Relays now fitted to headlights, Alison changed the engine oil, and topped up the gearbox oil. Bit of a leak there, to be looked at next year. Could be breather, could be seals, although the box was rebuilt not that many miles ago. I did hear about some gearbox casings being porous.  Damn I hate taking the Stag gearbox out.

James came round last night to use the press and put in a couple of new front lower ball joints for his RBRR PI. We tightened the float bowl screws on the Stag, hopefully that will stop the fuel smell when its left standing. Also tightened up the head(s) to timing cover bolts which were seeping oil.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Radders - probably something you already know/checked - I've had an issue in the past when refilling the gearbox on a slight slope that the oil didn't make it's way into the OD, and when it did the level was too low to allow proper operation of the OD. Before you go much further is it worth over filling the GB oil (only by a small amount) running it and trying to engage OD and then re-checking the level (and maybe letting a little oil back out to get back to true level?)

Progress has slowed for team 74 after a visit to hospital yesterday for an eye irritation was found to be something stuck in my eye, got to wait till tuesday at the eye clinic to have it removed, so im just doing whatever i can till its sorted ..... its going to be very close.

Ignition issues fixed this morning then the car still wouldn't start, completely dead no dash lights etc. Strange as it was working fine yesterday morning. Hooked up the jump pack which started beeping immediately meaning battery problem. Multimeter showed about 7 volts across the terminals so off to Halfords for a new battery. Installed and everything working. Also checked for a leakage current just in case it was a current drain causing the battery problem but that appears normal, just enough to run the clock. Time for some road testing again but not until tomorrow now. Too much else to do.

Been using my Beige beauty for a few weeks now off and on, noticed a new noise from the engine at idle the other night whilst opening the garage, turns out the water pump bearing had collapsed   but with no loss of coolant. Not wishing to push my luck, I decided to drive to the DM yesterday in the modern. New pump and alternator belt fitted today and importantly no noise! Stickers applied and bodywork polished. Oil and filter change next Saturday on the ramp at work and team 138 are all set for the off.. well unless anything else goes wrong with car in the next 10 days..

Quoted from yorkshire_spam
Radders - probably something you already know/checked - I've had an issue in the past when refilling the gearbox on a slight slope that the oil didn't make it's way into the OD, and when it did the level was too low to allow proper operation of the OD. Before you go much further is it worth over filling the GB oil (only by a small amount) running it and trying to engage OD and then re-checking the level (and maybe letting a little oil back out to get back to true level?)

Hi, oil levels are fine. Overdrive now working. When I removed the gearbox to change the clutch, the solenoid wasn't done up all the way on the top bolt and the solenoid was sitting crooked, so stupidly I tightened it.
This had obviously been done for a reason because as soon as I had tightened it, the overdrive no longer worked.

So, a long morning (and early afternoon) session of trial and error and finally......correct adjustment and we now have a working overdrive!

Team Gertie are finally good to go. 🙂

One step forward but a bigger one backwards for Team Flying Log today.

The exhaust flange gasket started blowing on the way to the Drivers meet, nothing unexpected there as they don't last long on 1500 engines!

Fixed that today, but had a lot of trouble getting the flange joint apart, had to use a lump hammer and a bit of 3x2 on the downpipe and although this did separate the joint in the end I slipped with the wood and it broke the plastic bit on the rear carburetor jet... (Picture below)

New on ordered from Paddocks on line but the car is now sitting in the garage with Carbs removed waiting for a new jet assembly to arrive.

Stickers now mounted on Motorway Grade magnetic sign sheet ready to go on the car. Currently sitting on my Fridge to keep them Flat!

I've also doctored the Rally Plaque from the last RBRR to hide the 2014 date with Union Jacks. I'm going to put this on the bonnet. Pity there were no plaques this year as I collect them