Progress on participants cars 2006

Cars now been tuned and WOW what a change it went well before but now its great.BUT the diff is knackered,I had hoped it was something simple making all the noise but I have it on good authority that the diff is passing away.Its sad but in life there is only one thing thats certain.But why now ,why could it not last 12 months more I'm reluctant to do 2000 miles with that much noise in my ears.Plus I'd never hear directions.Anyone got a spare diff for a 1500 spit?
Cheers Alex

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CAR No 80 IS ALIVE !!
Fired her up today WOW ive missed that sound , its been over a year since i last heard that motor..
Front suspension all done now and got some brakes. just need some clutch a propshaft, radiator and an MOT.
See you tuesday nite, sadly not in the vitesse though .

[quote by=andrew link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=417 date=1159058557]Update Car 17 Dolomite Sprint Tina/Andrew and Jan

Thursday fitted head for the forth time, which was skimmed and had new gasket, no leaks, that was great, but had fuel problem. friday cancelled MOT. Sorted out fuel problem, then started sprint, it sounded great, although noticed oil leak from rocker box, we knew that was not really a problem. after 5 mins of running we heard a loud noise from camshaft, removed cover and found a creamy mixture. so we knew there was water in the oil.
Saturday worked most of day, came in from garage about an hour ago 12.20am. we are no further forward. so Andrew is now having a whisky he needs it
water mixing with oil, knocking camshaft whats next? We have never ever come across so many problems, there is only so much more we can do.
We will have another go tomorrow bright and early.
We have jan coming over from Sweden to be a co driver and has booked flights,  so just incase we are unable to do the run we need seat for jan to be a co driver , please contact us if you can help.

Cheers

Tina/andrew
[/quote]

Paul Moffat in his MK1 2000 only has himself and one other in his car ..could be worth a shout...

Whsat stage is the sprint at now?

THe original plan was to take the estate. THis was planned from last August, but it's still not ready. So then we thought we'd take the other big saloon, Paddington, but he's got a rubbish master brake cylinder so we'll use Clarabel. All she needs is the child seats removing and some fuel. Fingers crossed!

Driving home from the RBRR driver's meeting in the dark showed up a flaw with the lights...

They had not been raised when the car was lowered at the front.  This meant on dipped heads you could only see about 3ft in front of you...

On unlit roads and unlit sections of the motorway we had to either slow right down to aide reaction time or put full beam on and dazzle everyone around us... :(

It was an oversight on my mechanics part but since he had a very close family bereavement only the day before, but still worked to get my car ready, I don't mind.

Car's going in Friday to have the lights altered and then I hope that's the car ready...

[quote by=Goody link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=450 date=1159244240]Ok Beans How many do you want?   :B My luggage is already loaded with car parts.   :B[/quote]

Now I understand .... you're taking your Triumph over in parts and reassamble it at the Plough  ;D
Do you have 12V microwaves that fit into a GT6  ::)

No John ,that was Amanda driving on the motorway....she will be on L plates for the run
P.S. you should see the thing go when i drive it[still seems slow compared to the gt6]
But somethings def wrong with the speedo since i put the spit box in ..as i was flying down the A23 and it was only showing 60

Ooops, sorry Katie! Mistaken identity. What can I say, it was dark and my lights weren't really working...  :B

"But somethings def wrong with the speedo since i put the spit box in ..as i was flying down the A23 and it was only showing 60"

I'll remember that excuse next time I'm pulled over by the police...  :P  ;D

[quote by=ajp25tc link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=451 date=1159260107]

Paul Moffat in his MK1 2000 only has himself and one other in his car ..could be worth a shout...

Whsat stage is the sprint at now?
[/quote]

We will contact Jan later today, and contact paul moffat, so many thanks for that.

We will give an update on the sprint later,  when we go out today to have another go on the sprint it will be crunch time wether we do the run or not.  We will be gutted if we cannot do it, as we have worked so hard for months, also really looking forward to the run.  

cheers

Tina

Beans: I wish I could bring one of mine.  Boath would make the trip.  But alas I have a full luggage of parts for outheres here.  Fitting a microwave in your GT6 is no problem but finding a spot for the rather large altinator might be a problem.  Then were are you going to keep the fridge and the food?  If I had let Chris keep the Estate then I would have a car their. 

Having driven 'The Steed' to The Plough monday night, my co-driver declared the handling 'life-threatening'.

That will be the missing bush on the rear subframe then!  I told him not to worry, but he was a very pale colour so I thought I ought to listen to him.

Having rung round and not had much luck locating one, I would like to publically thank Mick Dolphin who has just spent a fair bit of his time going through his parts books with me and identifying the bush as being the same as 1300FWD centre rear subframe bush. He has just saved us a lot of time and a lot of expense, as my co-driver has 2 subframes in his barn in storage, complete with good bushes!

I knew the 1300fwd's were good for something!!

Now only 49 jobs on the list........... plus fitting the bushes we have just found.

Colin

Got the new diff out, almost beat the oil leak but I think theres a bit left.Had to move it to Gwaredd's garage as our builder needs access through mine,meant I had to put everything back together. Drove lovely compared to the knackered one shame about the leak(leaks). No whine at all I guess I could have just changed the seal but how longs it had a leak? could have been driven with low oil?could be on its way out? Oh well hopefully I'll get the recon tomorrow(thats what they've told me).

Hutch, any idea what your wheels came off originally, or who made them? Only I've got a set the same on my 2000 (only mine are black rather than green) and they've got Skoda logos on the centre caps (!!!)
People ask me sometimes what the wheels are off and I can't answer them.....  :'(

Oh, and welding being done in the morning, and I think I've sorted the steering column problems - that elusive MOT might yet be in sight  :D :D

Archived