Round Britain Board Game

The Round Britain Road Run board game is coming on. Gordon and I hope to give it a test run at our next Wyedean Group meeting at Coleford on the 9th Feb to see how well it works?

Steph has allowed me to put our silver wedding anniversary meal back until the weekend so that I can attend the meeting and show how it works. Anyone in the area feel like coming along to give us their 'polite' opinion

Any people with other incidents etc. not posted in the Flat Caps Mugs Tweed Jackets etc. thread want to add their experiences here please feel free.  It is a board game with a map of the route and landing on certain squares requires a penalty or bonus shown on the board, or having to draw 'Route' or Control' cards with 'bonus' or penalties.

We have about 30 cards from what Gordon and I have thought up or from the 'Fat Caps thread.  We need lots more!

MUT

Local 4x4 driver with horse box stops suddenly and reverses into you - miss two turns.
(that one didn't actually make contact - but more by luck than anyone's judgement - on my very first RBRR in 1994)

Impact with sheep on A874 (Scottish single-track road) - miss a turn
(how we avoided that in 1996 is a mystery)

Exhaust falls off - not sure what penalty is appropriate
(That one did happen in 1996, and we hung it back up with cable ties, and one hanger broke in 2002 when we used a belt)

Driveshaft UJ fails - skip a turn while you replace it
(1998 - 2500S - the drive shafts are really easy to swap)

Alternator fails near Huntingdon - skip two turns at Blyth
(in 2000, in a Stag, where swapping the alternator is a complete pig)

Electric cooling fan stops working in Cornwall
(also in 2000 in that Stag)

Rear subframe becomes detached - pause at next control point while deciding on action
(guess what - that Stag again)

Windscreen wiper falls off - miss a turn
(both 1996 in the TR7 on the M6, and 2006 in the Vitesse on Dartmoor)

Fuel starvation due to faulty (new) float valve - subtract one from your next five rolls
(2008 in the Toledo. Boy was it slow up those hills near Corbridge)

Fuel feed fails due to that same float valve - miss a turn
(thanks once again to the guys who helped us fix it)

Engine dies due to overheating and burnt exhaust valves from that fuel problem - miss three turns
(acutally we'd called ahead to say it looked like we were out, but after cooling down for half an hour it started again)

Stop to help a GT6 who needs a spare you're not carrying - roll dice for miss turn or bonus tie-break point
(we were in a PI estate in 2010, why would we have GT6 bits?)

Stop for coffee in Glencoe village - miss a turn
(2014 in the GT6 - it was good coffee and nice cakes)

Rob's ones have made me think about our run in 2012 in a bit more depth;

Fail to listen to the navigator - take a wrong turn at a traffic island - miss a turn
(Dad decided to turn left off the A1... No idea why)

Stall the engine and crunch the gearbox when turning round - miss a turn
(Dad said the clutch had failed in the above incident when turning round... he was stamping the bl**dy dip switch for the headlights!)

Stop to help a TR4 that lost all lights on an unlit stretch of dual carriageway - +1 on next roll
(Think it was a German team, and they didn't need our help, but we stopped...)

Navigator doesn't listen to driver's request for knowledge, take the wrong fork of the M90, other cars follow you - everyone moves back one space
(Dad was navigating, said to carry on, rather than fork left to the west of Perth... There's a pattern emerging here of who caused the most issues)

Get excited when leaving Skiach Services on the fun coastal road with the sun rising over the North Sea - +1 for each roll until reaching John O'Groats

Stop to see if you can pull a car out of a loch that has slipped off the road - roll dice for miss turn or bonus points
(I think most people that need to know already know the details of this one)

Check your wheel nuts with a torque wrench at Stirling - get laughed at
(I don't know which team it was, but someone thought it funny that I like to use a torque wrench in all critical locations)

Get lost in the Gordano Stare - miss three turns
(We all know this feeling)

Check engine over at Land's End - adjust alternator belt as the sun rises - admire the view and feel very lucky - roll dice for miss turn or bonus points

Diff Mounts break leaving Badgers Halt - minus one from each subsequent turn for taking it easy to make sure you get back!
(Inaudible from the drivers seat, but an obvious thunk-thunk-thunk from the backseat)

Quoted from Steve28
Get foot down in wales at night, double what you throw

Good one 🙂 same goes for A68!

Also - Get lost in Edinburgh Airport, miss a turn!

And - Feel an overwhelming sense of relief at seeing a car park full of Triumphs at Pimperne, just when you thought that you were way behind time, add 1 to next throw (not applicable if too much cake is then consumed)  

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
In my experience it was 'Get stuck down behind slow moving Dolomite in Wales at night, half what you throw' haha

In 2010 we got a nice bit of "foot down" out of Newtown, along that wonderful windy hill (which I was surprised to find I remembered from a holiday in 1992 sufficiently to chuck the PI round it)

In 2014 we were stuck behind a TR4 (European mainland team, I think) who were being sensibly cautious. At the Sugar Loaf control, we got out ahead of them and managed some nice "foot down"... with them in "close pursuit"! 😀

Few more.

"You've been navigated far off route in Scotland, somewhere. The car is filling with smoke. Miss a turn as you pull over to investigate. Miss an extra turn as you try to look inconspicuous when the smoke has cleared enough to realise you're in a police station car park" - my first RBRR

"A sleep deprived and stress sponsored heated discussion over the differences between a Sat Nav and a map spontaneously erupts between the driver and back seat driver. Miss one turn due to the navigator now being filled with fear and their navigation skill entirely decimated." - Darren driving, me waking up in the back, Dave navigating.

"You've set the motorway services control point on the north bound carriage, you are going south. Move back three spaces as you retrace your steps." - my first RBBR with Bill, my sat nav programming.

"You've set the motorway services control point on the north bound carriage, you are going south. Move back three spaces as you retrace your steps." - my last RBBR with Bill, my sat nav programming.

"You've made it to the A836! All players advance two places."

"You've made it to the A836! There's a caravan, all players move back one space."

"You've made it to the A836! The RAF have had to ditch a modern version of a historic aircraft. All players move backwards one space through a mixture of spectating and attempted recovery." - we all know...

Thanks for the input everyone.  

Some new ones to add to what we have already dreamed up though I will be having to be balancing penalties with how long the game is likely to take - if all the suggested 'miss a turn' etc. were applied the game WOULD take 48 hours!

I also have to have some things which give a bonus as well as penalties and part of the fun is converting 'bad' things into 'good' things.  

Where possible would like to include a link on each card to the person who experienced the situation - Team number, year, car ...... possibly name of entrants. If people can e-mail with
this info on ted.taylor@bigfoot.com it is easier for me to access rather than a PM.
Please remember that too much info clutters up the card and makes it difficult to read - don't want people having to spend a couple of minutes reading the card to work out what they must do leaving others waiting!  

Keep the suggestions going - logistics will limit how much is used but I am carefully recording everything.

Got the large UK map sorted - must decide which route to use so will have a word with Tim, Nigel, Jason, Dave etc. to see what they prefer.

MUT

Quoted from TedTaylor
Where possible would like to include a link on each card to the person who experienced the situation - Team number, year, car ...... possibly name of entrants.

Gosh, that could be a challenge - I've picked incidents from nine of my ten RBRRs in eight cars with eleven co-drivers.. and there's no way I can remember team numbers!

Quoted from TedTaylor
I also have to have some things which give a bonus as well as penalties and part of the fun is converting 'bad' things into 'good' things.  

MUT

Find a fuel station in Scotland still selling leaded petrol - reset timing and surge ahead 3 places!

Not exactly RBRR, but when I did a road trip to Austria 2 years ago with my mates, we were pootling along the Autobahn at about 85mph or so, at which point my mate Stu and his missus Sarah came flying past in their MR2 - well over the tonne. We commented 'Bloody Hell, Stu's going for it!' at which point over the walkie-talkies we'd installed in the cars (hard to communicate between 4 cars otherwise), we heard Stu say 'Sorry guys, Sarah's driving now.' then was interrupted by Sarah shouting 'I NEED A WEE!'...
I'm sure emergency rush for a toilet break could be built into a 'roll again' type bonus...

• 3 weeks later...