• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from thescrapman

You worn them out already??? Try driving round corners a bit slower...

Wimp! I managed to lift it

'Poo' is super quick and a real tyre burner  

Ha! I thought the box was heavy, until Mark handed it to me 😀

Things done so far.
New UJ's
Replacement prop yoke
2 new tyres
New quill shaft bearing
Gearbox change (that was a waste of time, nothing wrong with the old box)
New second gearbox mount
New exhaust mounts
Modified muffler
Cherry car air freshener 😀
New engine oil and filter
New gearbox oil
New diff oil
Rerouted main battery cable to stop banging on the steering knuckle. (waste of time still hits the knuckle) (dizzy)
Changed speedo drive
Fitted new Kenlow fan switch

So I've spent some time since the Drivers meet trying to sort out my leaky exhaust manifold on the Flying Log. There was a leak from the flange to downpipe gasket. On Sunday the joint was stubborn and didn't want to come apart, ended up with a bit of 3x2 Timber and a lump hammer, eventually it came apart but only after I had slipped with the wood and broke the jet on the rear carb. So gasket was replaced but I had to wait for a new jet to arrive. Jet was replaced tonight, carbs put back on the car and I started it. Only to find I had a second leak on the manifold to head gasket! So the carbs came off again, luckily I had a gasket in my RBRR spares. Leak had been caused as the eared blocks that hold the inlet and exhaust under the manifolds were out of alignment and only just securing the exhaust manifold. This allowed the centre two ports to leak. Anyway carbs are now back on, the car has been run around the block and is now leak free. Rather have this hassle now than on the run TBH.

After managing to solve my apparent electrical problems I've spent the last few nights tuning the engine then driving the car. There's something wrong. I can't get the engine to tick over smoothly. As far as I can tell I've set it slightly rich at tick over (~4.5% CO) which generally smooths things out but examining the (new) plugs after a drive, they are white meaning lean (way too lean !). Apart from the plugs the only other new component is the distributor. Could this be the cause ? I'll be swapping it out later for an oldy but goody. My only other thoughts are air/vacuum leak ... Anyone ?

Went to continue my investigations this morning and accidentally turned the ignition on when releasing the steering lock. As I turned it off I heard a light snapping noise. Quickly discovered there was sparking across the coil (which is also new). Tried a brand new one, same thing, tried the old 6v coil, same thing. sometimes it's a small spark from the +ve and -ve terminals and sometimes it's great big spark to the centre electrode. Scratching head .....

Spent the last couple of days finding and fixing a number of subtle issues. I now have all sparks rounded up and heading where they're supposed to, no more timing scatter, and consistent fueling. Went out for a 40 mile thrash at tea time and everything seems to be in order. Relieved to be back on track 😎

Oh, wait, the temperature gauge isn't working ....

Mark my co-driver drove the car to the drivers meet and said he thought the clutch was biting a bit low and needed bleeding. So tried to bleed it today, what a mistake! Dolly 1500 clutches are renowned to be a bar steweard to bleed.

I had tried to make things easier bv installing a remote bleed nipple on the bulkhead with and aeroquip hose to the normal nipple position on the slave, jhowever it didn't seem to work too well!

After 3 hours ish of trying and 1L of fluid I decided to take follow so me advice given by Justin from the Dolly Club. I took the slave off clamped it and bled off the car. It Bled successfully so I'd recommend this to anyone else having trouble bleeding a Dolly clutch. I found that a valve spring compressor made a great tool for clamping the slave too.

Remote bleed set up now removed as a bad idea!

All seems to be okay at the moment.

Handbrake lever lifts itself up one click when taking up drive which is a bit odd! Holding the lever down for a few seconds stops it popping back up.

Hopefully got Karl coming again this evening to give it a bit of a tune up. The 2000 started running like a bag of farts on Saturday, but I changed the rotor arm which helped a lot. Got a spare set of ignition kit on order, plus a few other bits and bobs.

I've now done a few hundred miles without any real issue, so I'm comfortable with the car other than running a touch rich... I might tweak that down this evening as the fuel economy is terrible too!

I thought I was ready.......silly me,where's the fun in that!

Whilst putting rain X on the screening lifted the wipers and noticed the n/s was loose......very loose.
The only thing stopping the spindle being inside the car was the arm!

Bit of fiddling about had the other spitfire relieved of its spindle and it's now sorted......(tried a herald one but the spindle is shorter.....shame as I have a few of them).
Just means I'll need to buy one for the blue car later.
Must make a list of what I've robbed.....this is the trouble with getting a back up car ready at the last minute!

Just need to balance the carbs now.

Ahhhhhh...grrrr. So just when I thought I was all done, now the cooling fan has packed up due to failure of the new fan switch I fitted a few weeks back when I replaced the radiator. So tomorrow I will be replacing it with the old one that was working perfectly. Other than that, all good to go..