• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still made no more progress with the Moss, been bust with other things. Looking more and more likely we'll be back out doing it in the Sprint engine TR7. Well once I get the distributor back, front suspension overhauled and an MOT put on it.

Once we've made the final decision I'll let Jason know if we are changing cars

Team 30 have their back up car taxed and Mot'd.  Only advisories were the apparent requirement to state surface rust on front springs and struts 🤔 - or was that my excellent MOT guy being cautious!

Now to see if we can get AFH sorted in time to use in stead.

MUT

team 47 now back from holiday touring the areas around trossachs, loch lomond and glencoe.
we completed nearly 1300 miles.
prior to the tour replaced all fuel pipes with ethonal resistant pipes and also fitted two new calipers and mintex pads.
equipment failures on tour;   throttle return spring which resulted in off throttle idle surge.
                                          wiper arm spring snapped.
                                          clutch master cylinder failed.
all sorted on tour.
used about 1 pint oil, averaged nearly 45mpg and zero over heating or coolant loss.
have a 1500 head which if get round to it, will have converted to unleaded.
the 1500 head should slightly lower compression on 1300 block which i believe will help negate potential for pinging with modern fuel burn.
will also fit better head gasket hopefully reduce chances of oil leak.

Quoted from aleksandar

have a 1500 head which if get round to it, will have converted to unleaded.
the 1500 head should slightly lower compression on 1300 block which i believe will help negate potential for pinging with modern fuel burn.
will also fit better head gasket hopefully reduce chances of oil leak.

I suspect you may be able to run on just about anything with a 1500 head on a 1300, not just modern fuels....

Compression will be very low.

You could get it skimmed (a lot)

Cheers

Colin

Gertie the Mk1 saloon has had a replacement diff, new rear gas shocks, new front wheel bearings, new front brake pads, with new rear shoes following soon.

I've also finally got round to moving the electric fuel pump to a more favourable position in case it gives in. (we would have had to remove the front wheel to get at the bolts in it's original position)

A recent 1600 mile trip to (Very Northern) Scotland revealed nothing to worry about, so we're looking good to go. 🙂

Quoted from timbancroft61
Took the Saloon to North Wales for a walking trip over the weekend, she ran like a train.

Just a few small jobs: fit the new rear springs and rear shockers and the new propshaft that I purchased from Mr Shacktune last year. Little bit of bodywork to do and tidy up the interior and the car would be good for the event. In fact, she could cope with the RBRR in its present state. Fantastic cars these old Triumph saloons!

have you fixed the window winders/

We're looking good on the Toledo front, which is great but a shame too as I really wanted to do the event in my spitfire.
Toledo has all new brakes, shocks, springs, full exhaust _ only the over axle pipe was rusty but availability and size problems led me to a gradual acquiring of a full system only to snap the down pipe studs and having to whip off the manifold too!
New steel wheels and tyres, gear linkage bushes and some other bits and pieces done I'm beginning to feel something for the car so maybe an overdrive box if I can get one in time!!

I'm now trying to sort out brackets to fit the Cibié Oscar spotlights to the front of Team 50's Stag without having them scrape on sleeping policemen or blank off the airflow through the radiator! Above or below the bumper? Decisions, decisions!

If you're worried about affecting the cooling you could fit a spoiler (if you haven't already).  I had one on my Stag and it lowered the temperature significantly and helped high speed stability too.  I used a TR6 spoiler from Rimmers - quite a common fitting and doesn't look too intrusive.

My beige beauty number 2 is off to the bodyshop tomorrow. a few area's will be painted that I have prepared and epoxy primed. A small plate is also going to be stitched into the offside outer sill and nearside rear wing lower corner. Then once back home, just the rear shoes and cylinders to replace and another engine oil change before I'm ready for the run..

Good to see that so many of the cars are coming together, once again the RBRR will be graced by some interesting Triumph cars.

At present, we have 150no cars on the event, by far the largest amount that has started the event-blimey!

Amazed to see that Dave Kent is getting his Toledo ready......normally he makes me nervous by leaving it until the eve of the RBRR to start on the car. Sad to see BOK in the pics, looking forlorn.

(By the way, Dave, the window winders were in for last years 10CR)!

My prep work will consist of changing the prop and re-building the driveshafts, not sure when this will happen though!