Progress on participants cars 2006

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote by=darrenspitty link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=202 date=1157235464]Dear Guys

I am all disapointed now . I only bought my shed of a dolly to do the RBRR and now I can see that I should have saved a shed load of dosh and left it as discovered ....  I could have walked away with the coveted shed award but I just had to tinker a bit .... apart from the fred flintstone rear inner arches and clapped out lump which had to be done of course but there was a little bit of rust here and while I am a it ,it won't take a minute to... well you now how it goes.

Darren and Ben[/quote]

Any chance of a pic of the "dolly shed" to put on www.shedtune.co.uk

And as for the shed of the run award..theres only one true shed its got a 10cr under its belt!

Managed to spend a day on 'Gertie' the shed yesterday.

Fixed windscreen washers, had a healthy lunch, took totally bald crossply out of boot as a aide-memoire to find something better, suffered total brake failure when master cylinder seals disintrigated. Oh, well, best it happened now.......

Also got it running on six rather then 3, found some more welding to do and failed to fix Overdrive.

Colin

Another day of slog on 'the steed'.

Super-mega-weld-a-thon that turned out to be. Still a few holes to patch on the passenger side, we dare not look at at the drivers side  :-(

And to think this car was MOT'd a year ago....

Brakes fully resealed, but did manage to loose the master cylinder circlip over my shoulder when I shut my eyes to prevent the fountain of brake fluid going in them as it sprang apart.

If anyone is thinking of getting their drive gravelled, don't OK, just don't.

Colin

Mayday, mayday Car 78 has suffered a major set back which means it may not even make it to the drivers meeting at the Plough. Kevin has inadvertantly driven it and depleated its resource of petrol - he has a plan though and will endeavour to replenish stocks at a suitable outlet. The search to find anything wrong with it continues......

[quote by=Vinnyfastcar link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=212 date=1157578933]...Kevin has inadvertantly driven it and depleated its resource of style...[/quote]

Now come on Vinny! thats unfair! ;D

[of course you'll probably have the last laugh when you end up whizzing past me and james, broken down in the highlands!]

Hooray! I've finally managed to find a spare hour or so to do the promised bodge of painting over the large rusty patches on my car! :P

It now has dodgy looking patches of white rather than dodgy looking patches of rust! ;D

Just the suspension and other sundry bits to fit next week and I do believe I'll be ready...

...famous last words! :P

Car 57 - BRP 285S is now out of the event :'(

It started losing oil in a big way last weekend after the BCC Autotest.

Diagnosis of the engine problem down at S&S this morning is at least one oil ring gone on a piston. As a result the engine is pressurising and blowing oil up the dipstick tube.

Now, with less than 4 weeks to the Round Britain and me having no intention of spending money on this engine I have a problem with my Round Britain Run entry.

Various options are under consideration - the only one ruled out is not taking part!

Front runner amongst possible solutions at the moment is borrowing another Triumph. :-/

Well, I have a Sprint engine bought off e-bay supposedly good but I have never heard it run ::)

I got the spare TR7 a few months ago already with a Sprint conversion but I would have to get it running :o and it has no brakes at all at the moment - it would need rear wheel cylinders, shoes etc and new discs/pads/probably calipers at the front :-/  Followed by an MOT hopefully if it's all OK.  I don't think that's an option.

The Vitesse has some corrosion issues which would need fixing, it hasn't been on the road for 3 years, it's gearbox is a bit marginal and the engine has done over 100K miles with a low compression on one cylinder ::)

Of that lot swapping the Sprint engine into BRP would probably be the most likely option but whilst it's out I would really like to do work on the engine bay and do a proper job.

I think borrowing a car  is the way forward

If you are stuck for a car, take a look here  - http://motors.listings.ebay.co.uk/Classic-Cars_Triumph_W0QQfromZR0QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQsacatZ29760QQsocmdZListingItemList

For an "off the shelf solution" - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1982-Triumph-Acclaim-HL-13-months-MOT_W0QQitemZ170025639329QQihZ007QQcategoryZ29760QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is not what you call "progression" :-/

Think it's best to find another cheap car to do the run, instead of doing a last minute engineswap. Too many things can go wrong... esp with a unknown engine!

Anyway, good luck! I'm sure you manage to find a way for doing the RBRR.

Archived