Well every time I use the Toledo I find another job that needs doing.  The last remaining challenges for this week are new rack bushes, a whole set of new tyres as the old ones screeched at every opportunity, even in a straight line, wheel alignment, some wiring to the supplementary fuse box and another oil and filter change. That'll be it I hope!!!

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking of Toledo's.....discovered mine has never had its front bumper correctly attached. It probably still isn't, but certainly 100% better than it was. Spotlamps now stable. Next, front valance was a bit floppy, so some stabaliser bars made and attached. Driving lamps now stable too. Headlights adjusted, and much better.

Discovered the water hoses had all relaxed, so tightened up all hose clips. Then the PITA. The oil filter housing was dribbling out the fresh Millers CSS. Ouch. New filter, and more importantly the rubber O ring (this is a replaceable paper element as it is a slant engine) should be here tomorrow.
Stickers stuck to magnetic backing and attached.

Getting there!

Took the 1500 tc for the MOT today..... straight through with no advisories 🙂 , went to a local car meet in it tonight and when i got home i had a quick look under the bonnet to find the master cylinder weeping at the base of the reservoir   ordered a recon one so one last biggish job to do before friday.

Team 142 - the Flutterts

One hour ago the yellow 2000 Mk2 passed its inspection (bi-yearly here). Hurray! Last inspection was before 2006.
Another handbrake cable was needed, the old one could not be adjusted anymore because the adjustment nut had rusted solid onto the thread and then the threaded section snapped.
One headlamp needed slight adjustment and a rear wheel cylinder needed fresh rubber. Not bad for 10+ years in a shed.

Of course more work was done: new water hoses, contact points, distri cap and rotor, plugs and spark plugs cables. Fixed the headlamps, opened up and repaired the windscreen washer pump, new washer hoses. Checked wheel bearings and brakes.

Still to do:
* analyse why there is a hesitation when picking up speed and at higher revs (fuel pump not delivering enough?)
* fix the heater (does not work at the moment). The cable cold/hot seems disengaged.

And if there is still time:
* fix the fuel gauge
* fix the non-functioning overdrive (it is not the gearstick switch, this has been taken apart and now works)
* fix the speedo

Tomorrow we will work on the car, then leave home @ 6.30 pm to go to the overnight ferry Hoek van Holland - Harwich.

Team 74,Putting the insurance issues to one side the car is just about ready, got to change the auto gearbox oil, fit new brake pads, fit parcel shelf and a few other little bits to sort then gather up the tools / spares we are taking and sticker it up.

Success - we found out most of the engine adjustments were far off. Valve adjustments: nearly all valves were way out of range. Static timing was TDC instead of 8 degrees BTDC. Now the car runs much better. Looked with two coloutune spark plugs and the rear carburettor (Stromberg CDS) runs a little rich. My Stromberg Allen tool does not work for this carb. So have to leave the adjustment as is.
On the road we got a GPS measured top speed of 135 km/h (84 mph). That is a figure I can live with, now have much more confidence in the trip.

The heater valve seems stuck. Turning it does not have an effect, both inlet and outlet pipes remain too cold meaning no water is flowing through them.

Team 17 now has a working starter motor again (thanks, Jon) and the supplier of the failed one are sending a replacement which I will carry as a spare, assuming it arrives tomorrow morning as promised!
Meanwhile, I've leaned off the carbs a bit more as it was definitely a tad rich, and adjusted the tappets and bonnet cones, which might even help with a couple of the long-standing annoying noises.

We've had some issues too including two of the rocker adjusting screws clattering the rocker cover - which was also leaking oil at a horrendous pace. My 540 died the other day (broken ignition barrel) so I turned up at the local BMW dealer and parked next to a load of new BMWs with smoke pouring out of the bonnet haha.

New rocker gasket fixed both of these issues - obviously it sealed the cover again, but the old one was so compressed that the cover was sitting really low. New gasket holds it clear. New set of points fitted too, and a bit more carb tweaking from Karl saw it all running much better. So, I think we're good to go now!

Rob, glad the starter was of use, even with those slightly chewed teeth on it!

• 2 weeks later...

The gearbox on the Flying Log has got a bit noisier since the run. It's always been a bit whiney in all but top gear, and especially in 3rd when coming off power to the overun.

But now it's also pretty noisy in neutral at tickover which it wasn't before. Mainshaft and Layshaft bearings are probably excessively worn.

It's working OK in terms of changing gear etc but I think it will need a gearbox rebuild in the reasonably near future.

I'm going to try and see if an oil change for some good quality fresh Castrol EP90 makes any difference. Not expecting this to fix it but it may reduce the noise and make it last a little longer.

It probably wasn't helped by the previous owner who had the crazy notion that a mixture of 20/50 and EP gearbox oil was better than EP oil for overdrive cars. At least he told me he had done this and I drained a refilled with EP780/90 as soon as I got it home, but that was 7,000 miles ago including 2 RBRRs.

Quoted from cook1e
The gearbox on the Flying Log has got a bit noisier since the run. It's always been a bit whiney in all but top gear, and especially in 3rd when coming off power to the overun.

But now it's also pretty noisy in neutral at tickover which it wasn't before. Mainshaft and Layshaft bearings are probably excessively worn.

Prime suspects would be the input shaft bearing and possibly the laygear rollers.  The 4 cylinder cars don't seem to kill the laygear quite so much though.  Can be bad news as if the case hardening inside the laygear cluster is damaged the repair gets alot more involved.

Might be worth investigating sooner rather than later - had a sudden increase in noise in my Herald gearbox (1500 Dolly OD box) which turned out to be that the cage on the input shaft bearing had split so 5 out of 6 balls were gathered on one side leaving the 6th taking alot of load - and looking like a partly peeled onion.  Had it failed, the gearbox would have been scrap whereas I got away with a new bearing only (and a days hard labour!)

Nick