• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Managed to spray the Toledo roof today. Gunmetal grey. It is OK, actually not bad really as it is supposed to be a "tidy up" and the car is worth tuppence ha'penny.
So just the bonnet to primer, then spray the rest of the car with the "authentic" PO red paint I bought (legitimately I may add!)
So the weather is about to get a bit chilly, may have to wait until next week...

The Mk1 will be leaving the elements this weekend and going into the workshop for initial RBRR prep - there's a slight fuel leak somewhere so that needs looking at. There are other concerns too, but fuel is the main one. Also the electric fan I fitted makes the whole car vibrate, so I may re-mount that at some point too.

Rewire the CD player as that has packed up, but I think it's just wiring as the thing still powers up, just shuts off straight away.

Make a pod for the rev counter to sit in on the dash somewhere, and therefore wire in the rev counter.

I'll probably be rebuilding the brakes too as they're not 100% at the minute.

Retrieve the Mk1 from its 12 year old hiding place. And do the following:

• find two drive shafts somewhere. I nicked these from the car when the ones on my 2500 Mk2 were rubbish. Maybe I have the 2500 shafts somewhere but I would like to have decent shafts
    weld in the new rear half wings from Lloyd as soon as I receive these (December?)
    weld the boot floor at tits fron end
    maybe some more welding at the rear floor - not sure hwat it was like
    check to see if the exhaust has not fallen off
    check if the engine still runs!
    check if the clutch works
    check if the OD works
    get new tyres. Car has 15" Revolutions which make the tyre choice a little easier
    fit an electric power steering column. It has wider tyres, a smaller steering wheel and the rack has a more direct gearing. Not sure how that is possible but it definitively is comparing it with the other Mk1 we have in the shed, The previous fanatic owner somehow got that fitted,

Hmmmm

Despite our failure in the 2014 RBRR, using the Stag for the event has felt like taking the soft option. So for 2016 we intend to use the Standard 10. There is much to do to prepare the car for the event. The car is to be upgraded (using all Standard/Triumph parts of course) the past 12 months have been spent planning and acquiring the various parts needed. Now to start the build which will include replacing the engine with a Spitfire 1300 unit, twin carbs, all syncro gearbox and disc brake conversion at the front.
Sean

Mine had its MOT on Monday. Failed on a few mechanical bits, but over all not too bad. The good news was that the chassis is as solid as I thought (and hoped) when I bought the car.

The interesting failure point was OSR wheel bearing - lots of movement, possible cause of the strange noise I was getting at about 60 on the way to and from the Essex 12 car last month. Other major point raised was the steering rack which needs replacing. Also NSF wheel bearing needs adjusting, tie bar bushes need replacing, brake light switch is faulty, and the passenger wiper doesn't!

All quite do-able - so a nice new MOT should be with me soon, then it's just a case of new tyres and more miles before October. I've done probably getting on towards 3000 miles in the car since buying it in July and haven't yet had any problems. While still keeping everything firmly crossed I think that it should be OK.

Started to think about preparing the Stag and as mechanically things seemed ok I thought I'd sort out a few rust bubbles. No drama until I got to the drivers side front wing, there didn't seem to be any metal left under the paint bubble so a bit of a tart up has turned into major surgery!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Team 45 reporting in.
Toledo has had a  a couple of doors, two replacement front wings and a coat of paint (last bit was supposed to be a quick "do it in a day" jobbie, but took 3 as I relented and actually chucked a coat of primer on and flatted it back before chucking the PO red paint on....)
Exhaust manifold leak fixed
leaky rad hose fixed
Just a few bits of exterior trim and the interior to fit and should be good to go. Bear in mind the engine/box/axle were all unknowns and have done about 50 miles in this car, a good shakedown will be required. However, I am planning to use it as a daily (as long as I don't have to park in town, I have a permit on the modern) so it will see some regular abuse use soon.
May need to "play" with teh suspension too, seems to have a soft rear (ooooer) despite new springs and recentish shocks. Front seems higher than with the 1500 engine/box, which is bizarre. Tried sprint springs/shocks and about the same....

Team 127 ...engine and drive train all fine and dandy...car just missing an MOT ..it ran out ... need to weld a hole in the floor...put there whilst autosoloing last year... various bits of upgrading being done , to bring it up to regs etc  will be doing a few event pre RBRR...and i do have a spare engine in the workshop just in case

Team 80's preparation hasn't advanced very much recently. Christmas was the main culprit, but cold weather and laziness have played their parts as well! I'm hoping to get some wheels at Stoneleigh - among other things - hopefully I'll make some progress after the Warwickshire 12 car, although, to be honest, there's not that much to do.

• 3 weeks later...

My list is
1. Fit Roof
2. Fit some soundproofing
3. fit some carpet
4. Paint the floor and rear interior of the tub.
5. Fit driving/fog lamps
6. fit electric fan
7. Try to get two panels the same colour....

But I have an MOT ticket, rebuilt box,diff, head,brakes,dizzy, electrics uprated with fuses alternator and relays... erm

8 oh fit some sills if I get chance!
9. Small bit of waiting for 10 other entries to drop out