WHAT EXHAUST SHOULD I BUY

pimp my vit

About to crash the cash and buy a complete exhaust system for my Vit Mk 1

Rimmer are the most expensive even though they have 10% discount on right now, Canley are 'made to order' however long that takes plus a couple of others in the Canley price range.

We had a saying in the electronics industry 'same sh!t,different box' if it all came out of the same factory.........

Any thoughts? are they the same manufacturer for all sellers, any system better or worse than others, it will have to mount to original manifold as I dont have enough cash to crash on the full sports system.

Any advice??

Cheers again......

£220.50!
TWO HUNDRED POUNDS!!!
Rip-off!

Guy near me runs a bespoke exhaust fitting business.   Bends all his own tubes, and fits good quality silencer boxes.
I've got a 6-3-1 manifold, and from the 3-1 collector back cost me £120, inc VAT.

If you're anywhere in the North West, Mr.Pimp, ask me for his address.
John

If it is possible, and I see no reason why, I would go for a std Mk1 downpipe, and an adapter so I could use the MK2 main pipe and rear box, all from canleys. Their rear vitesse MK2 box is very purposeful! Or if they sell a system based on the GT6 single sports exhaust, that would be tasty :)

I bought my single exit stainless steel exhaust from Canleys about 2 years ago. It was about £176 I think. Nice thick diameter tubing and beautifully made. It'll outlast me I'm sure. When I first fitted it I was really pleased with the throaty growl it produced. Over time this became louder as the exhaust carboned up. Now, it drives me nuts. It's too loud all the time. Even at moderate speeds it sounds like I've got my foot down in a V8. It might impress people I pass by at 15mph in heavy traffic but if I'm going on a long journey it's very tiring.
I'm not sure what the answer is but if I were in the market for an exhaust It'd be a factor I'd consider.
Rich  ;)

TR7th_Heaven wrote:
I bought my single exit stainless steel exhaust from Canleys about 2 years ago. It was about £176 I think. Nice thick diameter tubing and beautifully made. It'll outlast me I'm sure. When I first fitted it I was really pleased with the throaty growl it produced. Over time this became louder as the exhaust carboned up. Now, it drives me nuts. It's too loud all the time. Even at moderate speeds it sounds like I've got my foot down in a V8. It might impress people I pass by at 15mph in heavy traffic but if I'm going on a long journey it's very tiring.
I'm not sure what the answer is but if I were in the market for an exhaust It'd be a factor I'd consider.
Rich  ;)

I had exactly this issue.  I bought just the silencer though. It looks like a nicely made item, fits well and sounded lovely when new, but mine also got alot louder in the first few hundred miles.

In the end I ended up dismantling it and discovered that when it was made, the inner layer of stainless steel wool had been taped in place to hold it while the wadding was added (fine) but the taper had used most of a roll of tape (not fine) and the tape had melted into the steel wool, clogging it and substantially sealing off the wadding from the exhaust path.  I repacked it with new stainless wool held in place with wire and most of the original wadding (couldn't believe how much they had originally managed to stuff in it!).  This worked really well and made it much more effective - and it it remains so today after many thousand of miles.  I did write up this process a couple of years back.

Cheers

Nick

I had a mild steel system on mine to start with and binned that for a pair of wheel barrows. (Very loud) worst thing I ever did. Then bought another mild steel system and sold that on ebay and put on canleys stainless system. ( got louder over time). I have now brought another mild steel back box fom a guy who advertises in classic car weekly. Its nice and quite. Will be sticking with that much more comfortable on the ears.

• 3 months later...

Whilst my Vitesse has been off the road over the winter having a new block and recon gearbox my thoughts turned to doing something about the noisy exhaust.
As I mentioned, it's just too loud. I like a bit of a bark but when pottering along at 20mph along the high street it shouldn't sound like a Lancaster bomber about to land!
I don't have any welding skills so couldn't follow Nick's suggestion about re-packing the silencer so approached my local custom exhaust place. They suggested fitting a cherry bomb just as Wolfrace did and welding it in to the existing straight piece of pipe. The cherry bomb cost £31, is anodised mild steel and guaranteed for 2 years. Getting it welded in to the existing pipe was another £12. Total cost £43.

It's a tight fit between the chassis rails as you can see, but they've done a lovely job, I'm well pleased.

The most important thing is it sounds wonderful! I've still got that lovely low down burble, almost like a V8, but none over the over-loud harshness of before. Time will tell if it gets any louder but the noise is much, much better. It still sounds like a sports car should, without being over-the-top.
It'll be difficult to tell if performance is affected because of the new block and running in etc but I doubt it'll make much difference.

Thanks Wolfrace!

Cheers,
Rich  ;)

Don't forget that what goes around, comes around.
  As it were.
Early Vitesses and Spitfires (also Heralds?) had an "Expansion box" exactly where that Cherry bomb is positioned.

See: http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/diagram/spitfire4exhaust.html&xhtmlcatalogue=xhtml/catalogue/spitfire4.html&category=&xsl=diagram.xsl

John

Is that your standard ride height? I ask because that's hanging down a fair way - possibly only half an inch but that makes a big difference. Go dead-slow over any of those bolted plastic speed bumps until you know it won't catch on them.

Also, you fitted it so the gas can go into the louvers? If so, that'll give the biggest noise reduction.

That's a good point about the ride height ferny. It's definitely a bit lower than before so I'll take it easy over speed humps until I'm sure. I didn't have a problem before but we'll see this time.
The Vitessse rides much higher than the Spitfires I've had previously. With my spit I always had to plan my route carefully!
Rich  ;)

Pete - Yes, I've heard that Bell are really good. Are they as noisy as all the others? The wheelbarrow type twin exhausts seem to be the worst according to my local club members.

we run a pheonix 631 on the 1600 with a bell semisports which just fits inside the 2" pheonix pipe,
the barrow handles were sold on , a lower tone but more like a hair drier.

whilst this is not the best looking tailpipe it was reclaimed from the orig SS system ,

it ( to me ) sounds cracking,  has a nice crisp aire to it comes on song nicely with out tooo much bark,  
the slight reduction in tube doesnt  noticeably affect the performance ,  

then I could be ageism deaf   !!!

Tssc club shop sell Bell and there's no guarantee problems , I think only one has been returned over many years
its certainly no quibble ( it doesnt cover gravel rash  !!)

think its all down top preference and cost in the end,    

I've bought the Canley system for my car, though it is still wrapped up in the bubble wrap in the garage. I bought it because of two reasons 1) It seemed the best price and 2) It sounded good in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvCdoMq8Z7g

Anyway no matter how it turns out, it is a million miles better than a wheel barrow system in my opinion.

S.

That's the one!
It sounded great for a while but just got louder and louder. I spoke to Dave at Canley Classics (well after the warranty had run out) and he laughed it off, saying that I should re-pack the silencer.
The cherry bomb I've had fitted in conjunction with the existing silencer has quietened things down again. Let's see how long it lasts!
Rich  ;)

Archived