Progress on participants cars 2006

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just as well we have so many cars to choose from. The mk1 2.5 PI estate won't be ready in time although it does not have suspension. Missing engine, running gear, interior etc.... The mk2 2.5PI isn't quite up to RBRR spec so we have a selection of Acclaims to choose from. If we can find a babysitter! This is all very bad timing. And we're in the middle of moving house and solicitor complications! Knowing my luck I'll be due to move the weekend of the RBRR.

Caroline or Barry,

Can you let me have the details of your vehicle change- many thanks.

Tim

Andy,

At present the thoughts on my sticking valve problem are'nt that its a sticking valve, but that the rocker geometry is wrong- have shimed the rocker pedestals and fitted solid spacers instead of springs to the rocker shaft- fingers crossed.
Been balancing doing the work on the car with sorting out the final organisational aspects of the RBRR and other CT work. Its all go!

[quote by=Caroline link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=299 date=1158329685]...Knowing my luck I'll be due to move the weekend of the RBRR.[/quote]

I don't know, I think that's good timing! You can pack some of the fragile stuff you don't want the 'movers' to [s]throw in their van[/s] carefully place in their van, and then just drop it off at the new house on your way down to the start.  ;D

When you get back you'll have a new house to look forward to with all your stuff waiting for you... :P ;D

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=300 date=1158332856]Caroline or Barry,

Can you let me have the details of your vehicle change- many thanks.

Tim

Andy,

At present the thoughts on my sticking valve problem are'nt that its a sticking valve, but that the rocker geometry is wrong- have shimed the rocker pedestals and fitted solid spacers instead of springs to the rocker shaft- fingers crossed.
Been balancing doing the work on the car with sorting out the final organisational aspects of the RBRR and other CT work. Its all go![/quote]
Of course! I remember now my GT6 which had a tuned engine had shims on the pedestals-cant think who built the engine? Dale might remember it was 20 years ago! but we noticed them when putting her back on the road after its 10 year rest-I still have some paper work on the GT6 somewhere will have a look through it -in fact you have the article from the 80s on it it might be mentioned in there ?

Stag block came back from machine shop yesterday. Pistons should be here Monday, still no cams from TLD though? Might crack on this afternoon and put the crank back in the block, and some other odds and sods.
Have had some willing helpers (thanks Jase, Rich, Tim, etc) volunteer to help me sort out the museum for the drivers meeting a week on Tuesday. Much pushing and shoving will be required to make some space for the crews, and the tea and biscuits table!

[quote by=John_Martin link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=301 date=1158333101]
I don't know, I think that's good timing! You can pack some of the fragile stuff you don't want the 'movers' to [s]throw in their van[/s] carefully place in their van, and then just drop it off at the new house on your way down to the start.  ;D
When you get back you'll have a new house to look forward to with all your stuff waiting for you... :P ;D[/quote]
Ah, but we're only moving 2.6 miles, so the drive from Bradford to The Plough plus 2000 miles plus back up the M1 to Pudsey is perhaps a bit of an overkill. On a negative side, Barry's outside stripping "Nic" as we won't have so much car storage at the next place.

Drained and cleaned petrol tank, surprisingly clean inside. Welded in new 3/8 outlet at the base of the tank and plumbed it all back in without the helper pump. All returns (from PRV via cooling coil and from metering unit) now go straight back into the tank and don't go anwhere near the filter. All piping is 3/8 bore. All seems petrol tight and working but I only had a one gallon container to save some petrol, the rest went into the Sixfire. I've bought another can so can at least put a couple of gallons in it before filling up at a petrol station!
Changed the tacho cable too, it was knackered but still working.
Tomorrow, provided all is well again with the fuel system, it's 100 watt headlight time and an oil change.

TODAY:

Changed the engine oil & coolant
fitted new rocker cover gasket & end seals
new fuel filter
good prod around underneath to make sure nothing's about to fall off  ::)

STILL TO DO:

chase down and sort out misfire
Take the dashboard apart, change all the dead fascia bulbs and sort out all the dash rattles
rewire stereo
Buy various odds'n'ends
Anything else that occurs to me over the next couple of weeks!

Nearly ready! :D

Progress Report Car 17 Dolomite Sprint, Tina/Andrew and Jan

We were doing really well,  was just filling it up with its vital fluids, then noticed water coming out between the head and the block.  checked and re torqued the head back down, still leaking >:(. This was Thursday, so not much could be done as I was due to go to work.
Yesterday, took the head off, then removed head of old engine, which was running fine apart from abit of smoking. We put in new valve seals as the others were brittle, cleaned it up. We are now going out to refit old head, hope this solves the problem. The head that was leaking, the guy we brought it from said it was fine, we just took his word. But it did look OK.

fingers crossed

Tina/Andrew  

Jan do not worry we are getting there

Car 17 another update

We put  the other head back on, filled it up with water yet again, still leaking, so we removed the head. Checked our PAYEN head gasket with micrometer and found the thickness to be 15thou difference in places across the gasket.  Also we had checked the head and the block with a steel ruler and found them both to be flat.  So it must be a faulty gasket, so our other head must be fine.

So thanks to being a member of the Dolomite club as well, I will be able to pick up a Head Gasket this evening, then will have another go tomorrow.

Tina/Andrew

Well, at last the GT6 goes again- everything went on well. Fired her up and she ran bad, however after balancing the carbs and changing the ignition back to an ignitor electronic kit I have, she ran well.

Took her out for a 80 mile spin- few problems- blowing exhaust manifold, high idle speed. Also imperative that I change the radius arm bushes and have another go at the cockpit heat situation- like a furnace in there!!

So alll being well-the GT6 will be undertaking the RBRR.

Any news, Martin?

What a week! Worked every night to get the car ready to drive to castle coombe,finished friday night.Saturday morning on my way I got a really bad vibration and could'nt trace it so I shot round my mate Gwaredd's ,after much pulling banging and twisting we realised the air box was rubbing the dashpots.That fixed and the rear bumper started vibrating and I had a water leak from the heater return pipe. Oh well quick bodge, sorry fix and I left for coombe.
No more problems yesterday so today I spent the day doing a few silly jobs.New door locks fitted so the doors dont lock every time you shut them, throttle cable swapped,fitted my passenger reclining seat and repacked the head restraint.Tidied up some wireing and fixed passenger parcel shelf.Gwaredd came over and we retorqued the head reset the tappets and fitted the hardtop.Also had to trim down the air box as it just touched the inner arch.List appears to be getting shorter but I'm sure I'll suddenly remember something else I've been putting off. ::)

No 80 Vitesse going well ,  back end back together and sitting nice and low, Spax shocks feel prety good too,old stock kipping heavy duty swing spring on an inch lowering block..fantastic. ;)
Engine and gearbox on monday the old 1600 lump is about shafted so going to use the race engine from my GT6 , Should be fun !!  ;D
Then all thats left is some more polishing and the front suspension.

Tanks welding went so well I thought I'd fix the headlight relays and more powerful bulbs - I;ve mocked it up and it's working but what a chore to get to it all. A lifetime of sticky tape and additional wires to the loom makes it a messy job and it's not that easy to get to but I'm half way there - that means the wires are hanging out the front like the guts of a phone junction box!
I'll get there in the end and with my new lights, I'll be able to clearly see what I hit when I do :-)

Archived