Extra lights on spitfire

WIMPUS

smithy wrote:
Had a pair of rally giants on mine back in the day - I still think they're a good cheap spot (although mine were the top-end 12" jobs, big money when you're on �50 a week). Completely illegal wiring too, which allowed me to use them and main beams together.

Not illegal at all -- actually, it's how it's meant to be done. Driving and spot lights should be wired to come on together with the main beam.

Some of best driving fun I ever had was driving the Spit through the night behind a pair of Super Oscar spots :) For some reason or other everyone coming the other always remembered to dip...  ;D  ;D

Got to admit to loving these spoiler mounted ones on this car - very clever and natural looking...not so keen on the bonnet ones though...

<a href="http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1977-TRIUMPH-SPITFIRE-1500-SILVER-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqJ,!qQE+nJqfhvBBP6gNYlW7Q~~60_12.JPG">http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1977-TRIUMPH-SPITFIRE-1500-SILVER-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqJ,!qQE+nJqfhvBBP6gNYlW7Q~~60_12.JPG</a>

This what I have.

I like them because they are small.  Lamps are wired through relays as are the standard headlamps.  Driving lamps come on with high beam.  Fogs are wired from the 1500 wiring loom using a second Spitfire light switch, the front come on second position the rears come on as well.  The rears require a tell tale but I have one for both, ideally the rear fogs should turn off when the high beam is turned on.

I have 2 blade fuse boxes to replace the original glass, each takes 6 fuses.

Despite the size they work very well.

Personally I like to avoid anything in front of the radiator, it reduces the airflow to the radiator.

2528 wrote:
This what I have.

I like them because they are small.  Lamps are wired through relays as are the standard headlamps.  Driving lamps come on with high beam.  Fogs are wired from the 1500 wiring loom using a second Spitfire light switch, the front come on second position the rears come on as well.  The rears require a tell tale but I have one for both, ideally the rear fogs should turn off when the high beam is turned on.

Personally I like to avoid anything in front of the radiator, it reduces the airflow to the radiator.

it's that in front of the radiator i would'nt do it ..
i installed 2 fuse boxes from 4 blades each .. but they are full ! i never planned to put central locking in the car and stuff :p

but will install 2 x 6 blades in the future i think  :) otherwise .. fused inbetween the wires ... i don't like them  :-/
i also have halogen front lights now and with relays ( that is fuses true the fusebox and a fuse for each headlight in the bonnet  :)

2528 wrote:
This what I have.

Fronts also require a warning light. I wired mine up to an independent switch so I could use them how I wanted. At MOT I took the fuse out. Lights no work, lights no have to comply with regulations. :)

ferny wrote:

Fronts also require a warning light. I wired mine up to an independent switch so I could use them how I wanted. At MOT I took the fuse out. Lights no work, lights no have to comply with regulations. :)

Sorry, have to disagree with that one.  My TR7 has front fogs and factory fitted switch and no warning lamp for the fronts - tell tale for the rear fogs only, no problems.

I have a kit I was give for christmas. Not yet fitted, I need to modify the spotlight housing to give a little extra depth for the back of the HID bulb. But I reckon they could be jolly good and I can't see what regs they will break either.
Like you I chose the warmer end of he spectrum, none of this  blue light nonsense for me.

We have HID reversing diffused work lights fitted to the welfare buses at work with 8000k bulbs and they are just amazing, plenty of white light with a hint of blue for close up parking.
The 4300k, as Clive says is more natural yellowish with more lumens (light travels further) so if the blurb is correct 'The light output from a 35W 4300K HID Xenon lamp is about 300% more visible light than a 55W halogen bulb'.

The reflector/lens is the big factor in modifying the lamp, it may be worse or the same as the 100w halogens ....hopefully not.. :D

4300k 35watt HID conversion kit arrived from here for 15 quid:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HID-xenon-bulbs-35W-conversion-kit-H1-H3-H4-H8-H9-H11-9006-4300K-10000K-/261173978406?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Fvj971G0zXjs3pJFJ2ofAZ8tHyw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

NOT Hong Kong dispatch, arrived next day UK recorded delivery to my suprise....so i set about my lamps.

No issues with the H3 bulbs, simple replacement with no length problems, they fit snugly in the housing just had to drill a hole and ad a rubber grommet for the 2 rather large bulb connectors to go through.

Wiring the extra wires for the bulb ballasts is a pain but cable ties are your friend.. ;)

During the process i borrowed an 8000k bulb and tried it, noticably less bright than the 4300k bulb, both very white but the 8000k had a blue edge/prism.

Conclusion: Just do it...! Yes they are brighter and yes they throw light further....much further. Cheap upgrade , even for 100w lamps... I have now wow spotlamps instead of average to good.
( anybody want 2x xenon 100w H3 bulbs, they wont be used again... ;) )

Some pics i took:
Before:

After ( camera struggling here) :

Hope this inspires people to have a go at their feeble 55w spotlights... :)

ferny wrote:
Might be one of the requirements which came later then. Like I said, I'm unsure as to whether or not we have to comply with fog light laws on our cars, but I assume not unless it's not factory fitted! I haven't hunted out Mike's article yet.

Early MkII 2000/2.5 have that very nice fog light option on the rotory light switch. No tell tale light fitted, and the wiring is in the loom.

ps. Series I Stags also have it,   8)

Deleted by the bean counters around 1974  :'(

• 3 months later...