Progress on participants cars 2006

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Car 18 - G & J Mimer

Had my first little 'hiccup' today!

I took the car out on a nice long run - 150 miles around the Cotswolds, all running fine until my oil light came on. Funny, the level was fine when I left.....

So I pulled the dipstick - bone dry! Uh-oh. A quick look under the engine revealed a nice little puddle of oil steadily growing on the ground. Fantastic! :-/
As far as I can tell from grovelling around in a layby, it's a leak from around the oil pressure switch (is it possible for the switch itself to leak?) A quick bodge involving a strip of cloth and an elastic band sealed the leak enough to get me the 100 miles home again,  and the engine doesn't seem to have suffered any harm (I hope!) from the loss of oil. The oil still drips out now, but at least it isn't spraying out like it was. Looks like I'll be getting mucky next weekend sorting this one out.

Still, at least this happened now, rather than in a months' time!

Oh, and I'm happy to report the car ran beautifully otherwise. :)

[quote by=AlanChatterton link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=247 date=1157924340]
Mr Marshall finally has a working overdrive and a working clutch after this weekend Yee-haa!!)[/quote]

This is indeed true, anmd I supoose I ought to put in print my thanks to Mr Chatterton for dropping by yesterday afternoon to actually get the gearbox back on to the splines for me. Considering I've now converted 3x J-reg 2000 saloons from straight 4-speed to overdrive you'd think I'd be able to do this on my own by now.....

However, my excuse is that I've never physically changed a clutch by myself before and it's highly possible that it wasn't quite lined-up properly and that's why we stuggled to get the 'box back in.
But back in it is. It works and that's one job crossed off the list. Will change engine mounts tonight and that just leaves:

Free-off rear brakes, and change front pads
Replace rear semi-trailing arm bushes
Replace steering rack mounts
Get it through an MOT
Check all UJ's
Get oil light working again (bulb? pressure switch? wiring? stubborn Triumph)

Fitting a stereo, rev counter and hazard lights are now rapidly being de-moted from the "Jobs to do" list onto the "It would be nice to have...." list!!!  ;D

Good luck to everyone else still toiling away, and see you at the start. It will all be worth it in the end.....just keep telling yourselves that  ;)

[quote by=Raider link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=240 date=1157876292]

That's why I enjoy being a part of this club :)

Alex, on the indicators I am sure you will have thought of this but it sounds like a bad earth or three - cleaning all connections will hopefully sort it. Good luck with the rest of the jobs.[/quote]

Martin

If you don't get sorted you could always borrow Mr Bumble or even The White Tornado we just need to get her an MOT....they are both insured.  We also have an engine lift...if you need us just give us a call

Sarah & Berkeley

Sum total of the work on the 2000 since last tuesday.......

I found a circlip to replace the one I lost over my shoulder. No good. And it cost me £4 to buy a box of 300 assorted ones. Now what to do with the other 299.

But.... the weld-a-thon restarts tomorrow! An MOT may be in sight......

Colin

Keith,

Overheating GT6- This might sound daft, but is it overheating- I had loads of problems with the gauge showing my GT6 was running too hot, stuck a mechanical capillary type in - no problems as the orig. gauge was over-reading. Wiring resistance?- still thinking about it, has'nt your car got a new loom in.

Is the rad new? Flushed the engine block out? Elec fan working at correct temps?

How about using one of those laser type temp gauges- you points at the waterwaysand it tells the temp- could be used to indicate if there is a blockage.

Tim,
        Look, you've already got me into trouble re the 123 dizzy.
Now, I NEED, an electonic pump, all right??
Mum's the word.  I bet Karl reads this and grasses on me.

Seriously though, I have put a digital thermometer in the rad fins
and she's pretty warm. Fan cuts in at 86.5. New rad, recent pump sonic bathed block,
rad shrouds fitted and running no thermostat. No significant coolant loss.
Nothing we can't overcome !
                  Cheers,
                        Keith

I think possibly the way to install a electric water pump is to buy a alloy pump housing and make up a blanking plate and then install the pump halfway down the bottom hose- this way you still keep the thermostat and temperature guage sender positions and have the ability to substitute a mechanical pump should the EWP fail.

[quote by=thescrapman link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=254 date=1157979157]Sum total of the work on the 2000 since last tuesday.......

I found a circlip to replace the one I lost over my shoulder. No good. And it cost me £4 to buy a box of 300 assorted ones. Now what to do with the other 299.

But.... the weld-a-thon restarts tomorrow! An MOT may be in sight......

Colin[/quote]

Great. I need a circlip ... not sure of the size. If you could send the box over to me, I'll find the one I need and then forward to the next person who shouts out.  ;D

Quote:
Martin

If you don't get sorted you could always borrow Mr Bumble or even The White Tornado we just need to get her an MOT....they are both insured.  We also have an engine lift...if you need us just give us a call

Sarah & Berkeley

Thanks you guys - it would be an honour to drive the White Tornado :)

I am, howrver, diving into the Sprint engine conversion this weekend and I already have an offer on the cairo taxi too so I hope I won't need to follow  up your kind offer.

[quote by=Raider link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=266 date=1158086833]

I am, howrver, diving into the Sprint engine conversion this weekend and I already have an offer on the cairo taxi too so I hope I won't need to follow  up your kind offer.
[/quote]

Had a quick look at the taxi,I need to pinch a couple of bits to test run the Shed up to the drivers meet but will have spare bits in time I reckon as I sit fairly close to the wheel the seat position should be ok for you-she just needs a service and a tidy up-it may also be an excuse to get those rear springs and dampers that  have been winking at at mr wittors!

[quote by=Raider link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=266 date=1158086833]

[/quote]

Had a quick look at the taxi,I need to pinch a couple of bits to test run the Shed up to the drivers meet but will have spare bits in time I reckon as I sit fairly close to the wheel the seat position should be ok for you-she just needs a service and a tidy up-it may also be an excuse to get those rear springs and dampers that  have been winking at at mr wittors!

Not planning to use "SatNav", but do intend to have Autoroute running on the laptop, linked to a GPS receiver so that we have a large screen "Moving Map Display" to use in conjunction with the road book and paper map.  If I can borrow a Road Angel, then we will have a bit of advance warning of Cameras (and other danger points) - but if one doesn't exceed the speed limit, then there is no risk of getting a speeding ticket :)

I'm planning on following the other Triumphs.... map or road book is for sissys ;D

Spoke to Doug last night... tried to de-stress him as he crawled round Swiss Cottage in his Transit

The cactus 2000 is almost ready to go... I'll be giving the injection linkages a tweak and fitting headlamp relays so as to light up the night with 100W halogens  :P

Can't wait... flying into London next Friday.... hope nobody leaves an unattended Mac Donalds Supersize Meal Packet around Terminal 3 and closes the place down  :)

Archived