Progress on participants cars 2006

Yes, Neil, it has taken an age, but good restorers like to take their time (and cost a lot, as I'm finding out!). However, I think the RBRR entrants will be suitably impressed with the finish when I turn up at the Plough. It really is going to look the business.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote by=AlanChatterton link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=142 date=1155461179]
All that is left to do is;
New suspension
Poly Bush kit
Tyres
Spot lights
CLEAN
Service
Thrash!!

Hope to have it MOT'd by the end of August...................

[/quote]

Why do I get this sinking feeling that I'm going to get dragged to assist in some of these areas.......?
Mind you, that'd be fair enough as he's going to get dragged into helping me when I change the clutch in mine!  ;D

Progress for Team 85: So far, minimal

Still to do:
Poly bush suspension
Change to overdrive gearbox and replace clutch (I have a clutch but, as yet, not a gearbox)
Fit new engine mountings
Fit stereo system - can't do 2,000 miles with just the original radio!!
Free-off rear brakes, and adjust in order to appease the MOT man
Get new MOT certificate
Anything else I've forgotten!

So, what with having two near-full time jobs, and being out the next two weekends, September's gonna be fun!
What's the current record for nights without sleep BEFORE you start the RBR??? :-/

Here's my "Still to do" list (just to cheer everyone else up!!!)

Rebuild engine
Rebuild gearbox
Refit engine, gearbox, transmission
Refit rear suspension
Refit brakes and new brake lines
Attach all electricals
Convert to alternator
Add electronic fuel pump and electronic ignition
Refit doors and bootlid
Re-upholster seats
fit new carpets
fit all interior trim
fit all exterior trim
run-in
plus a load of other stuff I've probably forgotten!

Feel better now?

Progress on my P.I. estate UBH 9J not quite as planned. Currently has engine and box out after dumping thrust washers in the sump. Just when we thought welding was finished managed to find more holes in nearside floorpan and outrigger, not to mention the valance. Having had to move premises recently we are still trying to sort everything out which doesn't help. Another minor detail nearly forgot car needs full respray! Apart from that ready to go!

Anyone got any Rover 800 Recaros they want rid of ? Having just fitted a set to Alan Chattertons P.I can confirm they are excellent. Just delivered the car back this evening. So much more comfortable and supportive when thrashing round the lanes, sorry carefully tootling round the lanes!

Picked up my likely steed last night. a slightly (OK, very) rough looking dreadnought class Mk1  2000 saloon.

The previous owner, Finn, described it as having a slight misfire. If you count running on 4 cylinders and flames out of the exhaust then yes, it has a slight misfire.

Will take large hammer to the drivers door in a week or so and will then be able to get in and out the correct side.

So almost ready then.......

Cheers

Colin

[quote by=RumPith link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=156 date=1155653524]You must be gutted![/quote]
Well, I've been happier... :-/

There was only me in the Spit, and only 1 guy in the Polo that hit me, and we're both okay - I'm kinda glad he didn't hit the driver's side though - that door's bent in quite a way...

I'd be suprised if the insurance company decide to write it off - it's insured for an agreed value of £10k, and I can't imaging the repairs costing that much. Especially since it's just the bodywork - all the mechanicals are fine.

Now I've just got to hope that the insurance company pay up in a timely manner so that I can still make the RBRR...

Got the discs resurfaced today on the hubs with a neat tool called a procut
New pads fitted mintex 1155's cured the high speed wheel vibration.
Most bizarre thing was the guy that runs the garage in ashford races a 2.7ltr vitesse
230 bhp at the wheels 280 at the flywheel
See their Webb site for more info!

http://www.powerbase-auto.co.uk/julian_racing.htm

[quote by=thescrapman link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=153 date=1155647741]Picked up my likely steed last night. a slightly (OK, very) rough looking dreadnought class Mk1  2000 saloon.

The previous owner, Finn, described it as having a slight misfire. If you count running on 4 cylinders and flames out of the exhaust then yes, it has a slight misfire.

Will take large hammer to the drivers door in a week or so and will then be able to get in and out the correct side.

So almost ready then.......

Cheers

Colin[/quote]

This sounds worthy of being deemed a shed! would you like it featured on www.shedtune.co.uk send some pics and a bit of a story about it!

So, started taking the gearbox out today to replace the clutch............ easy.

Not so easy when I snapped all 3 studs on the manifold!!

Rats!

So, now injection equipment off, manifold off, drill and new studs then replace. Oh, must change the clutch while I'm there!!

At this moment in time, there is strong possibility of there being a last minute change of RBRR car to the Yellow estate!!!!

Groan! Will keep you posted Tim!

Just bought my old chicane back from my ex lodger who had used and abused it, not to mention bent it! Now spoilt for choice! Got three potential RBRR chariots and they are all knackered to varying degrees!" Sorry Tim looks like there may be a few amendments to our entry. Will advise as soon as decided which one stands the best chance of making it.

Got most of mine done now, just waiting for the overdrive gearbox to turn up. Its been on order for nearly 10 weeks now so must soon be ready!
Anybody done it in a herald without an overdrive? Anybody got any ideas about what to do if it don't turn up in time? Is it worth fitting a spitfire diff, will that make much difference?

Fingers crossed its not another 2 weeks like every other time i've rang up to see if its ready!

Steve

Thanks for the words of encouragement Nigel!!

New clutch is in, gearbox is back on. Went to put the new gearbox mount on and discovered that the holes are in the wrong place........back to Earlparts!!

Manifold due to come off soon to be re-drilled........., Polybush kit collected (thanks to Mr Pearson of Canley Classics!)

Feeling confident of BWK14K making the start...................  (pigs fueled, ready for flight!)

Watch this space!!

Progress on BRP is on my blog  but the biggest frustraion I am having at the moment is trying to get a mount sorted out for my camcorder ::)

Oh, then I need to find out why the Cibies aren't working and fix em.

In addition put some carpets back in - stripping out the car for competition reasons is making it too noisy for a long road trip.  Maybe this will be the last RBRR in this car as by 2008 it will have a roll cage, sprint engine, fire extinguisher etc etc and will be a bit too wearing for a road car.

A good reason to get my spare TR7 or the Vitesse back on the road :-/ ;D

Archived