PaulB

Hi all, after some recommendations here.

I've got Halogen lights lights on my spit with relays. However although they are ok on Main beam, they really seem to need a bit more brightness on dipped. Especially for the RBBR.

I want to keep the car looking original so don't want to add additional lights at the front. Plus there isn't much room.
So I was thinking of upgrading to HID lights. I've seen a kit on ebay for £80 and moss seem to do one for about £170. A big price difference. Has anyone fitted a HID kit and can recommend one?

Thanks in advance for help.
Cheers

Converting standard non sealed beam headlamps to HID is not permitted under UK law, brief script is:

HID is only legal if the headlight unit is correctly 'E' marked. Halogen headlight units and Xenon HID units have different 'E' marks. The only way for an HID kit to be road legal is if the whole headlight unit is replaced with one specifically designed for HID or the existing headlight unit is reassessed for compliance and assigned a new 'E' mark. As you can imagine, this is vastly inconvenient and expensive. In short, unless you take steps to do all of this then your vehicle will not be road legal.

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern. - Department for Transport (2006)

If you want to reead it all see attached pdf

Vehicles prior to a certain date are not required to have "E" marked lamps, therefore it should be OK to fit them with a HID kit.

Anyone in front of you will not thank you for purchasing a HID kit.. :-(

It will of course improve your rate of progress as the will pull over very quickly... :-)

Thanks for the comments. My intention isn't to blind other drivers or be illegal. So I would ensure the dipped beam is dipped.
Happy to get a complete unit including the headlamp unit.
Just wondering whether anyone has done it before and if they could recommend a unit to buy?

I fitted a cheapish HiD kit  just before the RBRR , but I didn't like them! They felt a bit "bouncy" and while testing down a country lane on high beam I nearly blinded myself from the reflective road sign !

I took them off and have halogens with "night breaker " bulbs fitted , much nicer .

But that's just my personal experience .

Roy  8)

6485 wrote:

Let me know how you get on fitting them.

RBRR isn't until October so I might change my bulbs to night breakers in the meantime and see what improvements that gives before taking the plunge in buying a HID kit.
But it would be good to know how you get on.
Cheers

I fitted HID's to my GT6 with the clear lens headlamp bowls (these are a must for correct beam deflection and avoiding blinding other) I think they are just fantastic....fitted them for the RBRR in 2012 and I wouldn't use halogens again..

339 wrote:
I fitted HID's to my GT6 with the clear lens headlamp bowls (these are a must for correct beam deflection and avoiding blinding other) I think they are just fantastic....fitted them for the RBRR in 2012 and I wouldn't use halogens again..

Where did you get them from?

339 wrote:

Sorry for the thread drift............................

8) 8) 8)Good to hear from you Tim 8) 8) 8)

I thought I'd change my halogen bulbs for some more powerful ones first to see if that made a difference. And it did. I didn't think it would but it did. I bought some Osram Nightbreaker unlimited bulbs and they are really good. So I think I will postpone my HID upgrade for the moment.

I have Philips Xtreme headlamp bulbs , huge improvement but wanted more so.....

Added 4300k 35watt HID conversion kit to the spotlamps

No issues with the H3 bulbs, simple replacement with no length problems, they fit snugly in the housing just had to drill a hole and ad a rubber grommet for the 2 rather large bulb connectors to go through.

Wiring the extra wires for the bulb ballasts is a pain but cable ties are your friend.. ;)

During the process i borrowed an 8000k bulb and tried it, noticably less bright than the 4300k bulb, both very white but the 8000k had a blue edge/prism.

Conclusion: Just do it...! Yes they are brighter and yes they throw light further....much further. Cheap upgrade , even for 100w lamps... I have now wow spotlamps instead of average / good.

Some before (with 100w spots) / after (with HID bulbs in the spots)pics i took:
Before:

After ( camera struggling here) :