• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from Stuart Wilson

Also thinking might put some new tyres on, tread is like new but there of them have been completely flat for nearly a year. So thinking the side walls will probably be damaged

I wouldn't risk 2000 miles on tyres that have been flat for a year.
But then, I wouldn't risk any more miles than from my home to the tyre fitters on tyres that had been flat for a year!

They don't even need to have gone flat to get flat-spotted if they been standing for months.  Best case, they rattle your fillings out for a few miles until they warm up and they go round again.  Worse case they are permanently deformed.  I wouldn't run tyres that have been stood flat for any length of time.

Nick

Team 50's Stag:
Swapped the differential again today.

Managed to seal some more leaky joints on the exhaust.
Changed the oil and filter.

Wired up the Cibié Oscar spotlights which I'll be using for the RBRR.
Wired up the 220W electric fan which helps the temperature gauge stay on the low side of "N" even in today's heat and traffic.
Half-wired the relays for Dip and Main but ran out of time.

Press Day on Saturday so there's be blind people and dogs all over the car and hopefully some good pics in the newspapers. Should up the ante a bit.

Richard

Down to little jobs now!

Had a good ferret around the ignition wiring as I had a conk out on a roundabout the other day in the dark whch was fixed by wriggling the ignition wires under the bonnet. Unable to find anything untoward though and I've put 150 miles on it since without any issues. The drivers meet next week will also be a good shakedown trip.

Fitted some new seats (well 2nd hand seats, courtesy of Dave Tongue) to the "Flying Log", Drivers one without the bodges rips and splits that the original had, Passenger one in about the same condition as mine but changed both as the chocolate brown hadn't faded as much on the replacements.

Got fed up with waiting for my Daughters hairdryer to turn up so I could shrink some heatshrink on wiring I did the other week so went and bought a heat gun from Screwfix. Proper tool for the job that I've never owned and never needed but hairdryers are scarce in my house with my baldy bonce! . Heat shrink over the terminals and joints for the electronic ignition feed and the relayed, fused sockets I fitted under the dash.

Took the courtesy light switches out and cleaned them with a wire bush, I now have working courtesy lights again!

Used some Gunk to clean the engine bay as this hasn't been done for 2 1/2 years and was getting a bit oily.

Took the passenger side wiper box nut and sealing washer off and applied some silicone sealant. This follows a bit of advice from Carl Shakespeare as I have an untraceable leak above the dash and Carl with his decades of Dolly experience reckons this is the most usual point of water entry.

So........ now the MOT is passed I'm getting some miles on the Toledo and I find that it overheats, the brakes are rubbish and there is a noisy wheel bearing. The engine struggles to run when there is a large current draw, the wipers are certainly not comparable to a modern car, there are several oil leaks and I'm broke!!!

In order to address at least some of these issues the radiator is going in to be re-cored tomorrow, a new thermostat and water pump are going to be fitted, I'll change the head gasket and timing cover gasket and oil seal on Sunday. I've ordered new brake discs and wheel bearings so I may get them done Sunday too/.

The seats are non reclining so I've still got to install my MGTF ones.

So Tim..... ready with  3 weeks to go: I really wish I was!!!! 🙂

Oh dear, not a good night. Came in from the garage at 10.15pm with the overdrive still not working. It now appears to be mechanical rather than electrical.

Funny, it was working before we removed the gearbox to change the clutch. (Although it was sometimes slow to engage.)

More investigations when time allows

Blimey, true enough.

Sort of loose my ambition to sort the car, you always find something else!

Recent works:
New rear shockers: Koni
New rear springs: Shacktune
Pedal bushes
Gearbox in and out, well why not!
Painted the bulkhead-red oxide-nice!
Rebuilt the parcel shelf

Jobs to do:
Fix light switch: (to quote Dave Kent & James Cooper '5 years, 5 years and its still *****d)!
Tune her-easy as carbs!
Fit new heater valve
May have to change the clutch M cyl.

Decided to fit Yellowstuff pads for the run as two drivers aren't familiar with the Stag and it's automatic! A job for after work today.....

And I'm told the new hardtop seal will be delivered this week so Saturday's run to the DM might be the last open run this year.

Richard

Managed to get a bit more progress today on the 1500tc without any setbacks.
jobs left to do;-
refit petrol tank and connect to fuel line
fit rear brakes (cylinders, shoes and pipes)
remove discs and calipers from kynki toledo and fit to 1500tc ( calipers seized and no time to sort them) and new pipes
fit horn , front grills and bumper
fit one track rod end
replace 2 head lights that have blown
sort out wheels and tyres
fit thermostat and top hose
fit middle and tail pipe of exhaust
some repairs still need stoneguarding / primer ( no time to paint car it is what it is)
might have to replace rear springs and shockers
oil and filter and change gearbox oil, check rear axle , and other servicing
maybe a few other small jobs cant see anything major now.

hopefully have a good weekend to do all the above if not most of it then get it in for MOT later on next week.

now things are coming together and close to being finished im really looking forward to the RBRR

STEVE

New rear flexi-hoses fitted to the rear brakes last night. Absolutely terrible quality which turned a ten minute job into near two hours. You shouldn't have to re-cut threads on a brand new part...

Gotta strip the rear brakes down now as the o/s/r is still sticking. I was hoping it was the flexi as it'd been rubbing on a half-shaft, which seems to be a common occurrence with this car! Take that as a warning to anyone who has a lowering block and puts weight in the boot.

I can't see it going to the drivers meeting.