Progress on participants cars 2006

Car 86, BWK14K is now road legal!!

Passed the MOT this morning with no problems (couple of little things but nothing serious!) and now just collected my FREE tax disc from the Post Office (don't you just LOVE tax-exempt vehicles!!!)

So, a few minor jobs to do, but apart from that, we're ready!

Sam (wifey and co-pilot!) saw the tax disc in the windscreen, grabbed the keys and took off in a cloud ot tyre-smoke. (the witor exhaust drowning out my cries of "watch the brakes, the new pads haven't bedded in yet!!!!!)

Verdict, she loves it. Reckons it is a right little pocket-rocket!

Is it just me, or am I the luckiest guy on earth. Not only does my wife not mind me spending every daylight hour over the last month under the PI, but she loves the result just as much as I do. Is that a marriage made in heaven or what!!

See you in a couple of weeks guys!

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote by=Alex link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=319 date=1158528241]What a week! Worked every night to get the car ready to drive to castle coombe,finished friday night.Saturday morning on my way [/quote]

Saw your car at Combe on Saturday but didn't know who it belonged to, it was looking good. Hope you enjoyed the racing.

Car 17 Dolomite Sprint

Raider
Hope you are doing better with your car than we are, you said dedication I think the word to use is obsessed.

Picked up the Gasket last night, fitted head today and filled it up with water and guess what, it was still leaking :'(.  We are now going to take it back off and take a drive to the machine shop outside Oxford to see what he thinks.  I do belive that the first new Gasket is the whole cause of the problems we have had, as because it did not flatten properly, it caused us to slighlty warp both heads.

Will update later, but if it can be skimmed for tomorrow we will have another go.  We are determined to do this run, our stress levels must be very high at the moment. But we are going to sort this out.

Tina/Andrew

Just had an update from my cohort in crime, and our car is turning out to be a crime in the name of automotive unreliability.

Bloody thing broke down on the way to it's MOT, so he is sunning himself on the A414 Maldon bypass waiting for assistance to arrive in the form of the bag of tools he left behind in the hurry to get to the garage.

It does not want to do the trip clearly and is putting up the mother of all fights.

I hate 2000's I have decided ....

Colin

[quote by=AlanChatterton link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=325 date=1158589864]

.......use the Stag!!!!

[/quote]

Not really an option.  I do love the stag and drive her as much as I can. I could use the excuse that we do not have a Spare Wheel and that a few things need doing to it, but there are three of us doing the run, and there is no way Myself or Andrew would manage sitting in the back of the car for long periods of time. The sprint has more room.
We are not giving up on the sprint, the machine shop said that the head was warped and will have it ready tomorrow afternoon, also Andrew is going to phone someone tonight to see wether we can get hold of a extra thick Gasket ASAP. So the work goes on.

Tina

Martin your spinny stud on the exhuast have you enough length -o er to -to put a couple of washers on it thus the nut tightens on a diferent part of the thread? as for the missing inlet stud take heed in the fact I drove a Rover SD1 2.6 with only one stud holding the thermostat housing for 10,00miles no probs!
water pump hmm that could bite you on the arse!

Report back from yesterdays breakdown, nice new rotor arm appears to have failed. If I had seen it was a new one, I would have made sure the old one was in the glovebox.

Trailered back home and old one refitted, and it ran fine again.

Co-driver set off again this morning.

Broke down again. Same symptoms... no more spare NOS rotor arms available.

His girlfriend is being proven right in her belief that if a car doesn't have BMW or Mercedes on the back it is unreliable rubbish.

Now taking car to MOT station on a trailer!

Colin

I am very tempted to stick a mercedes badge on the back of our NOW MOT'D 2000!!!!!!

MOT guy nearly died laughing when it arrived on a trailer... but it got there....

We are going to pinch the recently reconditioned distributor from my Moss kit  car and fit that in the morning.

Also going raiding the loan 2000 for it's carbs and shock absorbers, and also a drive shaft.

Mustn't make it too immobile.

Colin

Yes, great news Colin. Another 2000 lives to fight another day. Although whether the fight is the RBRR or you personally remains to be seen.....  :)

I have my own date with the force of evil (AKA the MOT man) tomorrow afternoon. The car has stubbornly blown a side light bulb last night, and opinion at the local 2000 Register meeting last night was that my front ball-joints are, in all probability, knackered and that the play in steering rack is borderline.
Plus anything else that he takes a dislike to  :'(

So, just a potential MOT list, the rear subframe bushes, the stereo, the hazard lights and a tune-up to go!!!

Mind you, I can take some comfort from the fact I'm taking my car to the same garage that Chatterton used!!!  ;D ;D ;D

And let;s see what rude / offensive / moral high ground response he makes to that one  ::)

Thank you, I think it is a word which should be embraced more often!

Just in case anyone is in any doubt, Dave2000 (aka Dave "Dave" Marshall) and I are good friends and have been for more years than I care to remember. All insults between us on this forum are all in good jest and are, in fact, quite tame compared to the face-to-face banter we usually enjoy!

Update on the PI. Not as good as I thought! Fuel consumption is excellent (100 miles on 1/4 of a tank!) but the front o/s shock is seized solid, hence a very bumpy ride! Opps, how did that get through the MOT?!??!

Anyway, new shocks on the front on Sunday and we'll try again!

Just been over to the in-laws (or the out -laws as I call them!) Sensible people, have a 2500 Estate, an S saloon and a Stag. Took father-in-law out for a blast in the PI. He Screamed. He went quiet. He went pale. He got out. He smoked heavily (and the tyres!!) But, said "goes quite well don't it"
;D

Good luck for the MOT tomorrow Mr Marshall, we'll be praying!

Here we go again. When Gwaredd and I retorqued the head at the weekend one stud wouldnt click but we thought oh well we know it went to 50 hot so it should be ok!
Well sod it Gwaredd just called me and said its bothering him so we're going to helicoil it just to be sure more money. head gasket, oil ,antifreeze ,exhaust gasket ,rocker gasket ,oil filter.
Still   :)but peed off.Better to be safe than sorry be a shame to miss the scottish twisties. ;D

Archived