Progress on participants cars 2006

Well thats the head done again.I spoke to Dave Pearson and he advised me to stick to the book for torque settings,thinks thats probably why the studs kept turning (perhaps going to 50 is to much for the old threads).everything tightened down in the end tonight although the nut stripped on the stud we had a problem with twice(new studs and nuts). Brakes have been bled so off for a tune up on monday.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes its a bit of a head scratcher you're right thats what we thought, but when it did it again with the helicoil we tried a different nut and that did it as well then we used an old stud and another nut and it went tight so its done now. Maybe it not gone down quite square or something? Needless to say we were not happy bunnies at the time, perhaps next time we'll look properly so I can explain my problem rather than assuming .

[quote by=Raider link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=404 date=1159001301]Car 57 was running - now it's not whilst it's water pump is removed for fettling ::)[/quote]

Well done Martin - you're getting there mate.

I've installed my headlight relays, all wired in and working - just tidying up the loom with some new tape and a few fuses now.
It all seems to work well - will whack the 100w bulbs in now and see what melts :-)
Then it's out for a long drive if I can get enough time at it, so much stuff going on it's hard to get the time at it between getting cleaned up for family duties!

It's been a day of ups and downs with my car, literally.

I've now got 1.5" negative camber at the front.  However when the car went in for its wheel alignment one had 2.5" negative while the other was ok with 1.5".  Yet both had the same shims on.  I knew they were out before but not this much.  One was toeing in way too much, the other toeing out a little!

Anyway they now both point in a straight line.

My old 'shoved on by cowboy mechanics hired by original owner' springs were a huge 3" longer than the ones I now have!  However because of this lower stance, on large bumps and 'rapid' cornering *cough* the tyres were hiting the wheel arches.  So what to do...............well in the end we found the club hammer, but it was a bit of a search... :P ;D So my inner arches are now nicely modified! It doesn't notice from the outside so I'm happy.

The front Koni shocks were set on 0 by the factory so we had a bit of guess work to get the right damping. After a way too soft 'I feel sea sick' test drive they were tightened to a much better rating!

The relay guy cried off with a bad back so myself and my mechanic are going to give them a go tommorow...

Busy day:
Re-bushed the radius arms with red poly bushes, took apart the rear brakes and clean them up and fitted new hoses, cleaned and painted some rear chassis parts, fitted new rear shockers, started to make the bracket to mount my Cibies on.

Tomorrow:
Bleed the brakes, take off the exhaust and inlet manifolds and attempt to cure the blow, finish off the light mount, make up new wiring for the spots. 

Next weekend:
Align the rear suspension and attempt to get some mileage under the belt, have another go at some more heat insulation.

Update Car 17 Dolomite Sprint Tina/Andrew and Jan

Thursday fitted head for the forth time, which was skimmed and had new gasket, no leaks, that was great, but had fuel problem. friday cancelled MOT. Sorted out fuel problem, then started sprint, it sounded great, although noticed oil leak from rocker box, we knew that was not really a problem. after 5 mins of running we heard a loud noise from camshaft, removed cover and found a creamy mixture. so we knew there was water in the oil.
Saturday worked most of day, came in from garage about an hour ago 12.20am. we are no further forward. so Andrew is now having a whisky he needs it
water mixing with oil, knocking camshaft whats next? We have never ever come across so many problems, there is only so much more we can do.
We will have another go tomorrow bright and early.
We have jan coming over from Sweden to be a co driver and has booked flights,  so just incase we are unable to do the run we need seat for jan to be a co driver , please contact us if you can help.

Cheers

Tina/andrew

Nigel,

No need for gasket- many thanks for the offer though.

Andy and Tina,

I will call you this evening. Do not owrry about Jan, we can sort him out- probably ask a few of the Big saloon drivers to have him as a passenger for stints- might be fun for Jan.
I do hope that you sort the Sprint out, however what about the Stag?

Team 86 BWK14K is ready!

Changed the front springs/shocks, flushed out the cooling sytem, fitted new hoses/thermostat, and then just spent the whole of this morning polishing.

Blimey, it's white!! I always presumed I had a grey car, but no, shiney white (and rust!)

Going to Northampton this afternoon to see by brother in law. Taking the PI, so we should have about 180 miles on the clock by this evening. Looking forward to the test run.

Another day of slog, and a productive one!

Now runs on 6, all the time!

FIXED OVERDIVE!!!!!!!

Sadly to do that the exhaust had to come off.

Fitted the stainless one 'borrowed' from teh spare car.

Now very quiet, and the exhaust exits in a very strange manner. Partly due to us having to bolt it so it avoised the 2 jubilee clips on teh replacement prop.

The replacement of which means I still have all my fillings, despite doing nearly 70mph.

HAndling scary at nearly 70...... found one subframe mounting bush was missing, allowing subframe to move up and down.......

Anyone know if a stag one fits???

Cheers

Colin

Car 55 prep is now under way. Just spent the last month prepping LCG which was going to be our entry but is now sold and will be car 33 (hope Mark and Jo have as much fun with the car as we did). So, our trusty MkIV Spitfire PEL will be pressed into service once again. New wiper blades, track rod ends, and steering rack gaiters fitted so far. but have now discovered that the anti-roll bar bushes and end links are FUBAR. New links and U-bolts ordered, TT anti-roll bar and polybushes ready to fit. Poly steering rack mounts ready to fit also. Still got to fit the new brake master, clutch slave, engine mounts, and new tyres, change the engine oil, check/top-up the gearbox and axle, do the tappets, drink tea, fart (it's the tea), swear, and get some rest. Oh, and I suppose I'd better go to the drivers meet at the Plough tomorrow night.

Archived