• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update on my beige beauty number 2. So the fabulous guys at Chipsaway Crawley have now finished the rust repairs and a few more that were discovered along the way . Started to prep for paint and sprayed a few test area's but were unhappy with the match even with a few shade changes from the supplier. The upshot is now the car is fully stripped and going into the booth for a full repaint tomorrow! Full on weekend for me now refitting all the doors, bonnet, bootlid and repainting the now scruffy looking wheels. Will be looking amazing and back on the road hopefully by September 1st. Just the rear brakes to replace and get the radiator re cored.

Stag WAM entry 95

Fitted Pertonix electronic ignition (& coil) on Saturday, high end misfire now seems to have cleared.

Building up Datsun 180B driveshafts on Sunday, I assembled the hubs last year, but then got distracted with other things. I stripped one of the shafts down as the movement was feeling 'rough & the DPO had assembled the two parts of the shaft 45 degrees out, so the U/J's were not aligned. Maybe that was deliberate and for a good reason, but all the other halfshafts I possess have the U/J's aligned.

Cleaned out the grease and some rust that had crept in from the small diameter end of the shaft. Some of the ball bearings had lost their shine (chrome plating) so I've ordered new ones prior to reassembly. No damage was apparent to the bearing grooves, The ball bearings are 7/16" diameter, there I was expecting them to be metric not imperial, to match the metric U/J's that the Datsuns take.

Now that I've figured out how to strip one down, I  will probably do the same to the other one just to replace the 30+ year old grease. There is no grease nipple fitted to these shafts, maybe a project for another day?

Timing belt kit
Water pump
Red polybush suspension set
Some extra polybushes
Wheel bearings
Front and rear trunnion sets
Stainless steel flexible exhaust pipe

Has all arrived now so I didn't go into work. Will hopefully get it all done today or at least everything in the engine bay ready for this weekend.

Rebuilt the calipers and put new brake fluid in today. Found the rear offside wheel was solid so took that apart and cleaned and greased the adjuster which was stuck solid  and slave which was not sliding.
Just got to change the oil and filter and put a few miles on it to make sure it's all OK.

She survived the hill climb yesterday, but the clutch didn't like the starts. Managed to get the tyres to squeak on the third run then quit whilst I was ahead.

Next shake-down starts in an hour. My co-driver and me are off on a 240 mile jaunt to Portsmouth and back with a few others.

I'll do the polybushes later...

Fitted a new steering rack and starter motor to the Sprint, my two favourite jobs at once 😉

Tracking to be checked/adjusted tomorrow.

Next up is an oil change, new distributor and full tune-up then got to re-seal the windscreen. Oh, and get some miles under the tyres again 😀

Oh well, no tracking today. car simply refused to start. Spun the engine a treat but no sign of a spark so gave up and went to work in the modern. Came home tonight and it started first time. Lovely, electrical problems my absolute favourite. Car is now sulking under a cover in the yard where it will now stay until next week. Too much else on.

Team Broom is a bit disappointed.... we failed to get the Vitesse Ready for the trip, the engine is still at the workshop and bar a small miracle it will not be in the car before start off.
My trusted Co-driver had a knee operation 2 days ago and had to pull out of the event, let alone be able to work on the car...
That left us in a dilemma as what to do, only one solution really, dusting off the Renown and roping Hans in to drive this year again with me.
There are a few things to finish off on the Renown, things that have not been touched since last trip! wiring for the indicators down the steering column as an example and finally change the leaking fuel filler hose.

We have an updated advance curve for the 123 ignition now that will guarantee us more MPG and no flat (smokey) spots on acceleration. Now that the decision is taken I actually look forward to do it again in the Renown, there is always next edition for the Vitesse....

Still hoping that Shaun will recover quickly and change his mind, more fun with 3 in the car...

Dirk

Quoted from Ridgetone Triumph
Well, so close to being ready and yet so far.................Need 2 new rear tyres, oil change and filter, and looks like I will have to swap the front passenger seat to accommodate a rear seat passenger. Just looked and the BMW seats have 2 inches spare for back seat persons legs to squeeze in    

Rear seat passenger will be sleeping so leg room not essential...