Progress on participants cars 2006

Well I am spending an hour a night now finishing off, the 13/60 estate, I think the handpainted look might just catch on ;-)
Things to do, replace siderail, finish bits and bobs on the body, get headlights working, wire up the driving lamps, fit CB, check rear hubs and bleed the brakes.
I went to the Leicester Sunshine Rally in it and it was very well behaved (except no lights)

The only problem is that I have just bought a stunning 2000 Mk2 estate,  the team are a bit rebelious, (the scurvey dogs), and want me to take that instead of the herald I have lavished so much time money and brushes on! !!

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote by=heraldhabitat link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=172 date=1156371746]Well I am spending an hour a night now finishing off, the 13/60 estate, I think the handpainted look might just catch on ;-)[/quote]

Yep, I'm doing a disgraceful bodge and just hand painting over the rusty patches in time for the RBRR!  :o

I will be having a bare metal respray very soon after it though, I hasten to add!!  ;D

car 9 , 1964 MK1 2.5 PI.
running in nicely now.  No oil leaks , Clock up some more miles this weekend and up to the area meet. nxt. Tue. evening.
still pulling like a train ,.
watch out all heading north very quickly especially round corners and islands.PI squadron cleared and ready for take off, all hand luggage allowed including explosive cocktails for fuel tank.

[quote by=thescrapman link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=177 date=1156499516]Well I'm hopefully off to 'fix' the door of my steed with a big hammer this weekend, does that count???
[/quote]

Well we repatriated our steed and did our 'fixing' and now we can get in the drivers door.

My co-driver couldn't resist having a fiddle and got it running on more than 3 cylinders, and it will cruise at 60 so I am told, I had gone home by then!

But it has highlighted a few other issues. It has a nightmare vibration at about 40 upwards, and he has spotted a nice shiny jubilee clip on the prop.

So 2 questions have arisen there. Is that the resonant frequency for a mk1 2000 prop, like 55ish is the one for a spitfire???

Will a mk2 2000 Manual OD or mk2 2.5PI prop fit a Mk1. Does anyone have a decent spare one???

Also the OD doesn't. Will a Mk2 2.5Pi box fit a Mk1 2000??? I think I can lay my hands on one of these if required.

Have managed to get a few pictures, attached is it's worse side, kinda.

Colin

[quote by=jcarruthers link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=176 date=1156495048]Can we hear some more RBRR bodges please - because Hutch seems to think it's a reason to restore his car for...
[/quote]

I am hoping if time allows to cover the sheds wheel arches in gaffer tape..does this count as partial restoration?

[quote by=ajp25tc link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=180 date=1156623701]

I am hoping if time allows to cover the sheds wheel arches in gaffer tape..does this count as partial restoration?[/quote]

It is going to for us. But we will paint it with Grey Fergie Tractor paint from the local farmers supply shop to do a 'proper job'!

Colin

That doesn't make me feel so bad about the state of my car now!  :P

A quick paint and new suspension and it might actually pass as a car at the start!  ;D

The piccy below shows the current paint 'problem' and also the height of the front suspension...  :B :B

...only good if you like star gazing!  :P

Still, the new front springs and shocks will be here soon....

...won't they David????  :P ;D

[quote by=thescrapman link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=189 date=1156712933]

We did have a go at it...... with a lump hammer!

;D

Colin
[/quote]

Is that what caused the damage in the first place?
;D
I remember Andy Mac. driving into a skip in the worksalike just before it's 'debut'. Then the week we took it to the Pyrenees he 'dyked' it and had to fit two new doors, and refit the rear windscreen ... after adjusting the gap with a jack!

Well I ordered a helicoil kit today to repair my head stud so tomorrow I'm going into canley to pick up a head gasket,head studs and nuts etc. Wont get a chance to do anything till next weekend as I need to finish the bathroom , only tiling so should be done in a weekend. Started writing a list of jobs I need to do and it kept getting longer so I've torn it in half so its just 2 little lists,easy! Cuts you're work load in half ;D

Archived