French Speeding War Continues

mikeyb

http://www.connexionfrance.com/Speed-cameras-radars-Megane-police-14513-view-article.html

Looks like the war on speeding motorists is hotting up. It also cropped up in conversation this weekend that the "carry your own breathalyser" nonsence has pretty much been suspended as being unworkable, I've not corroborated this though

ferny wrote:
On the plus side, they're Renaults and they've played with the electrics in it so they'll be easy to spot at the side of the road with their bonnets up.

.....Renaults need playing with all the time............preferably on the Cap Gris Nez cliff edge
We have personally witnessed a convoy of Police vans/cars  parked down side streets waiting for long journey ferries to empty of unwitting British tourists, and pulling them up for speeding out of town and breathalysing at the same time.

All the best bits of the 10CR will be in the dark when most John D`s will be sat watching Maigret chomping on a piece of Brie    

MikeyB wrote:
http://www.connexionfrance.com/Speed-cameras-radars-Megane-police-14513-view-article.html

Looks like the war on speeding motorists is hotting up. It also cropped up in conversation this weekend that the "carry your own breathalyser" nonsence has pretty much been suspended as being unworkable, I've not corroborated this though

Confused...do we or don`t we?
http://cars.aol.co.uk/2013/02/21/motorists-breathe-easy-as-france-delays-breathalyser-fines/

MURPHIT_RITESPIF wrote:
They were still pushing the fact that your required to carry them when we were over there last weekend, if you buy sensibly you can get a packet of two ;) for around a fiver - better than being stung twice the price at the Port or in fines.

I can remember when you could buy three for 3/9d!!!!

On the same vain, I just got a note from my mate Ash. is it true your sat/nav must not have speed camera warning enabled?   I don't know if mine has the warning or not.  The last time in England it did not warn me of any.   Years ago the previous one did.

Can we get a discount if we all buy the breath thingys in bulk?

First . Yes...any form...on a sat nav or mobile phone....no speed warning devices are SUPPOSED to be within the car!
Beer analysers ....Ellis had said at first we were to have them ...then as the press says...."They are now not legally backed, but police are saying they should still be carried"
So in other words, if you have` nt got two on board..................they can tick you off but legally cannot fine you.....................really confusing

As ever the Frenchies  are lagging way behind here  :P
Dutch police have been using unmarked "chase" cars  (equipped with speed measuring video cameras)
for well over 10 years now, so nothing to worry  ::)
Usually rather interesting and pretty fast vehicles.
Nowadays mostly Volvo's but they have used at least one Subaru Impreza GT Turbo in the past  :X

As for the breathalyser, the current French government want to get rid of it, but it seems changing the law is to much hassle.
So they won't check for them actively. I hope this info is correct as I don't carry any  :-/

michael_charlton wrote:

.....Renaults need playing with all the time............preferably on the Cap Gris Nez cliff edge
We have personally witnessed a convoy of Police vans/cars  parked down side streets waiting for long journey ferries to empty of unwitting British tourists, and pulling them up for speeding out of town and breathalysing at the same time.

All the best bits of the 10CR will be in the dark when most John D`s will be sat watching Maigret chomping on a piece of Brie    

Dont be sure, during the last 10CR I was breathalysed at 2am in a small village in the middle of France.... I was ok but was told to turn off the front spot lights. They had 4 policemen and 2 cars ready to catch us!
Mike

mpbarrett wrote:

Dont be sure, during the last 10CR I was breathalysed at 2am in a small village in the middle of France.... I was ok but was told to turn off the front spot lights. They had 4 policemen and 2 cars ready to catch us!
Mike

We were a few minutes behind you most of the way down and got exactly the same treatment, Tristan was breathalysed and of course was ok. One Gendarme got down on his knees and looked right into one of my Super Oscars looking at lamp wattage (?) and we did consider switching it on so he could see better.  Probably a good idea we didn't.....

Not news anymore really. On our way to the Alps last February there were Police with speed cameras everywhere including blokes in camouflage gear hiding out in woods by the side of the road (still chuffed that we spotted them  ;D). Same again this year.  No worries driving a 300Tdi  ;).

beans wrote:
As ever the Frenchies  are lagging way behind here  :P
Dutch police have been using unmarked "chase" cars  (equipped with speed measuring video cameras)
for well over 10 years now, so nothing to worry  ::)
Usually rather interesting and pretty fast vehicles.
Nowadays mostly Volvo's but they have used at least one Subaru Impreza GT Turbo in the past  :X

As for the breathalyser, the current French government want to get rid of it, but it seems changing the law is to much hassle.
So they won't check for them actively. I hope this info is correct as I don't carry any  :-/

At last the official words are : breathanalysers are mandatory to be in the car but no fine if lacking. Complete nonsense!

Speed camera warnings are forbidden, replaced by "zone of danger" in french set up sat navs. Those "zones of danger" are 2 to 3 km longs!

I`ve just cottoned on to how they will make money and ensure you carry a breathalyser.........
If stopped by Police and asked to produce .....eg all the spare lamps,extinguisher,first aid kit etc............and you ahve no breathalyser kit.............they may make you buy one from the police van at highly inflated prices ??)