Five Damson cars I see, or did you count those as reds? A nice spread of models too, my 1300, Herald convertible, Vitesse, GT6 and a Stag. They would look great lined up together at John O'Groats, though I realise that's not going to happen.

It does seem that that the Damson owners are the only ones to put the specific colour rather than just red, blue or whatever. After all there's a big difference between Wedgewood, Valencia or Pageant blues. Damson owners all think alike?

It's a problem telling people what color it is.

Triumph said Damson is not a red or blue car, but on its own as a "purple".
At the same time, they said magenta is "red" and not a purple.

Cops have asked me, "What color is this?" and I've said, "It's..." DON'T SAY DAMSON WE WANT TO GET OUT OF HERE "maroon.  Or burgundy."  When cops have written me up without asking, they've put down "purple".  They probably knew the Triumph color ordering scheme and didn't have to ask.

A lady at work was looking at it and said "Why do you have a brown car?"  Looking straight at it.  I told her the color is called Damson, it's sort of maroon or burgundy.  She said "No it isn't, it's BROWN."  So apparently there's a variety of colorblindness and pigheadedness that makes it register as brown.

When I registered the car long ago, I put down Damson.  They send a new copy every year when you renew, & looking at the current registration, it has under color "0     00".  So apparently Damson blew up their computer one year.

The color yields almost as much trouble as my right foot.  So when asked by not-a-cop, I say it's Damson and let them figure out that's what Damson looks like.  I won't worry about straightening out all these people for who knows how long any more.

Here in the North East, the states do not care what color your car is.  It is not noted anywhere on the title, registration card and police do not use it if they give you a ticket.  You can change color of your car anytime without telling the state.  

rotoflex wrote:
It's a problem telling people what color it is.

Triumph said Damson is not a red or blue car, but on its own as a "purple".
At the same time, they said magenta is "red" and not a purple.

Well I've got two Damson cars, (ok one car, one restoration project), and I'm not changing the colour of either one!

Don't know if you get Damson fruit over there Bill....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

mikew wrote:

I could quite take offence at that  :(

mike

Lee ( Mr. Triumph 19) Godfrey knows what I mean Mike.
Anyway if I had been rebuilding your car white would have been the only choice due to it's historical correctness :)

Colin.

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to upset anyone but I just lump all the colours I consider the same into "Red" or "Blue" or whatever no matter what you say it is - to be honest it's just so people can identify cars on the run - no one is really going to care much about the difference between yellows or greys etc. Also, when I first published this, Google docs only allowed so many conditional formats so my choices were limited  :P

Archived