instructions and had recently forgotten the sequence of forming a double flare...Internet was my friend)

Haa haa, I used to forget too,
butt remeber this sequence, its very apt,

Nob end in first, then  point at it,
cant ga rang if ye stik yer nob init, 😀

M

Hi wimpus  have just got the one you showed in your 1st post (3/16 one) as the one I was going to use at work has now ceased to function and can recommend it after trying a few test flares which formed nicely and seem to make a good seal. Does take a while to make the joints but if it is only on 1 car should not pose too much of a problem but that is only a comparison to the one I used at work,

Well, I have been making pipes for my Mk1 over the weekend and I can confirm that the horse-shoe one is utterly crap. Inless you have the anvil perfectly lined up with the pipe it just squishes over at an angle. I borrowed a 400 year old Laser Tools one from a friend and each one was spot on every time. Horse shoe one is too old to go back to where I bought it, even though I only opened the box on Saturday, so I'll be keeping an eye out for one like the laser ratchet handle jobber.