• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots now! Gearbox is now out because of an incompetent clutch. Driver side strut top appears to have collapsed, heater hose burst on the way home from the CT meet the other night and the tappets need doing.

Gertie seems to have adopted the Pi's mindset of: If you fix one job on me, I will give you four more! 🙁

Don't even ask what needs doing to our entry......
Soft top needs fitting, front end needs stripping as vertical links need inspecting and new wheel bearings minimum..... Halogen headlights and relays need fitting, few wiring issues....
Hole in floorpan very near accelerator ... Seats need mounts sorting and fitting.
Head needs retorquing and oil change and anti freeze....gearbox oil level and diff level......
Think that's it...........

Quoted from thescrapman

.................Everything except what you actually need to fix the car...

I have never taken any spares with me whenever 'Poo' has been on any event, nor tools...................hope this isn't going to be a bad omen  
Don't worry folks, 'Poo' will be doing the 3 Counties this weekend as a pre run 😉 May even pop into TRGB for their hog roast (on the way to the hotel so not up too early on Sunday) and to show these TR drivers a TR in full dress 😀

On the way to the 'Hull & East Yorks' meet last night the intermittant problem with my left side indicators became permanent.
It appears that after the rebuild of 'Libby' our RMB Gentry i had nicked one of the wires when putting them under the protective clamp on top of the column.
Over the past 18 months usage vibration had caused chaffing and finally last night the last of the copper wire strands gave up.
So on my return home i removed the stalk mechanism then stripped and soldered it this morning.
Actually works a lot better now and i am well chuffed as not really soldered before.
Thanks to Julian who suggested that i might try and repair the offending stalk mechanism.

Quoted from aleksandar
Over the past 18 months usage vibration had caused chaffing and finally last night the last of the copper wire strands gave up.

That was what caused the first of Tessa's overdrive failures - the PO had caught the wires under the edge of the channel under the column.

After reading about Steve Radley's clutch exploits and having exactly the same problem, my Saloon is now up in the air and I will have the gearbox out of her later tonight.

The 'tinkling' noise (sames as Steve's)I have been hearing from my car sounds like something is rattling, but I have been underneath with the engine running and cannot find anything. So yesterday, bearing in mind my 2014 RBRR retirement, I have decided to pull the gearbox out and investigate the clutch. I have this awful fear of the car letting me down somewhere near JOG and having to endure a 30 hour AA relay ride home-not good (As well as some serious mickey taking from CT friends). So for the sake of some spannering, I have decided to take this drastic action.

Bloody old cars!

Tonight I'm hopefully going to start work on the TR, battery to go on charge tyres to blow up, might even get the distributor fitted. Sunday will be the main day for getting it going and checking over ready for MOT the week after.

Why do we always leave things until the last few weeks...........

Anything cheap and suitable on ebay at the moment..........................just in case 😎

Quoted from timbancroft61
After reading about Steve Radley's clutch exploits and having exactly the same problem, my Saloon is now up in the air and I will have the gearbox out of her later tonight.

The 'tinkling' noise (sames as Steve's)I have been hearing from my car sounds like something is rattling, but I have been underneath with the engine running and cannot find anything. So yesterday, bearing in mind my 2014 RBRR retirement, I have decided to pull the gearbox out and investigate the clutch. I have this awful fear of the car letting me down somewhere near JOG and having to endure a 30 hour AA relay ride home-not good (As well as some serious mickey taking from CT friends). So for the sake of some spannering, I have decided to take this drastic action.

Bloody old cars!

When I got recovered from JOG on the 2010 RBRR the AA arranged through Peter James Insurance recovery service did at least put us up overnight halfway in a Travelodge, bad thing was we arrived after pub closing time so too late to get a beer anywhere! It was still only about a 30 hour trip though including some shuiteye in the Hotel

Bloody old cars!

Bit worried that I have one of the Witor specials too in my 2000 although it's done 35k miles and plenty of abuse - maybe it's 2.5's that break them?. I'm due to take mine to Adelaide in convoy with two other big saloon almost straight after RBRR for the TSOA nationals in SA. Mine has no noise symptoms and apart from some judder when hot seems OK - better take a spare plate just in case. Add that to the diff, driveshaft etc etc.. Well there is a race meet there that we are all doing so we're bound to bust something

Well, I know someone who was a friend......As for Mr Weaver, well.........

My Xmas card list gets shorter and shorter!

I see from the spares list that you are taking a rocker shaft and rockers with you this year .......... 😎