• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from timbancroft61
After reading about Steve Radley's clutch exploits and having exactly the same problem, my Saloon is now up in the air and I will have the gearbox out of her later tonight.

The 'tinkling' noise (sames as Steve's)I have been hearing from my car sounds like something is rattling, but I have been underneath with the engine running and cannot find anything. So yesterday, bearing in mind my 2014 RBRR retirement, I have decided to pull the gearbox out and investigate the clutch. I have this awful fear of the car letting me down somewhere near JOG and having to endure a 30 hour AA relay ride home-not good (As well as some serious mickey taking from CT friends). So for the sake of some spannering, I have decided to take this drastic action.

Bloody old cars!

Hi Tim,

Let me know the result of your findings 🙂 S.

Blimey. nothing wrong at all with the Powertune clutch plate, so its back on the car, now just got to lob the gearbox back in...why is it when you rush they never go back in easily!!!

When a gearbox goes back in, its like scoring a goal, its a great feeling!

So pleased I checked though....would hate to fail again....that would be it, new organiser needed for the RBRR!

Mr Weaver,

Revenge is best served cold.......!

"Just Lob the gearbox back in"  Blimey Mr B..... the damn things never go on without a fight in my experience. You are right though, it is like scoring a goal when it finally goes all the way on.

Mr Weaver has had his share of disappointments........

and Mr Helm will tell you to carry a spare clutch plate as it is a roadside repair.......... apparently......  I do generally carry one myself though I'm always very pleased when I get home without needing it!  I have a clutch plate in a box that has done 4 x 10CRs - which is more than the one on the flywheel!

Nick

Nick, got mine up into position last night, could not get it go in all the way (!). So its out again and another attempt tonight before daylight fades!!

BTW I have copied Mr Papworth's gearbox cradle, a piece if 4 x 2 with two brake linings screwed onto it, this being wired onto the trolley jack, it works!!!!

Got to say I rather put gearboxes into small chassis'd Triumph cars, seems so easy in comparison to grovelling around on the floor under a saloon-pah!

Changed the steering column bushes and lower bearing on the Stag. That annoying movement at the steering wheel has now gone. As a plus Emily replaced some of the perished stitching on the steering wheel at the same time.

Fitted U/J's to the overhauled 180B driveshafts and now swapped out the driveshafts on the car for Datsun ones with overhauled hubs as well!

Moving on to some electrical jobs now.

Quoted from timbancroft61
Gearbox back in.

Now just a few small jobs to do:
1. Tune the engine
2. Wash the car

Blimey!

Yep, my gearbox is back in too now. Just a strut top to be replaced and a new fan belt to be fitted. I may even relocate the battery to the boot yet to create more space in the engine bay.

Re-wired tge radio. Might have got the trickle feed on the wrong side so will sort that later. At least now four out of five speakers work.

All greased and lubed. Think my propshaft may be a straw as the non-leaking gearbox was low and the drippy diff was over-full.

Secondary silencer now plumbed in a bit better. Deffo need to change both fuel filters as I can hear the pump now.

Re cored radiator, new thermostat and coolant were fitted this morning, engine running mush cooler now, gauge used to climb more than I was happy with up hills. This afternoon has been taken up with fitting spot lamps and a 12 volt socket in the boot to power my cool bag and new spark plugs and leads. Off to a car show in her next Sunday at Tilford Rural life centre to see if the run over there shows up any niggles. As for other jobs I need to do, just another engine and gearbox oil change left before the run and may fit a CD player temporarily for the run.

Finally got around to replacing all the 2.2W screw fitting panel light bulbs with appropriate LED alternatives. The six that are permanently lit at night will save me 1 amp, useful when you are still running with a dynamo. Another motivation was to render the instruments easier to read in the hours of darkness. I prefer the whiter light of the LEDS. Whilst the lights are brighter they are not intrusive or distracting. However, there is one downside, the brighter bulbs produce images in the windscreen from the speedo, tacho and ammeter. these are a bit like an unwanted heads-up display and definitely distracting. I solved this with a piece of fabric- backed grained PVC leather cloth held in place by insulating tape on the demister outlet. Looks a bit odd but does the job and is easily removed when not required. I didn't want untidy insulating tape on the chromed instrument bezels
LED bulbs were amazingly cheap (from PRC of course) and perhaps unsurprisingly not well made. Fitting one I found that the glass envelope came detached from the body when I screwed it in place so I used Araldite on the others to avoid this problem.
Have adjusted headlights to give maximum possible reach along the near side, must be fine since no oncoming driver has flashed me at night since the adjustment. All set now for two comfortable long night drives.

Tim  

Eventually got the distributor in the TR today, fired up just about straight away which was a relief. Slight adjustment and it was ticking over enough to get the timing light on and set it a bit better.
Even washed it, MOT, oil change and fluid checks on Saturday as I'll try and blah the use of some lifts at the MOT garage.
Also thinking might put some new tyres on, tread is like new but there of them have been completely flat for nearly a year. So thinking the side walls will probably be damaged

Not much to do on team 132's steed, full service last weekend, new springs (slightly stiffer) going on this week, and a set of shiny wheels and new tyres (once we've decided what will actually fit). Also got a rolling road session booked as it's not quite bob on, the mechanical advance being the main suspect (but it'd be good to have the carbs set right too). Other than that we mostly need to get some miles on the thing- it's been sat in a barn for about 4 months while it's owner moved house... I see a couple of day trips coming up.