Progress on participants cars 2006

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn! This is indeed bad news mate - if there's anything we can do to help do shout out! Have you considered a quick engine swap from the likes of
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Triumph-TR7-FHC-spares-or-repair_W0QQitemZ280026671677QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29760QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem get your £50 out!

Thanks for your good wishes Jason.

Actually I am considering the possibility of throwing in my £75 e-bay Sprint engine. The picture shows the bottom end and one of the shells - any thoughts anyone? I have just had a look this afternoon - I have never heard the engine running but it does turn freely

I'd spend a day swapping the Sprint engine in.

Stick an oil pressure gauge on her and see what happens- do a compression test as well. Then if ok- give it a hundred miles and see. Probably be ok.

I have had a horrible day:
This morning got up dead early to go to Canleys to collect the Herald gearbox, decided to use the GT6.
First off found the Mondeo had been broken into- nothing stolen- just a completely wrecked doorskin- nice eh! I have now lived in Staines for 5 years and suffered 4 car break ins- good stuff- only reason to report the damage is for a crime no. Still probably more important for the Police to spend some time catching major villans who break the speed limit by 3 mph.

Then driving the GT6 up the M40 got as far as jct 9 and suddenly clatter, clatter- pullled over onto the hard shoulder- bent push rod on exhust valve to no. 2 cylinder- the second time this has happened- the last being on the way home from the Silverstone Classic in July. So I changed the push rod for a spare one- immediately the same scenario- bent push rod. Most weird as it seems the valve is sticking, which is strange as the head has done 15,000 miles.
Anyrate got recovered home, lept into the damaged Mondeo and got to Canleys for 12.30- collected parts and ended up leaving about 2.15.
Hit the M40 just south of Leamington Spa and hit a mega jam- 3 hours sitting with the engine off- got in at 7.45 this evening!
What a pony old day!

Tomorrow, its off with the head time!
Looks like the rear suspension re-build is postponed, will replace the radius arm bushes though.

Still so much of the RBRR to organise as well!!!

Martin,

Good luck- its gotta be worth it. I would lend the grey car, but I need it as possible reserve car! The Herald is unlikely, as I need to sling the 'box in, sort out the front brakes plus numerous other things- not enough time.

Good luck with the engine transplant.

Martin - terrible news about BRP - dump the sprint lump in - give me a shout if you need any advice (I'm sure Theo will pitch in with advice as well). Just make sure you sort out your heater hose routing before you put the engine in...

I'd lend you Lefty, but it's still running like a dog. ::)

As I understand it the connection from the Sprint motor to the TR7 heater in and out pipes isn't the same.  Ellis will no doubt explain further (I've not YET owner a sprint engined '7).

As for my prep?  Not major Tim or Martin disasters thank god, though RAP is with S&S for the next week or two to resolve a couple of 'issues' I haven't the time to deal with.  Let's hope all is OK....

Acclaims on e-bay anyone  :o

Malcolm.

Car 17, Andrew/Tina Lacey

Raider I would agree with Tim and ellis and put the sprint engine in,  we have just put another engine in our Sprint, it has had a bottom end rebuild, replacement  jackshaft, rebuilt waterpump, every gasket and seal replaced, bores in excellent order, fitted new exhaust system etc.  It only come back from having a respray done four weeks ago, we have never heard the engine running prior to rebuild.
We still have a lot to do, we have no brakes, carbs, waterpump cover, lights, petrol tank. fuel line heater motor, alternator, startermotor, gearstick,  vinyl roof the list goes on. But we will do it. Also MOT, tax and insurance.  Sunday and Monday looks like they are going to be busy days, we should be able to get alot done.

Andy and Tina- good luck.

I reckon there are 103 Triumph owners sweating at present all over the Uk and in USA , Portugal and Holland.

As a re-cap, I reckon the following are toiling away on their vehicles:
4. Jon Ranwell: Spitfire- Full re-build.
6. Dave Kent: Spitfire- loads.
7. Ellis Stokes: 2500TC: Engine mounts- new rad etc.
8. Colin Wake: 2000- Weld-a-thon.
10 Tim Bancroft: GT6: Cyl head and rear suspension.
14 & 15: Doug Foreman: GT6 Gearbox- Herald: Loads
17 Andy and Tina Lacey: Full re-build conclusion
33. Mark McLEan: Dolomite Sprint: Full re-build
46. David Paerson: Stag: Engine re-build and car re-comission (Saw this Stag yesterday- a beauty).
54. Jason Chinn; Vitesse: Pi woes.
57. Martin Randle: TR7: Engine replacement- we hope. Gotta see BRP on the RBRR.
58. Nigel Gair: 2000: Cyl Head porting and machining.
62. Thomas Key: TR6: Diff .
63. Chris Gray: Spitfire: Serious body damage problems.
71. Dave and Fred: 2000: Re-comission works after 10 year lay up.
77. Craig Bennett: 2.5Pi: Re-build.
80. Karl Dandridge: GT6- Full re-build.
86. Alan Chatterton: 2.5Pi: Re-build.
87. John Martin: GT6:Suspension re-build.
89. James Shackford: 2.5Pi: Body repairs.
90. Andy Mac: 2000: Weld-a-thon.
94. Richard Brake: Herald: Weld-a-thon.

Bloody hell!

Right instead of typing this- I had better get to the garage and get sttuck in- 1.5hrs head off?

Sure is loads of stuff to be done :o

I wish all crews the best of luck and hopefully all cars will be present and correct.

For my part, I have a longstanding family commitment today and then a full week's work ahead (that is, for my employer. ::))

Having said that I will try and find some time on a couple of evenings this week to tidy my garage up a bit to make space and think through/locate the spares I already have whilst buying what else I will probably need including an engine stand and a parts washer.

I am also e-mailing/phoning contacts across the north of England to locate an engine crane and any willing volunteers. The plan is, come Friday night start stripping the car down followed by Saturday and Sunday for the engine swap with Monday off work to resolve any outstanding niggles.

So, come a week tomorrow night I will know if BRP is still in the event :-/

I have to investigate a clunking noise at the rear ,change the studs in the leaf spring,fit new door locks, hardtop ,passenger seat,re-torque head,oh and drive it to make sure the leaks fixed between the head and block, this is very difficult to type with my fingers crossed but there would appear to be people with bigger problems than mine so good luck to those concerned.

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=235 date=1157873186]As a re-cap, I reckon the following are toiling away on their vehicles:

...87. John Martin: GT6:Suspension re-build....[/quote]

I must give credit where credits due, Tim.  I'm working hard to earn the money to pay for the parts (!) but the suspension re-build will be done by a Triumph mechanic who has done sterling work on the rest of my car; Adam Chignell.

He knows Triumphs inside out, and for agreeing to do my suspension at a 'special rate' I'm sticking a little advert for his company on my car during the RBRR. :)

Sorry to hear about your woes, Tim.  I hope it all goes smoothly from here on in.

Good luck Raider.  Sounds as though the cammeraderie of the RBRR is starting early for you, and I'm sure you'll get all the help you need.

Quote:
Good luck Raider.  Sounds as though the cammeraderie of the RBRR is starting early for you, and I'm sure you'll get all the help you need.

That's why I enjoy being a part of this club :)

Alex, on the indicators I am sure you will have thought of this but it sounds like a bad earth or three - cleaning all connections will hopefully sort it. Good luck with the rest of the jobs.

Okay, quick update on team.........................um can't remember,...86 I think?????? Tim????

Anyway, BWK14K MKII 2.5PI is "getting there" !!

So far,

Mamouth welding sessions
New clutch
New exhaust and manifold (to replace the manifold I trashed!!)
New seats/frames/belts
Rear Seat belts
Strut Brace
Rear Suspension overhaul (polybushes, springs, shocks, u/j's, bearings and the obligatory freeing of the rusty handbrake!
Front suspension overhaul (springs, shocks, ball-joints, polybushes, pads, bearings)

Only got to;
Sort out blowing exhaust
Fit Stereo and speakers
Clean
Quick service
Lean off the metering unit (bit rich at the mo!)

MOT booked for a week on Monday (18th!)
Insurance sorted on Tuesday

I think........................(he says, jinxing it!) that not only will be ready in time, It should be finished and using/thrashing in less than 10 days time!!

Keep ya posted!!

(ps Good luck to all the builders out there who are still battling away, keep at it! Mr Marshall finally has a working overdrive and a working clutch after this weekend Yee-haa!!)

Archived