Progress on participants cars 2006

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As GURty has been playing us up a bit (and been renamed GRRRRty) and is also fitted with a towbar, we are contemplating taking a trailer full of spares with us.

Has anyone ever done the RBRR with a trailer on the back???

Or perhaps we need a caravan, to sleep in when it breaks down..... :-)

Or even better, we could take the car trailer with another Triumph on it. It is like a 2nd home to GRRRRty at the moment.

We can swap them over when they breakdown and the co-driver can work on the broken one whilst we keep to the timetable.

Colin

Team 85 suffered a bit of a set-back today with a polite refusal from the MOT man to issue a new certificate  ??)

Reasons were as follows:
N/S headlamp aim too high (shouldn't be too difficult)
O/S headlamp not in good condition affecting beam pattern (ie no spread pattern - has anyone else ever heard of this??)
Steering column top bush excessively worn (Any comments on how to fix this would be gratefully received)
N/S handbrake recording little effort (which put paid to my idea that I sorted that last weekend)
N/S footbrake below par (see above)
Hole in N/S/F inner arch (b*gger. But at least everywhere else escaped intact)
There was an advisory for the N/S/F tyre being on the limit (it's all N/S/F, ain't it?) and, the best of all, INITIALLY an advisory that the steering rack was "excessively rough" which he then, 10 minutes later, decided to upgrade to fail!!  >:(

So, a call to the welder's is in the pipeline and a second call to a parts supplier following closely on behind that.

Oh yes, and before Chatterton has chance to point this out for ridicule (seeing as he helpfully dropped by the test station to help / poke his nose in / take the p*ss) I will do it myself: both he and the MOT man were highly amused by the safety pin currently employed to hold the clevis pin in the O/S handbrake! All I will say is that at the time I had it apart I didn't have any split pins to hand......  ;D

Quote:
and before Chatterton has chance to point this out for ridicule

Mr Marshall,

What a disappointingly low opinion of me you have. To suggest that I was going to mention the safety pin holding the handbrake linkage together on this forum, fills me with disappointment, betrayal, and shame.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Quote:
To suggest that I was going to mention the safety pin

.............'cos if my company weren't such tight arses, and allowed my mobile phone to email pictures to my PC, I would have SHOWN the safety pin holding the handbrake linkage together on this forum, and REALLY taken the piss!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[quote by=Dave2000 link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=350 date=1158775177]Team 85 suffered a bit of a set-back today with a polite refusal from the MOT man to issue a new certificate  ??)

Reasons were as follows:
N/S headlamp aim too high (shouldn't be too difficult)
O/S headlamp not in good condition affecting beam pattern (ie no spread pattern - has anyone else ever heard of this??)
Steering column top bush excessively worn (Any comments on how to fix this would be gratefully received)
N/S handbrake recording little effort (which put paid to my idea that I sorted that last weekend)
N/S footbrake below par (see above)
Hole in N/S/F inner arch (b*gger. But at least everywhere else escaped intact)
There was an advisory for the N/S/F tyre being on the limit (it's all N/S/F, ain't it?) and, the best of all, INITIALLY an advisory that the steering rack was "excessively rough" which he then, 10 minutes later, decided to upgrade to fail!!  >:(

So, a call to the welder's is in the pipeline and a second call to a parts supplier following closely on behind that.

Oh yes, and before Chatterton has chance to point this out for ridicule (seeing as he helpfully dropped by the test station to help / poke his nose in / take the p*ss) I will do it myself: both he and the MOT man were highly amused by the safety pin currently employed to hold the clevis pin in the O/S handbrake! All I will say is that at the time I had it apart I didn't have any split pins to hand......  ;D[/quote]

May I have a pic of this quality motor to put on www.shedtune.co.uk please!

I washed it!!!

That 4 speed auto is looking less likely by the day at the moment.

I did get round to fitting some nice increased castor dragstrut bushes to it over the weekend. Certainly made a difference to the steerings self centering ability. sorted out the wheel alignment all round while i was about it.

That may have to be the total prep sadly.

Quote:
May I have a pic of this quality motor to put on http://www.shedtune.co.uk please!

In a change my usual stance, I am going to defend Dave here.

It really is a very nice car, certainly not a shed. Ok, a few MOT issues to sort out, but apart from that, it is a very honest, pretty looking car.

Dave bought it in May and he is only the 2nd owner, the previous owner being a lovely lady from Maidenhead, who cried when RVM was driven away. Dave has had to promise to send her postcards from John'O Groats and Lands End!

So, no picture for shedtune, it is far too good for that.

(picture of the safety-pin, perhaps but not the car!!!)

[quote by=AlanChatterton link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=357 date=1158784883]

In a change my usual stance, I am going to defend Dave here.

It really is a very nice car, certainly not a shed. Ok, a few MOT issues to sort out, but apart from that, it is a very honest, pretty looking car.

Dave bought it in May and he is only the 2nd owner, the previous owner being a lovely lady from Maidenhead, who cried when RVM was driven away. Dave has had to promise to send her postcards from John'O Groats and Lands End!

So, no picture for shedtune, it is far too good for that.

(picture of the safety-pin, perhaps but not the car!!!)[/quote]

True ! I will use the pic of the safety pin! I should also have a quality shed section? to put the decnt motors in!

Car 17 Tina/andrew and Jan

Progress is still not as good as we would have wanted, Andrew collected the head from the machine shop Tuesday Afternoon and also ordered a extra thick gasket from our local autoparts shop who said it would be delivered the next day. Andrew went to pick it up and the wrong one had been delivered (1850 not Sprint)

We have booked the sprint in for an MOT Friday so lunchtime today we hope the right gasket will be at the shop, if so it will be the fouth time we are going to try and fit a head and if it leaks again I don't know what we will do. Andrew with the help of myself have fitted quite a few heads to cars including our stag and a few sprints but never have we had a problem til now.  If all goes well it will have an MOT then tax on friday. Andrew has checked all electrics ect. while waiting for things to be done and all is fine on that front. We still have vinyl to fit to roof  but that can be done in the next week.

I had a call this evening from a commitee member who had heard that we were having problems with the sprint, they wanted to know wether we needed any advice ect.  and was concerned we were having so many problems.  We know what the problem was with the sprint and with luck can sort it out.  I think it says it all about this wonderful club we are in, there is always some-one out there to offer help and advice. This member does not even use the forum. What a great club :)

Tina

Front and rear shocks and front springs all successfully fitted.  Thanks to Canley Classics for the parts and the great service.  Great people.................that deserves a 10% discount on my next order surely Dave? :P

The front is now at a suitable height, helped by the 1" lower than standard front springs. I won't be star gazing as I drive along now!

The front wheels are still a little too 'vertical' and so today the mechanic is adding shims and wotnot to get just a bit of negative camber.

The useless heater was diagnosed as having a snapped wire inside one part of it or something, so we're now scrabbling round for a replacement part.  Blimey, the thought of having a heater that works and will clear the screen is quite a novelty.  I'm not used to such luxuries in my car! ;D

The leccy chap never turned up in the end to do the relays and generally check over the lighting system, so that's now booked for next Thursday.  He'd better turn up!! It'll only be a week before the RBRR...

Still at least I can now print off James' wiring diagram to give him...

I know I am not taking part in the actual run this year (But will be in for the next one and the ten countries and counties for that matter!)

But I will be down at Lands End doing a bit of marshalling on the run and hope to be there in my newly restored GT6 MKIII (Providing i get it finished!)

status is just fitting a replacement inlet manifold after i umm broke the last one! while trying to fit a new heater control valve thingy. then interior to fit, roof cover to be made, and an MOT then she is ready to go!

Just got back from Poundland (I'm not proud :P ) and bought 40 Latex Gloves for........yep you guessed it, £1.  Excellent value I think for stuff you'll only use once and throw away.

Also I bought one of those Cigarette Socket things, where you plug it into your one socket and get four sockets.  For £1 I thought it worth a punt, even it goes wrong soon after the RBRR.

They also had some really bright LED lights that have clips so they fit onto the seat belt to aid map reading, batteries included! Two for £1. 

I've always walked past Poundland as its usually full of...........well, chavs!  But I saw some car stuff in there so ventured in.  Once you fight your way past all the Addidas clad teenage mums and their screeming brats, the shop actually has some quite good stuff amougnst all the plastic tat!! ;D

report back from 'Test Driver Central'

Car will now do 1 mile faultlessly, and then mis-fire the 1 mile back home.

HAs done 60 miles of testing.

I just keep taking him more bits to try.......

Took me 3hrs to remove the NS rear driveshaft last night / this morning. Clearly had not been off ever before.

Need to remove OS one tonight as he reports that also has a duff UJ on it.

:-(

Colin

No, 3 hours to remove the one from the spare car, I haven't tried getting either one off the proper car.

The spare car is parked in the undergrowth halfway up my garden, beyond the reach of power/air tools.

And I had to saw all 4 flange bolts off, lying upside down in the damp leafmould. The 6 bolts into the radius arm came undone a treat!

I don't do lying upside down.

:-(

Colin

Ours went for some 'pre-MOT' welding today, and hope to have it back in a few days.
Still quite a few little things to do, but I think most of them can be fitted in before, and if not its not then end of the world.

The car might even have new feet if I get keying, spraying and polishing as James took it upon his saintly self to buy some wheels that I REALLY wanted.

Archived