Pre-proving run to Ace cafe Hendon in Stag ok
Proving run to Le Mans in Stag ok
Post proving run to Winchester ok

Need to sort steering column bearing for MOT
Would like to swap to Datsun driveshafts, fit relays on headlights and fit the rectangular Lucas fog lights before October.

WAM looking good for 2016 😎

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chaged the rear tie bar bushes in the Toledo yesterday. Needs a few tweeks as I was struggling to get all the washers back on with the new bushes, but the clonk on pulling away has gone. Also fitted some dolomite rear springs, sits the car a tad higher at he back and a bit firmer too. Both good things!
(Also refitted the towbar so I can start shifting tat out of the garden with the trailer)

Next week, faff with those bushes again, and get all the washers in the correct way round (it seems they are counter-intuitive, and previously fitted wrong) and swap the front springs. Plus take out the parcel tray and fix the heater which seems to be jammed by the tray , maybe reversing lamp and fog light too.

Quoted from timbancroft61
Good to see that so many of the cars are coming together, once again the RBRR will be graced by some interesting Triumph cars.

At present, we have 150no cars on the event, by far the largest amount that has started the event-blimey!

Amazed to see that Dave Kent is getting his Toledo ready......normally he makes me nervous by leaving it until the eve of the RBRR to start on the car. Sad to see BOK in the pics, looking forlorn.

(By the way, Dave, the window winders were in for last years 10CR)!

My prep work will consist of changing the prop and re-building the driveshafts, not sure when this will happen though!

Tim , BOK is still the car of choice for the RBRR, but it needs a lot of TLC so the Toledo "back up" has to be prepared first!! Does that actually make any sense?????
I got a feeling we'll be in the Tolly!!

Team 47. We have acted on the advice given by Mr Barker at the TR international weekend.
The main under car fuel pipe has been changed to a 1/4" pipe.
A bracket/clamp has been made to which the pump has been attached thus allowing resighting to the chassis inboard of the nearside rear wheel for easy access.
The fuel filter has also been resighted to the rear of the car between the tank and pump.
The reason being that the engine bay on our RMB Gentry is not very big and in very hot weather we have always suffered fuel evaporation.
Took our Gentry out for a test drive on scorching saturday all now sorted.
thank you Mr Barker.

Quoted from Richard B
, fit relays on headlights and fit the rectangular Lucas fog lights before October

I've just finished making the brackets for my Lucas fog lights, and nearly finished the bracket for the Cibié Oscar spotlights. Relay panel going in the week after I get back from holiday.

The Flying Log now has an MOT ready for the RBRR.

It failed a few weeks back on in-balanced brakes and some corrosion around the front subframe rear mounts on the pseudo chassis legs.

It had a new front caliper on one side before the RBRR last time, so I rebuilt the other one with a new seal and replaced the pads with a new set of green stuff. I also replaced the rear shoes and mucked about with the rear adjusters.

Got the chassis legs repaired which ended up a bigger job than anticipated as the body above the legs was also rusted through.

The MOT place also had a look at the rear brakes as they were still not up to scratch. Turned out that the adjuster wheels were on the wrong sides, ie left adjuster in the right drum and vice versa. I've only ever stripped down one rear brake at a time so the previous owner must have swapped them. This meant that operating the handbrake was slackening rather than tightening the rear brakes! I'd just assumed that the auto adjusters weren't working as they are a crap design!

Anyway that's all done now.

Jobs to do apart from giving it a darn good service and tune up.

1. Change both front wheel bearings
2, Sort out one of the inner tie rod ball joints on the steering rack as it has play but not enough to fail the MOT.
3.  Make up a skid plate to go around the rear exhaust box.  Last time on the RBRR the exhaust box was grounding out on the rough roads in the wilds of Scotland. The rear box hangs pretty low on a 1500 (or 1850) Dolomite and with a boot full of spares and 3 largish blokes on board the car was sitting low. Idea is to make a skid plate "sacrificial" wrap to go under the rear box so that it takes the brunt of the scraping rather then the box otherwise it may well wear through!
4. Try and sort out the fuel gauge which gets stuck at just under half full, it's not the gauge or sender as I've changed both (in fact I've tried 3 different senders). It's not the voltage stabilizer as that's kicking out 10v max as it should. Must be something wrong with the tank. It went wrong on the last RBRR after about 1700 miles and we ran out of fuel, don't know how a tank can just go suddenly wrong! Wgen it runs out of fuel there appears to be at least a couple of Gallons left so it's like the pickup in the tank is sitting too high.

I can see some late nights during the coming weeks coming up as I'm doing something every weekend up to the event........... apart from the sunday of the drivers briefing weekend

waiting for the distributor to come back, once that's fitted I'll hopefully get the front suspension sorted with new inserts and new springs

Just waiting for something else to kick us in the backside........
Rbrr vitesse is running again!
Head gasket went,head skimmed and also needed new valves. New gasket fitted then found the heater system full of gooey antifreeze.......new heater valve fitted.....rear Union on inlet manifold corroded so badly on one pipe Nick decided to buy a new one, unbolting it the banjo bolt snapped fortunately a quick chat on the phone with Richard Brake and I knew how to try and get the snapped bit out( pushed a bolt into the hole and welded it all the way round, then simply unbolted it)......Nick ordered a new one......today the next door neighboured fell off his ladder and landed on Nicks vitesse cracking paint on the rear wing.
I went round after work today to see the damage and the new parts had arrived......so all fitted and run up to temperature. All seems good as couldn't do this before, mot booked for Saturday so fingers crossed we are getting somewhere with it now.......unfortunately life keeps getting in the way so progress hasn't been as fast as ideal.
We still need to fit a softtop just in case... Check diff and gearbox levels, grease rear trunnions, strip front links and hubs oh and the radiator overflow bottle needs locating somewhere does anyone have a picture of where it goes?

Then we need to get some miles on it and retourqued the head!

Team 17's officially entered car still needs: painting, wiring harness, door locks, windows, boot hinges, dashboard, steering column, seats, handbrake, carburettors, lights... then the engine's first run in twenty years, MOT, tax, a bit of a shakedown...

OK, so team 17's reserve car... needs the fuel flooding issue sorted out, new battery, probably new headlights (the reflectors have seen better days) and ideally a fresh MOT (due mid-October but better to sort in advance).

Hopefully the second reserve needs nothing...

Quoted from RobPearce
Team 17's officially entered car still needs: painting, wiring harness, door locks, windows, boot hinges, dashboard, steering column, seats, handbrake, carburettors, lights... then the engine's first run in twenty years, MOT, tax, a bit of a shakedown...

OK, so team 17's reserve car... needs the fuel flooding issue sorted out, new battery, probably new headlights (the reflectors have seen better days) and ideally a fresh MOT (due mid-October but better to sort in advance).

Hopefully the second reserve needs nothing...

Sounds like our entry car, but we do have the toledo as back up.

Toledo failed its MoT. But only on the horn. And that is because I moved the horn when I fitted a remote servo, and never go round to extending the wiring by the 4"... anyway, all done ready for retest. A few advisories, same stuff as every year......

Onto more useful stuff. A pair of speakers have been fitted to the front doors, and a new stereo bought to provide something to play some muzak on. Just needs screwing into position and connections made. Also wondering about an air freshener, and stopping the exhaust banging when accelerating from standstill.....