Progress on participants cars 2006

Be good to see you Andy.

Road Angels: I always use my old Road Angel- the 'Classic' model- use it more as a speedo than a camera warning system.
The worse section for cameras is the A68 from Corbridge to Edinburgh- so many cameras- a road that used to be used by motorcyclists alot- therefore good revenue production. Keep those eyes peeled!

The Road Book is as usual a top production by Nigel Abdullah- he has worked so hard getting it correct. I have no doubt a pedant will find a mistake! James C has putthe thing together and I hope once printed it loks good- sure it will- collect next Monday- I hope!

Still a few crews/cars on the danger list- good luck to them- I think I include myself. I think my worries are rocker gear geometry, at least I hope so, pedestal shims and solid spacers will hopefully cure my woes?

Colin, My word you are working hard on the grey mk1- keep going!

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know! Technology.  It gradually lures you in and then BANG! you're hooked. :P

What's all this talk about sat nav and road angels? People have done the RBRR since the 60's perfectly successfully without all this technological gubbins.

Mind you I'm one to talk. I forgot my mobile phone the other day and was completely lost without it.  I got through the day ok, unsuprisingly, but felt weird.  Sad or what!!

I'm going old skool for the RBRR and just having the road book and a big map....

...and my mobile phone *cough*

The advantage of using TomTom at night is that you can see the prifile of the road up ahead, so if there's a gairpin coming at you that you can't see, you won't get any nasty surprises. Also, if you get lost, you can stick in the location of the next checkpoint and get yourself back on track.

Corbridge to Edinburgh solution.....

This reminds me of the Lancia S4 Group B rally car which had it's rear bodywork designed to shear off so that it stayed cool on long stages

Simply fit your rear numberplate with screws made of icing sugar then the fine weather of the bonny scottish borders will cause number plate detachment before you even reach Hadrians Wall ...

Sorry officer... it must have fallen of back in england........  :P :P

ok, now i've got five minutes cos it's dark outside here's my nightmare panic attempt to get the spit ready for this year's RBRR. the car hasn't been on the road since february, so i decided to set to it and sort it out so that it's good to drive.
so far, in the last two weeks since coming out of hospital i've done, head gasket check, cos it blew earlier this year, tappet clearances (twice), wiper blades , sort out some po diy wiring, replace rev counter and wire up so that it works without the need to have the wipers on!, speedo cable, four branch manifold, twin pipe exhaust, new carb needles, electronic ignition, new coil, new halogen headlamps, change hood, cahnge water pump, change fanbelt, fit lowered uprated springs, fit spax all round, replaace all suspension bushes with superflex ones, replace some coolant hoses, change oil and fliter, remove gearbox tunnel, replace gear selector bushes, strip and clean carpets and seats, replace seats tenmporarily with recliners, weld up broken recliner frame, re cover seat, change air filters, change all rubber fuel hoses and fit filter, change anti roll bar links, renew steering column bush, check fluid levels in gearbox and diff, change spark plugs, fit new wheels and tyres, remove dashboard and clean and repair and reassemble, fit three point harnesses and maybe a few more items, but i know i've worked bloody hard when i'm supposed to be resting!!!
still to do starting from tomorrow:: replace door and boot seals, fit mirrors, adjust suspension angles, weld harness mounts, replace discs and pads, strip and overhaul trunnions, general grease up, fit new braided brake hoses, refit tunnel and interior, minor wiring for power and radio, fit stereo, fit relays for headlamps,replace steering wheel, need a new boss drilling to suit the wheel, mop and polish, and treat some rust, set up carbs etc.. i have all the bits i need now so it's just getting on with it, oh and course i'll have to mot and tax it before the run too!!! oh i just love this event!!!!!

[quote by=John_Martin link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=273 date=1158132968]
What's all this talk about sat nav and road angels? People have done the RBRR since the 60's perfectly successfully without all this technological gubbins.

[/quote]
yes but there wernt thousands of speed cameras back then so speed camera dedectors were not needed where as now it should help stop the bill on the run being abit more than you bargined for.....

Sadly it is the ones that don't flash that are hidden in vans and behind road-furniture that you need to worry about.

For example, 12-30am tuesday morning, Road north of Sewardstone North London, middle of bleeding nowhere, Safety Camera Partnership van with laser camera looking out the back. I hadn't seen another car for 10 minutes, and neither had they I suspect. What the f*** were they upto???

Thankfully I wasn't about to top up their coffers.

Colin

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=272 date=1158132213]Be good to see you Andy.

The worse section for cameras is the A68 from Corbridge to Edinburgh- so many cameras- a road that used to be used by motorcyclists alot- therefore good revenue production. Keep those eyes peeled!

[/quote]

I seem to recall that those cameras don't have any film in ... either that or they need your lights on to read your numberplate!
We took a 'detour' in 2004 to play a joke on a car that was following us. Lost it just outside Corbridge and ducked down a white road. Then chased after them with our lights off. Came over one of those roller coaster hills and saw a long line of about 10 Triumphs in front of us. Put my foot to the floor and intended on catching up and then turning the lights on (bit rude  :B )! I was doing "somewhat more than the legal limit" when there was an almighty bloody flash and I nearly ruined my round Britain underwear! Never got a ticket in the post though  :)

Your Road Angel didn't save me in Lincolnshire did it, Tim  :B

No the incident with the speed camera was where I was so busy looking at the camera and adjusting my speed so I was definitely under 60mph that I failed to notice the dozen or so signs next to the camera advising me that the speed limit was now 40mph!  :B ::) I think your mate Clarkson would appreciate that one.

Update...

Drove the car to Scotland on holiday.
Broke fan belt on M74.
Replaced fan belt on M74
Broke clutch near Stirling
Car went off to be fixed, spent rest of week driving hire car
Got car back and drove 450 miles in two days. I think it's been fixed :D
Bought new spare fanbelt :)

Got a trip down to Cornwall planned before the RBRR too...

[quote by=mik link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=290 date=1158239232]Bought new spare fanbelt :)
[/quote]

Once bitten, twice shy? :)

Well, I got my new oil pressure switch today - put it on, and voila! No more leaks. For the life of me I can't see where the old one was leaking from though. Oh well - that's another failed part to add to my 'shelf of shame'! :D

Had a better day, I went to work instead of working on 'The Steed'.

Had a chance encounter with a mate who runs a restoration business, and he was just finishing a concours job on a Mk2 PI saloon. And he gave me the original brake master cylinder from it.

It is obviously at 45 degrees when bolted on to the servo (bugger!) but we now have a firm brake pedal. Suspect the old master was bunged with a bit of the bathroom silicone sealant a previous owner had made a new set of seals from. Yes, I kid you not, silicone sealant!

I think this will be fine as long as the MOT guy doesn't notice, but it is a bit obvious. My co-driver says no-way.

Then found our spare mk2 Pi servo to be NBG as the bakalite casting in the back has shattered.

But progress has been made.

1 litre of Fergie grey paint has been ordered from the local Tractor Merchants and another MOT will be booked for next monday!

Colin

Fitted new trunnions yesterday and today polybushed the radius arms and painted my new airbox and rocker cover. Picked up new throttle cable ,I put that I needed a speedo cable in a previous thread but I was being a donut I meant throttle. Keep thinking I'm getting there and remember something else,or cause something else(bloody grinder).

Archived