Progress on participants cars 2006

Quote:
Alex, Put simply, you were sold tatt I guess, hense the decent old quality nut and stud worked and the new didn't!  I was made aware of this stripping issue a while back by my mate who also likes a torque increase over book figure, your better off buying some studs from Moss (oddly they have a decent ones) or using old ones....

To be fair mate, that's a bit harsh, but then you aren't aware of all the facts.

Last weekend, whenwe went to re-torque the studs after 100 miles, they all torqued up fine except number 2, and I naturally assumed that the block, at some point, had be butchered in the past & the threads had gone, as per stud No. 10 earlier. Either way, way had to re-do the HG.

After putting a helicoil in No. 2 & re-doing the HG, we torqued up the head to 48 ft/lb & No.2 started to strip again. Balls! I whiped the stud out & found that the nut had stripped, not the helicoil or stud, so I whacked in another stud & nut & re-torqued & this time it was fine.

Then, we ran it up dry for a minute & re-torqued & No.2 nut stripped again. In desparation we threw in an old stud & nut & re-torqued again & this time it was fine. Bizzar I think you'll agree, as there is no way that we could have used three rogue, or 'tat' nuts on No. 2 stud, even after helicoiling, as every other 'tat' nut tightened down perfectly. My only thought is that something is not sitting quite level around that area. Hmmm...

Anyway, it all seems to be holding together fine now & running well. Best of luck to the rest of you that are actually taking part.

Cheers,

Gwaredd.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another big day- sorted out blow from exhaus/Inlet manifold- have slung the old studs and brass nuts and gone for cap headed bolts- so much easier.

Fitted new driver door hinges, attempted to re-fit the exhaust (Must have smacked it somewhere- its battered), bleed the brakes etc.

Still to fit spots, do some more mileage, sort tools and spares, get rear wheels aligned, fluid level check, oh yeah and clean and polish the car!

Car 78 now has some extra lights. Fogs and Spots wired in this afternoon, with relays to interlock them with dipped and main beam respectively.
Hands free kit for the phone also installed, and the GPS for the moving map display hooked up and tested.
All thats left to do is fit the CD multiplayer and FM radio so there is something better than the AM/LW radio cassette that came as standard in the car.

well this weekend has seen some more work done, what a nightmare the exhaust system was, -phoenix make a lovely looking system, but wouldnt  it be nice if it fitted!!  we had to cut and weld the manifold, and then bend the y piece, but its perfect now, thank you roger at monkfish performance for that!! roger also set up the suspension for me, we acheived a sensible amount of negative camber on the front, and increased the castor angles to improve ithe spits self centring. it handles like it's on rails now! the fuel spraying problem is still a concern, new needle valves and seats are now installed, but a pressure regulator is next on the list just to make sure.

So, just got back from the 160 mile test thrash.

One word.......................AWESOME!

25.7 mpg average. Back lanes thrash going there, motorway stomp at higher than legal speeds (officer!) on the way back. Sam has passed the seats as "acceptable" by falling asleep for most of the way back!

I love this beastie!

Couple of things to adjust, including fitting a new fuel tank sender unit and changing the speedo (overreading by soooooooo much!)

Anyhoo, see all you Midlanders at the Drivers meeting on Tuesday!

The Bus is now wearing new engine mounts, an anti-roll bar and a huge Pacet fan complete with controller. I was going to change the rear springs yesterday as well, but ran out of time (not to mention forgetting what I need to do) ::)

Still got a few jobs to finish, but all appears to be on track... ;)

[quote by=Raider link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=440 date=1159171978]

Don't know about that but to revive an idea of Rumpith and mine - you could wire some tins of Heinz Ravioli etc to the exhaust manifold and then eat at the next halt.

From Car 57  ;D[/quote]

Damn... Our backup plan has been foiled.

We were going to wrap spuds in tin foil and strap to exhaust, so as a said, totally foiled!

:-)

Colin

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=419 date=1159082999]Do not owrry about Jan, we can sort him out- probably ask a few of the Big saloon drivers to have him as a passenger for stints- might be fun for Jan.[/quote]

That sounds like fun. I'm planning to write about the event in the Swedish club magazine, so it would be fun to go in more then one car and get a chance to talk to more people.

Still, plan A is to go with Andy and Tina, we're a team now even if we've never actually met. I hope that they'll sort the problems out. It feels awful to be so far away, there's not much I can do to help!

/Jan

If anyone else is tempted.....

Ebay Item number: 330031376365

Just make sure you fit a bigger Alternator, and don't get too hungry on the way round!!!

Thinks........ Could setup 2 in the back of the car, and do a mobile burger service out the back window for our fellow travellers! I reckon there could be a market for hot food without stopping......

:-)

Colin

Archived